Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scotland007

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
My wife has a 3GS that her contract is up this May. She will be moving up to a new iPhone however since the contract will have expired on the 3GS (ATT pockets full), could this phone be handed down to one of our kids without the data plan since the contract has been fulfilled?

I know ATT can tag the IMEI and force the data plan but just wondered if anyone has got round this once the contract is over?

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
I think theonly way to skirt the data plan is to cancel the line and get a prepaid sim. Logic would say after contract expires you SHOULD be able to get any plan but cell companies dont really subscribe to logic when it comes to them losing money :rolleyes:

martiansoldier

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2010
My wife has a 3GS that her contract is up this May. She will be moving up to a new iPhone however since the contract will have expired on the 3GS (ATT pockets full), could this phone be handed down to one of our kids without the data plan since the contract has been fulfilled?

I know ATT can tag the IMEI and force the data plan but just wondered if anyone has got round this once the contract is over?

There is a way, at least it has been working on one of my lines on an iPhone 3G for almost 3 years now (1.5 years on contract and the rest out of contract). I must mention though that the iPhone 3G itself was bought off eBay to use on a line that was already on contract with an AT&T dumbphone.

Insert the SIM in a dumbphone, call AT&T and request them to restrict all data on that particular line (there is no charge for this). Check on the dumbphone if you can still access data and after you confirm that you cannot, reinsert the SIM back on the iPhone and voila.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
OP - All the posters are assuming you want the iPhone to function as a an actual phone. I notice you didn't say that for certain, though.

If that's what you wanted then listen to them. But if that's not the case and you really just want it to be an iPod then you can cancel the contract, put it in airplane mode, and keep using it as an iPod Touch forever.

wacky4alanis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
The canceling all data strategy doesn't always work. They still added the data plan to my wife's 3G after a few months.

scotland007

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
Thanks Guys, yes the intention is still to use it as a Phone, she is 12 so i want to limit her to Phone and Wifi only.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
Get a GoPhone SIM and make it into a GoPhone. I do this with my littler sister and pay about $15 a month for unlimited text and just 10¢ a minute, which she doesn't talk that much. I don't buy her data.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
The last time I looked at prepaid sims was 2 years ago, back when it didn't work on iPhones. They do now?

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
The last time I looked at prepaid sims was 2 years ago, back when it didn't work on iPhones. They do now?

My sister currently uses an iPhone 3G with a GoPhone SIM, it works perfect. All you need is the SIM, no jailbreaking or altering required.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
My sister currently uses an iPhone 3G with a GoPhone SIM, it works perfect. All you need is the SIM, no jailbreaking or altering required.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm guessing you can cut the prepaid SIM down and get it working in an iPhone 4 also?

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
Thanks for the clarification. I'm guessing you can cut the prepaid SIM down and get it working in an iPhone 4 also?

I'm guessing you could do that. I don't think there are any GoPhone phones that support a MicroSIM so I think cutting down a normal one would be the only choice. However, it might be worth asking AT&T to just give you a MicroSIM activated with a GoPhone.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
The canceling all data strategy doesn't always work. They still added the data plan to my wife's 3G after a few months.

Same here.
They will detect you're using an iphone without an iphone data plan and they will send you a message that the appropriate data plan has been added to your account.
Only way to avoid it is to go prepaid gosim or unlock it and use it on tmobile.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Same here.
They will detect you're using an iphone without an iphone data plan and they will send you a message that the appropriate data plan has been added to your account.
Only way to avoid it is to go prepaid gosim or unlock it and use it on tmobile.

Was this recently implemented by AT&T? I've bought iPhones on MR or EBay and used them with my AT&T account without being put on a data plan. Since I have wifi network majority of the time, I never wanted to pay for a data plan.

I did disable cellular data though, maybe that prevents it from happening? My wife has a iPhone 2G currently with no data plan attached, also data disabled (maybe I should double check our account!)

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Was this recently implemented by AT&T? I've bought iPhones on MR or EBay and used them with my AT&T account without being put on a data plan. Since I have wifi network majority of the time, I never wanted to pay for a data plan.

I did disable cellular data though, maybe that prevents it from happening? My wife has a iPhone 2G currently with no data plan attached, also data disabled (maybe I should double check our account!)

It has been happening since last summer to alot of people. They dont do it with the iphone 2G but with 3G, 3GS and i4 once the system does IMEI scans and detects it then it adds the data plan and sends you a text.
Some have got away for months others got caught sooner. Try at your own risk.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Gotcha, thanks. I am actually on a plan now anyway so it's no longer an issue for me.

The cheap 200MB/month plan works fine for me (even though it's poor value per MB), I get the benefit of push email, GPS maps, etc. and the occasional web browsing, and I have never gone over 200MB.

whawhat

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006

My AT$T contract ends on Monday and I'm looking to dump the data plan as well since I'm usually near a wi-fi connection (have a 3G). Is it possible to just renew w. AT&T, ask for a free phone that requires no data plan and then just put that sim into my old 3G w. the 3G, cellular data, and data roaming switched to off? Thanks.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
My AT$T contract ends on Monday and I'm looking to dump the data plan as well since I'm usually near a wi-fi connection (have a 3G). Is it possible to just renew w. AT&T, ask for a free phone that requires no data plan and then just put that sim into my old 3G w. the 3G, cellular data, and data roaming switched to off? Thanks.
Nope... they will still tac a data plan on your account when they see you're using an iPhone.

sbddude

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2010
Nor Cal, USA

Also, no need to renew (and be subject to a contract).

2 options:

1. get a used dumbphone from CL, get the data block and then try to get by with that. some have reported success.

2. port your number to gophone, then put that SIM card in your iphone. No data required for gophone

whawhat

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
Also, no need to renew (and be subject to a contract).

2 options:

1. get a used dumbphone from CL, get the data block and then try to get by with that. some have reported success.

2. port your number to gophone, then put that SIM card in your iphone. No data required for gophone

good idea - gonna drop my SIM into my old motorola and get the data block turned on tuesday. worth a shot. thanks very much.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I would also use a custom APN from this website so data is turned off on your phone side too-

http://iphonenodata.com/site/

I always used this just to make sure I wasn't racking up data charges. Maybe it could help prevent AT&T detecting you have a smartphone and automatically applying a data plan to your account, I don't know. No harm in using it though-

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.