Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:56 AM   #1
Regina647
macrumors newbie

Apple TV 3 no sound. PLS HELP :)

I have a HITACHI 55HDM71 55" plasma & the new apple tv.
TV SPECS:
http://www.retrevo.com/search?q=Hita...modelid=371764

I've tried so many things and still cannot get any sound from my apple tv. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

So far I have connected my ATV to my TV using a DVI - HDMI convertor.
I have an Optical Audio to 3.5mm cable which i've connected from the ATV to my TV as well. STILL NO SOUND.

Are there any settings on my itunes, Apple TV, or TV itself that I need to adjust?

Please help

-Regina
Regina647 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 03:21 AM   #2
DefBref
macrumors 6502

I doubt your TV has a spdif input, so using the optical to 3.5mm cable won't work.

You'll probably need to convert the optical output to analog before you can use it with your TV. Assuming it has an analog input that you can associate with the DVI input (most TVs do).
DefBref is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 10:59 AM   #3
mchalebk
macrumors 6502a

That optical connection on your TV is almost certainly an output, not an input, so that won't work.

Your best bet would be an adapter that takes the DVI and optical output of the AppleTV and combines then into a single HDMI output. Here's a link to one at Monoprice:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
mchalebk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:41 AM   #4
Batt
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalebk View Post
That optical connection on your TV is almost certainly an output, not an input, so that won't work.

Your best bet would be an adapter that takes the DVI and optical output of the AppleTV and combines then into a single HDMI output. Here's a link to one at Monoprice:

ATV2 has an optical out and an HDMI out - no DVI out.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:42 AM   #5
DefBref
macrumors 6502

If he does have an HDMI input then just use a HDMI cable, why would he need to combine the optical with dvi output when the atv already has a HDMI output.

His problem is the TV doesn't have a HDMI input.
DefBref is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:18 PM   #6
Gee
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina647 View Post
I have a HITACHI 55HDM71 55" plasma & the new apple tv.
TV SPECS:
http://www.retrevo.com/search?q=Hita...modelid=371764

I've tried so many things and still cannot get any sound from my apple tv. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

So far I have connected my ATV to my TV using a DVI - HDMI convertor.
I have an Optical Audio to 3.5mm cable which i've connected from the ATV to my TV as well. STILL NO SOUND.

Are there any settings on my itunes, Apple TV, or TV itself that I need to adjust?

Please help

-Regina
As the guy above notes, it's your Optical audio to 3.5 mm cable that's not working. Your audio inputs in your TV are purely analogue, so won't take 3.5mm optical. What you need is a box that converts optical audio to analogue audio. You'd then run a standard optical cable form the apple tv to the box, and a whatever-analogue-audio-connector to 3.5 analogue jack to your TV.

Or, you could buy a new TV
Gee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 02:46 PM   #7
mchalebk
macrumors 6502a

Okay, I got confused earlier, when the OP stated "So far I have connected my ATV to my TV using a DVI - HDMI convertor." I was thinking of all those people trying to connect their Macs (with DVI) to their HDTVs.

Anyway, I took a look at the specs for his TV and it has DVI in and analog audio in. There is no optical audio in or out. In fact, it's kind of hard to figure out what the audio capabilities of this unit are. It is called a monitor, and has some optional speaker unit. Assuming the OP has this option, it looks like there are only analog inputs for audio. They seem to be labeled "RGB 1" and "RGB 2", so I'm not sure if audio works with the DVI input. Assuming it does, an optical to analog converter can be used with an HDMI to DVI adapter to get audio and video to the unit.

Here's a link to a Monoprice optical to analog adapter:

mchalebk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 02:58 PM   #8
irishtike
macrumors member

one reason the optical audio cable isn't work is that most TV's don't have an optical audio IN, port. whatever port you plugged that into was an optical audio out port as well.
you would need a stereo receiver with an optical audio IN and some house speakers for it to work.
irishtike is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater