Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 11, 2004
fig tree
hmm...ordered this ram for the computer in my sig. followed the instructions from the apple pdf for replacing memory on teh emac ati graphics and the emac usb 2.0 to the letter, except i couldnt get a phillips screwdriver to work so i used a flat one. anyway, system profiler only recognizes 256mb out of the 768 installed. it's noticeably faster, especially booting and when running several apps, but it doesnt show up in system profiler. well, why not is guess is my question. i shut it down before installing it and it didnt show when i booted, so i restarted and it didnt show again. im gonna try restarting again to see if it works but id like to know if i did anyting wrong.

cfd

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2004
Reset the PRAM and if that doesn't work, switch the slots the RAM is in and see if that makes any difference.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
homerjward said:
im gonna try restarting again to see if it works but id like to know if i did anyting wrong.
This probably will be obvious to you but make real sure that you have it seated correctly (straight and all the way snapped in). Computers are very picky about exact seating, if it's even a little bit off it might not work. It looks like you have the right RAM for that machine from what I can tell. Whether they actually shipped you what you ordered is another matter though...

homerjward

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 11, 2004
fig tree
CanadaRAM said:
Go to versiontracker.com, find and download Rember.

Let it run on your RAM and see if it comes up errors.

Then see if you can return the newegg RAM for something that is guaranteed in a Macintsh.
well, i did that and the log, attached, says there arent any errors.

Attachments

• log.txt
    37.8 KB · Views: 174

homerjward

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 11, 2004
fig tree
cfd said:
Reset the PRAM and if that doesn't work, switch the slots the RAM is in and see if that makes any difference.
reset it, but it didnt do anything. im gonna check in the morning and make sure it's straighta and snapped in all the way. it's weird because it feels faster, it just doesn't say its there...of course "feels faster" could just be in my head lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.