Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps

Old Apr 14, 2011, 08:46 AM   #1
Philflow
macrumors 65816

"Sleep Cycle App is Fake" ?!

I was very interested in the sleep cycle app but now I'm reading this in the reviews:

"The application is FAKE. If you place the phone on for instance a table over night instead it still shows statistics depicting a persons sleep. SO unless my apartment is haunted by ghosts I do not think the table moves around by itself.

http://www.148apps.com/reviews/sleep...#ixzz1JVKIgBEv

I like most of us was intrigued my the technology, data and potential for feeling better in the morning. The problem is, this app is SNAKE OIL....it's a lie. When placed on a table far away from you it will create a nice movement graph as if you have gone through sleep cycles all night. It will also awaken you at a random time. And this is based on WHAT?

I loved this app for a while until I discovered its a huge joke... I left my phone far away from me on the floor as well as on a dresser two nights in a row and magically I have a sleep cycle graph! Don't waste your money.

http://itunes.apple.com/en/app/sleep...20606217?mt=8#

Is this true?

Last edited by Philflow; Apr 21, 2011 at 07:09 AM.
Philflow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 09:06 AM   #2
Skengman
macrumors member

Based on those reviews, I would say yes...

I don't have it but I too was mildly interested until I read reviews saying it was nonsense.

It's only 59p (99cents), why don't you download it and let us know?
Old Apr 14, 2011, 09:15 AM   #3
Philflow
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skengman View Post
It's only 59p (99cents), why don't you download it and let us know?
Because I don't have an Iphone/Ipod yet

This app made me consider buying one.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 01:54 PM   #4
drummr
macrumors regular

Ya it's fake, I bought it soon after it first came out and all it does is wakes you up about 25 minutes before your set time.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 02:05 PM   #5
Satori
macrumors 6502a

Shame...

anyone know if Absalt EasyWakeup is also a fake?
Satori is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 02:27 PM   #6
Philflow
macrumors 65816

I have a hard time believing it's fake. There are thousands of positive reviews.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 04:28 PM   #7
RebeccaL
macrumors 6502a

Here is the real thing:

http://www.sleeptracker.com/

Is is a watch that does measure your sleep cycle.
RebeccaL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 05:46 PM   #8
iApples
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philflow View Post
I have a hard time believing it's fake. There are thousands of positive reviews.
It seemed pretty real when I used it.
iApples is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2011, 07:03 AM   #9
Philflow
macrumors 65816

Several people on other forums have confirmed me that it's real and that they get a straight line when they place it on a table.
Philflow is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2011, 04:54 AM   #10
Philflow
macrumors 65816

I got the Ipod Touch G4 now and the Sleep Cycle app.

I can confirm it's NOT fake. When place on the table I get a straight line. When placed in bed I get a sleep analysis.

Amazing that the reviews that claim it's fake are still on the iTunes website frontpage.
Philflow is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:11 AM   #11
VulchR
macrumors 68000

In theory it would be possible to differentiate some stages of sleep from others. For instance, in some stages of sleep motor signals are blocked and therefore the muscle do not move ('sleep paralysis'). Movements and noise during sleep would be relatively easy to pick up with the iPhone's sensors, and would probably allow a fairly crude measure of sleep state. On the other hand if one had a noisy abode or one that shakes (e.g., near train tracks) the app would not be able to tell the difference between signals made by you and signals from other sources.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 01:56 PM   #12
Philflow
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulchR View Post
In theory it would be possible to differentiate some stages of sleep from others. For instance, in some stages of sleep motor signals are blocked and therefore the muscle do not move ('sleep paralysis').
It's not just in theory, that's exactly what it does.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:40 AM   #13
nathanl1192
macrumors member

Sleep Cycle needs one, sometimes two, nights to calibrate to your accelerometer. Usually the calibration is not needed but on some (very few) devices the accelerometer is too sensitive and can detect movement when there was none during the first one or two nights. If you place your iPhone/iPod in bed, according to the instructions, then this is not a problem.

When calibrated, Sleep Cycle is extremely sensitive to movement. It can detect the slightest vibrations. For example, you walking past the iPhone/iPad or a car/truck passing by on the street outside.

When you place your iPhone/iPad on a flat surface then Sleep Cycle detects very little movement. It then assumes that the users movements are very difficult to detect and goes into a mode where every movement is treated very seriously (and creates a big spike in the graph).

If you still feel Sleep Cycle creates inaccurate graphs, you can contact the developer. They analyze your data and check if you have discovered an issue with the Sleep Cycle movement-detecting code.
nathanl1192 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2014, 06:04 PM   #14
manofaran
macrumors newbie

I have just been using the sleep cycle app for 10 nights. I was impressed 5 nights ago when after a very disturbed sleep the graphs confirmed this the following morning.

However last night I was awake twice, 2.5 hours apart and each time recorded the time when I was awake. Yet the graphs this morning suggest I slept the whole night through.

I am disillusioned and wonder is the whole thing a scam????
manofaran is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2014, 11:37 AM   #15
Quotenfrau
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaL View Post
Here is the real thing:

http://www.sleeptracker.com/

Is is a watch that does measure your sleep cycle.
are there other alternatives on the market?
Quotenfrau is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2014, 06:21 PM   #16
manofaran
macrumors newbie

Thanks for your suggestion Quotenfrau but I have been advised that the watch has produced the same misleading information as the phone app. In my case I was awake twice and wrote down the precise times, 2.30 and 5.00 am

The sleep cycle showed me as being in a deep sleep at these times. What a con job
manofaran is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2014, 04:18 PM   #17
Andymurphych
macrumors newbie

My Test

I bought this App a few days ago and was happy with it till I read this thread. So I spent all day today testing it. When I put it on a table it showed a sleep/wake pattern, BUT, when I put it on my mattress and left it for 4 hours it showed deep sleep (no movement) for the entire four hours.
I believe that when you lay it on a table it picks up every external vibration and interprets it as waking. The mattress seems to absorb external vibrations and therefore the mattress result is more accurate, which is probably why the instructions say specifically to lay it on your mattress
I'm going to continue using it!

Last edited by Andymurphych; Jun 21, 2014 at 04:23 PM.
Andymurphych is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2014, 04:23 PM   #18
MacDawg
macrumors P6

Quote:
Because I don't have an Iphone/Ipod yet

This app made me consider buying one.
Quote:
I got the Ipod Touch G4 now and the Sleep Cycle app.
You seriously considered an iPhone, and actually got an iPod touch just for this 99 sleep app?
MacDawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2014, 05:07 PM   #19
bkribbs
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDawg View Post
You seriously considered an iPhone, and actually got an iPod touch just for this 99 sleep app?
That post:

Apr 14, 2011, 10:15 AM
bkribbs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2014, 09:21 PM   #20
smithrh
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDawg View Post
I suppose if you've never had problems sleeping, then that would seem an extravagant expense, but at some point, you'll do or buy anything to get nice, restful, recharging sleep.

So while I'm not the person you're talking about, yes, I'd spend that kind of money to (potentially) fix a sleeping issue.
smithrh is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps