Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Mar 4, 2005, 03:55 AM   #1
SiG
macrumors newbie

Can't delete .dmg file

After installing msn messenger I can't delete the .dmg file that I downloaded. I just keep getting the message that:

'the file can't be moved because it is being used by another task. tasks include moving to the trash etc. try again after the task is finished.'

So just wondering if anyone has any suggestioins on how I can delete this file from my desktop? Thanks for any help!
SiG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 04:27 AM   #2
Mitthrawnuruodo

Do you still have a (white) virtual disk on your desktop, named messenger (or whatever), maybe you even start messenger from that "disk"? Berfore trashing dmg files you have to eject the virtual disk(s) it opens...
Old Mar 4, 2005, 04:31 AM   #3
SiG
macrumors newbie

Can't delet /dmg file

There's no virtual disk on my desktop, I've already ejected that, but I just cant do anything with the .dmg file... very frustrating!

Thanks anyway
Old Mar 4, 2005, 04:37 AM   #4
mikebatho
macrumors 6502a

delete

try changing the file extension to rtf

open it in text edit, tick the fancy text box thing, save as over the original then delete it...

Thats how I delete impossible lingering files....
mikebatho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 04:39 AM   #5
MemphisSoulStew
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiG
After installing msn messenger I can't delete the .dmg file that I downloaded. I just keep getting the message that:

'the file can't be moved because it is being used by another task. tasks include moving to the trash etc. try again after the task is finished.'

So just wondering if anyone has any suggestioins on how I can delete this file from my desktop? Thanks for any help!
Try this Apple support document. The header states it's for OS 10.2 but it maybe applicable to other OS'es.

EDIT: Ah, beaten to it - the linked doc has the same process of renaming to a .rtf file.
Old Mar 4, 2005, 04:42 AM   #6
mikebatho
macrumors 6502a

Hah...

Yeah, you have to open TEXT EDIT, then go to open & check the box there. It won't open just by double clicking the file or doing OPEN WITH.....
mikebatho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 04:46 AM   #7
Mitthrawnuruodo

And you've restarted your machine and/or repaired permissions (the wonderdrug against everything), then tried trashing the dmg file again?

If so, and nothing happens, you could try the hard way: Terminal

Open Terminal and navigate to where the dmg file is (if it's the desktop, then it's easy) - remember you dont type the $s, just the commands, then press enter:
$ cd Desktop
To see if the file you is actually there
$ ls
A list of all files on your desktop should appear
$ rm YourFile.dmg
If that's not allowed, try
$ sudo rm YourFile.dmg
Then type your administrator password when asked

(If the file isn't on your desktop then there's a shortcut to navigating just type 'rm ' or 'sudo rm ' (no ''s, note the space) and drag the dmg file into Terminal window then press enter)...

If this doesnt get rid of then I guess you're stuck with it...

Last edited by Mitthrawnuruodo; Mar 4, 2005 at 04:49 AM. Reason: Replaced #s with $s
Mitthrawnuruodo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 04:55 AM   #8
SiG
macrumors newbie

.dmg deleting

Thanks guys I'll give all your suggestions a try, one of them should work!

Cheers it's appreciated! Can finally get rid of that stubborn file!!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store