Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

140957-lion_dev_preview_2_update.jpg

Apple has apparently just pushed out an update to its Mac OS X Lion Developer Preview 2 initially released late last month. While the changes included in the update obviously fall short of qualifying for an entirely new "Developer Preview 3", it is unknown exactly what tweaks have been made with the new update.
Download the Update by Running Software Update.
From systems that have developer preview 2 of Lion or Lion Server installed, run Software Update and download Mac OS X Lion Developer Preview 2 Update. You must also download Xcode 4.1 Developer Preview 3 available from the Mac Dev Center to build apps with this version of Lion.

If you have not yet downloaded developer preview 2 of Lion and Lion Server, get your redemption code from the Mac Dev Center then proceed to the Mac App Store to redeem your code and download Lion.
The update is appearing in Software Update for those with the Lion Developer Preview 2 installed, and Apple has sent out an email alerting all Mac OS X developers about the release. We've been told that the new build is 11A430e, compared to 11A419 for the original Developer Preview 2.

Article Link: Apple Releases Update to Mac OS X Lion Developer Preview 2

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
I'm really liking how Apple are putting these dev previews and updates out (no physical disks and such).

I wonder what's different in this one? Release log anyone?

iDoiStuff

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2011
Ontario, Canada
does this still have lag/freezing issues?

I know when lion beta was first released it would lag and freeze a lot! also it was very unstable, 80% of the apps would crash constantly.

noahtk

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2011
US
I hope this OS is to be bought & downloaded through the App Store and updates come through the generic "software update".

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
With the update notice officially stating When Lion ships this summer What are the chances the iMac refresh will happen at the same time? or will it be in the Fall instead?

mondesi43

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2007
With the update notice officially stating When Lion ships this summer What are the chances the iMac refresh will happen at the same time? or will it be in the Fall instead?

I think iMac overhaul is in the fall right after the back to school deals are over......

mikemac11

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
Looks like mostly bug fixes. Only thing new I have found is the result of putting a window out of focus.

iCal is still same design too.

Attachments

• e6ea3350-1a47-4c58-9e75-e8de45959397.png
    e6ea3350-1a47-4c58-9e75-e8de45959397.png
    51.1 KB · Views: 2,328

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH

Problem is the App Store. I don't think Apple thought about this in regards to the Mac App store having larger programs. Sure the iOS App store is easy....most apps are small.

The latest patch to Aperture for example.....I bought through the App store....and it had to download 600+ MB as the whole app just to patch, whereas people who already had it got a delta update through Software Update.

Here's hoping in Lion they merge the two somehow....at least with Apple apps.

-Kevin

masterjames

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2011
Dawsonville, GA
Oh my! I downloaded the software update for Developer Preview 2 and now I just have a blank white screen when I reboot.

I have tried to reboot multiple times and I have let the computer set for a while with no change. Still just a blank white screen.

Well, I am able to run it by booting into safe mode. After running in safe mode and then rebooting, it cleared a startup cache and then it booted up in normal mode, but crashed with a grey screen immediately to power the computer off. I am still able to boot and run in safe mode okay.

I am using a new 2011 MBP 13" with 8GB RAM and the i7 CPU.

Last edited:

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
Learn from Google? What has Google developed that's anything close to an OS? And no, Chrome OS doesn't count...it's a giant web browser, with Cloud Apps...
A new differential compression algorithm?

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.