Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Apr 16, 2011, 12:11 AM   #1
alien6p
macrumors newbie

MacBook Pro MagSafe Charger Broken

So I bought a brand new 2008 MacBook Pro not even 2 weeks ago. One of the features on it I liked was was magnet charger, despite being a bit awkwardly designed.

Well, it randomly stopped working the yesterday and I couldn't figure out why. Then I wiggled the connector a bit and found it came off completely. I was amazed; I'm not rough with it. It barely even comes outside of my room.

Seriously, I would expect more from a company that is supposedly the best in hardware design.

http://i.imgur.com/D4yVv.jpg

There's a pic of this nightmere.

Is there any way to fix this? If not, will I be able to get a charger free from Apple, given that I bought it not more than 2 weeks ago? And how long does it take to ship? I really need to use this laptop.

Thanks.
alien6p is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2011, 12:14 AM   #2
TheFarmer
macrumors 6502

Brand new 2008 model in 2011? Has it been sitting on the shelf for three years? Seeing that it is only two weeks old, I'm sure you'll have no problems getting it replaced. If you need it ASAP, visit an Apple store. If not, you will have to wait for it to ship.

Hope you get it figured it, sucks that your charger broke
Old Apr 16, 2011, 12:18 AM   #3
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by alien6p View Post
So I bought a brand new 2008 MacBook Pro not even 2 weeks ago.
MagSafe adapters with that connector type didn't exist in 2008. That's not the adapter that goes with that MBP. If you bought a refurb model, they may have substituted the newer adapter. If that's the case, simply return it for a replacement.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2011, 12:23 AM   #4
vincenz
macrumors 601

I'm sure theres a way to fix it, but unless you're a computer technician or know exactly what you're doing, I'd go to Apple with that.
vincenz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2011, 12:23 AM   #5
alien6p
macrumors newbie

I think I must be going senile...its 2011, not 2008!

And unfortunately, because I am in a rural area, there are no Apple Stores nearby.
alien6p is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2011, 03:32 PM   #6
NickZac
macrumors 68000

Call them and they will overnight you a new one. I've killed many of the chargers and I agree the newer MagSafe charger kinda sucks, but I have never had a charger that has not lasted for more than a year from any maker, as they tend to take a beating. Apple's charger in particular is a poor design that was intended to replace a rather poor design, and so it has failed miserably. I wish there were more 3rd party companies that make them.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 02:02 AM   #7
PwcrLinux
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alien6p View Post
I think I must be going senile...its 2011, not 2008!

And unfortunately, because I am in a rural area, there are no Apple Stores nearby.
Try go to Best Buy store in near your town, they have MagSafe in stock.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 02:21 AM   #8
iMackPro
macrumors 6502

its just a simple manufacturing error, when you make 1 million of something a few will randomly be defective, you shouldn't even have to call anyone just go anywhere where they sell magsafe and get it replaced.. since you said it was in a rural area you then might have to give someone a call of course. or buy one on eBay for cheap, my oem charger that came with my mac never leaves my workstation, but i have another knockoff that travels with me everywhere i go. this way if it breaks im not too worried, and im not out a lot of money, the knck off Magasfes are pretty cheap as well, and have no battery problems, and if they do apple will replace it anyways! despise all of this i personally, i like the new chargers i think they look a lot better than the white ones, though i had one for 4 years and it still works like its brand new. ( i hear these new chargers are less durable than the old) although i have no way of proving it, im just working on the cautious side.
White iPhone 4
iMackPro is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro