Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alien6p

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
So I bought a brand new 2008 MacBook Pro not even 2 weeks ago. One of the features on it I liked was was magnet charger, despite being a bit awkwardly designed.

Well, it randomly stopped working the yesterday and I couldn't figure out why. Then I wiggled the connector a bit and found it came off completely. I was amazed; I'm not rough with it. It barely even comes outside of my room.

Seriously, I would expect more from a company that is supposedly the best in hardware design.

http://i.imgur.com/D4yVv.jpg

There's a pic of this nightmere.

Is there any way to fix this? If not, will I be able to get a charger free from Apple, given that I bought it not more than 2 weeks ago? And how long does it take to ship? I really need to use this laptop.

Thanks.

TheFarmer

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2011
Brand new 2008 model in 2011? Has it been sitting on the shelf for three years? Seeing that it is only two weeks old, I'm sure you'll have no problems getting it replaced. If you need it ASAP, visit an Apple store. If not, you will have to wait for it to ship.

Hope you get it figured it, sucks that your charger broke :(

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
So I bought a brand new 2008 MacBook Pro not even 2 weeks ago.
MagSafe adapters with that connector type didn't exist in 2008. That's not the adapter that goes with that MBP. If you bought a refurb model, they may have substituted the newer adapter. If that's the case, simply return it for a replacement.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
I'm sure theres a way to fix it, but unless you're a computer technician or know exactly what you're doing, I'd go to Apple with that.

alien6p

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
I think I must be going senile...its 2011, not 2008! :p

And unfortunately, because I am in a rural area, there are no Apple Stores nearby.

NickZac

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2010
Call them and they will overnight you a new one. I've killed many of the chargers and I agree the newer MagSafe charger kinda sucks, but I have never had a charger that has not lasted for more than a year from any maker, as they tend to take a beating. Apple's charger in particular is a poor design that was intended to replace a rather poor design, and so it has failed miserably. I wish there were more 3rd party companies that make them.

iMackPro

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2011
its just a simple manufacturing error, when you make 1 million of something a few will randomly be defective, you shouldn't even have to call anyone just go anywhere where they sell magsafe and get it replaced.. since you said it was in a rural area you then might have to give someone a call of course. or buy one on eBay for cheap, my oem charger that came with my mac never leaves my workstation, but i have another knockoff that travels with me everywhere i go. this way if it breaks im not too worried, and im not out a lot of money, the knck off Magasfes are pretty cheap as well, and have no battery problems, and if they do apple will replace it anyways! despise all of this i personally, i like the new chargers i think they look a lot better than the white ones, though i had one for 4 years and it still works like its brand new. ( i hear these new chargers are less durable than the old) although i have no way of proving it, im just working on the cautious side.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.