Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Apr 15, 2011, 03:23 PM   #1
GFLPraxis
macrumors 604

Ads vs Sales

I'm working on building an application that will appeal to a specific but rather dedicated niche. I'm trying to figure out how best to monetize; simply selling the app for $1.99 or using advertisements. However, I simply have no idea how much money the ad-supported model translates to.

Is the general consensus to use AdMob or iAds?

What kind of returns are made on ads per user? Is there any studies or statistics I can refer to to get an idea of what I can expect depending on my users' usage patterns?
GFLPraxis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2011, 03:46 PM   #2
lee1210
macrumors 68040

One of the regulars around here, Sander, has a link to this in his signature:
http://www.curly-brace.com/iphone.html

It describes his personal experience with this topic, and what affect any price tag (vs. free) has on how many people will use your app, and how that affects revenues. I haven't written any apps for the app store myself, but it was an interesting read for me anyway, so hopefully it is helpful for you.

-Lee
lee1210 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2011, 04:09 PM   #3
Sander
macrumors 6502

That'd be me.

I'd say it depends a lot on the type of application you are talking about. If it's of the type "I need this for my work, and if I use it only once or twice, I'd gladly pay $2 for it because it saves me a lot of time" then go for paid. If its something that few people will use, but they will use it often (as in a reference manual of sorts), then these few people will generate many ad views, and making it ad-supported may be beneficial.
Sander is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2011, 04:19 PM   #4
chown33
macrumors 603

In general, the iOS platform provides a larger experience base with ads vs. paid. For example:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1085909

I suggest searching the iPhone/iPad Programming forum for similar threads:
http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135

Also be aware that the Mac App Store has a different profile than the iOS App Store. Even on the iOS App Store, iPad apps have a different profile than iPhone and iPod touch.
chown33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 02:02 PM   #5
GFLPraxis
macrumors 604

Much appreciated. As a sort of reference utility, I think I'll go the ad-supported route. A question, however. I suspect much of the userbase will be iPod Touch owners. Do ads cache when the iPod Touch is offline, or simply not display?
GFLPraxis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 02:25 PM   #6
Consultant
macrumors G5

You don't have an iOS device? Just turn on airplane mode and test your app.
Consultant is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming