Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Apr 15, 2011, 11:31 AM   #1
Maxington
macrumors 6502

WiFi Module Component Programming

I am looking for any info on being able to program/automate some sensors around my house using wifi and my mac.

Essentially an example would be to send an email to my smartphone when our garage is open for XX amount of time... or when the sensor is tripped while where not home.

This maybe a longshot but if anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
Maxington is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:53 PM   #2
chown33
macrumors 603

Email isn't sent "to your smartphone". It's sent to your email account. If you check it using your smartphone, that's not something the sender of the email has any control over.

What is your experience level in working with sensor networks, devices, etc.? What is your programming experience?

It sounds like you want a home automation system integrated with a computerized home security system. Some systems will do both, but not always, so you have to shop sensibly.

Starting from nothing at all, you should expect to spend at least a few hundred dollars to get started. If you already have something installed, such as sensors or controlled outlets or devices, the cost may be less. It depends on how well what you have can connect to the overall system architecture.
chown33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2011, 01:20 PM   #3
jtara
macrumors 65816

I don't think there's much out there for WiFi, because WiFi is pretty high-powered and expensive for remote sensor use.

Insteon and Z-Wave are common home automation solutions.

Insteon is mixed power-line and RF. Some products use power-line communication, some use RF, some use both. You need a gateway device to bridge your home network to Insteon.

Z-Wave is RF. Again, you need a gateway to bridge to your network.
jtara is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2011, 04:41 PM   #4
SidBala
macrumors 6502a

Check out Arduino and Xbee.

You can quite easily build a sensor that communicates to your mac via zigbee. You then need to have a mac program that sends you the email.
SidBala is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2011, 08:33 AM   #5
Maxington
macrumors 6502

Thanks for the help. The home automation route seems the way to go. Now to find some iPhone/iPad integration apps that go along with them.
Maxington is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming