Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

China Diapers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
Hi,

I am trying to run a java solution remotely on a server, I am using the below command in the terminal:

java RemoteShellClient 87.120.209.147 50001 "cmd" "java -jar -Dusername=xxx -Dpassword=xxx -DcCodes=all C:\BetInTime.jar ServiceSF"

Confidential info hidden with x's.

But am getting the below error:

Invalid input data

Could this be a syntax error?

Thanks

OK, on further inspection, the shellscript seems to rely on some batch files:

CommandRunner.class
RemoteShell.jar
SockData.class
CommandRunner.java
RemoteShellClient.class
SockData.java
JavaBuild.bat
RemoteShellClient.java
java
JavaClient.bat
RemoteShellServer.class
JavaServer.bat
RemoteShellServer.java

Contents of which are:

set ClassPath=RemoteShell.jar
java RemoteShellServer %1 %2

set ClassPath=RemoteShell.jar
java RemoteShellClient %1 %2 %3 %4

javac -g:none *.java
jar cvf RemoteShell.jar *.class

Do you think it would help to rewrite these as bash files?

Last edited by a moderator:

jiminaus

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Sydney
The direct port of these batch files to bash scripts would be, respectively:

Code:
export CLASSPATH=RemoteShell.jar
java RemoteShellServer $1 $2

Code:
export CLASSPATH=RemoteShell.jar
java RemoteShellClient $1 $2 $3 $4

Code:
javac -g:none *.java
jar cvf RemoteShell.jar *.class

But you seem to be by-passing them by using java RemoteShellClient directly from the command line. So I don't think they're the cause of your error.

According to JavaClient.bat (now the JavaClient bash script), RemoteShellClient expects 4 arguments. From the look of the command your trying to use, these arguments are: 1) the IP address of the remote computer, 2) the port of the remote computer, 3) the command to run on the remote computer, 4) the arguments to be passed to the remote command. The remote command and argument suggests that the remote computer is running Windows. Is that the case?

Do you know where the error is coming from? I've not seen bash output this error, so I doubt it's coming from there. Is there other output to suggest it's coming from RemoteShellClient, or from the remote computer?

Last edited:

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Code:
java RemoteShellClient 87.120.209.147 50001 "cmd" "java -jar -Dusername=xxx -Dpassword=xxx -DcCodes=all C:\BetInTime.jar ServiceSF"

This command won't work.

The pathname to the jar file must immediately follow the -jar option, like this:
Code:
java -jar C:\BetInTime.jar  -Dusername=xxx -Dpassword=xxx -DcCodes=all ServiceSF"
or this:
Code:
java -Dusername=xxx -Dpassword=xxx -DcCodes=all -jar C:\BetInTime.jar ServiceSF"

Based on the batch files, I'm not convinced that -jar is the option to use. -cp may be better suited, if you're expecting to run the ServiceSF class. Example:
Code:
java -cp C:\BetInTime.jar  -Dusername=xxx -Dpassword=xxx -DcCodes=all ServiceSF"

Last edited:

wlh99

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2008
Code:

I would break troubleshooting this into two parts:

1. Test that you can remotely execute a command by doing something trivial. Perhaps like this:

Code:
java RemoteShellClient 87.120.209.147 50001 "cmd" "echo testfile > testfile.txt"

Assuming that the RemoteShell server is running, has correct permissions to write somewhere, and you know where that somewhere is you should see a testfile.txt created there. If this doesn't work, then you need to check the server config.

2. Locally run the BetInTime.jar file on the server to verifiy it works properly and that the command arguments are correct. From the C:\ prompt on the server:
Code:
 java -jar -Dusername=xxx -Dpassword=xxx -DcCodes=all C:\BetInTime.jar ServiceSF

If that doesn't work, you need to figure out why, and adjust the command so it does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.