Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 18, 2011, 03:29 AM   #1
swansonjamie
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NZ
Dropped iPad 2! Warranty Options?

Hey Everyone

Just wondering if anyone has any specified knowledge on Apple's warranty scheme. Here's my situation:

I bought an iPad 2 a few weeks ago and yesterday I dropped it after getting a massive shock from a neighbors dog, which ran at me last night from behind the car. Such a clumsy error. The smart cover mostly saved the screen, but the edges around the iPad are quite munted. It's usable, but yeah. . .





Before this happened, I had been waiting till more stock became available to make a warrantee claim against the backlight bleed on the screen (a widely known issue). I know it's a long shot, but does anyone think I could still do this - considering it's such a widely known issue?

I've read countless stories of Apple taking pity on iPad 'drop-ees" and granting them a new one...but down here in New Zealand we have no Apple store. Just Apple Authorised Repairers. So that brings me back to the question - how flexible/merciful are Apple when it comes to warrantees.

I realise I'm probably screwed and have to live with a sub-standard iPad. But I live to be hopeful

Thanks for any advice/insight any of you can give me.
Next Apple product I buy, I will definitely be getting specified insurance on it!

Ciao.
swansonjamie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2011, 05:18 AM   #2
btbrossard
macrumors 6502a
 
btbrossard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chicagoland
Like you heard, the Apple stores themselves can be pretty forgiving if you go in with the right attitude.

I've never heard of a reseller being so forgiving.

The neighbor's dog chased you and that's what caused you to drop it? Did you tell the neighbor their dog caused your accident?


At least it works. In the short term, cover the crack in the glass with clear packing tape so you don't slice your hand open.
btbrossard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2011, 05:29 AM   #3
swansonjamie
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NZ
Hey, thanks for your reply :-)
The dog didn't chase me as such, it just came out of no where when i was walking to my door and ran toward me barking. Which at the time, made me jump. I mentioned it to them today, but nothing really came of it. They just sort of shrugged it off, so I'll bring it up with them again!

See what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btbrossard View Post
Like you heard, the Apple stores themselves can be pretty forgiving if you go in with the right attitude.

I've never heard of a reseller being so forgiving.

The neighbor's dog chased you and that's what caused you to drop it? Did you tell the neighbor their dog caused your accident?


At least it works. In the short term, cover the crack in the glass with clear packing tape so you don't slice your hand open.
swansonjamie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2011, 05:43 AM   #4
ZilogZ80
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by swansonjamie View Post
Hey, thanks for your reply :-)
The dog didn't chase me as such, it just came out of no where when i was walking to my door and ran toward me barking. Which at the time, made me jump. I mentioned it to them today, but nothing really came of it. They just sort of shrugged it off, so I'll bring it up with them again!

See what happens.
I really can't see your neighbours paying for your new iPad. Maybe if they saw it happen, but you can't really expect them to hand over $600 or whatever just on your word alone?

I assume you didn't have it in a case or bag at all? I think that is practically mandatory if you are going to be taking it outside.
ZilogZ80 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2011, 06:04 AM   #5
oakie
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: seattle
Send a message via MSN to oakie Send a message via Skype™ to oakie
the only person or entity i see responsible is you.
oakie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2011, 06:04 AM   #6
swansonjamie
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NZ
Yeah no, I don't expect them to pay for a replacement!
Just to acknowledge their dog should be kept within their property.

It's just an unfortunate thing that sadly happens.
Yeah it wasn't in the case at the time, just had the smart cover on. From now on it won't be leaving it! Lesson learnt the hard way

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZilogZ80 View Post
I really can't see your neighbours paying for your new iPad. Maybe if they saw it happen, but you can't really expect them to hand over $600 or whatever just on your word alone?

I assume you didn't have it in a case or bag at all? I think that is practically mandatory if you are going to be taking it outside.
swansonjamie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2011, 06:05 AM   #7
swansonjamie
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NZ
Don't disagree with you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakie View Post
the only person or entity i see responsible is you.
swansonjamie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2011, 06:12 AM   #8
ZilogZ80
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by swansonjamie View Post
It's just an unfortunate thing that sadly happens.
Yeah it wasn't in the case at the time, just had the smart cover on. From now on it won't be leaving it! Lesson learnt the hard way
On the bright side, at least it still works and if you get a case that covers the bezel you won't be constantly reminded of the damage!
ZilogZ80 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2011, 06:45 AM   #9
Fubar1977
macrumors 6502a
 
Fubar1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Yorkshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by swansonjamie View Post
Yeah no, I don't expect them to pay for a replacement!
Just to acknowledge their dog should be kept within their property.

It's just an unfortunate thing that sadly happens.
Yeah it wasn't in the case at the time, just had the smart cover on. From now on it won't be leaving it! Lesson learnt the hard way
You need a genius who`s having a good day.
Sadly Apple would now be quite within their rights to refuse an exchange but I`ve heard of several people in this situation who`ve simply been given new iPads.
My understanding is that Apple like to collect samples of iPads etc. that have been damaged in "real world" situations as it helps them with further product development.

Good luck OP, I feel your pain.
__________________
“The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win you're still a rat.”
Fubar1977 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2011, 06:53 AM   #10
Phil A.
macrumors 68040
 
Phil A.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Telford, UK
Does your home insurance cover you for accidental damage? It may be worth pursuing that as an option if it does
__________________
Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch it to be sure. ~Murphy's Law
Phil A. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2011, 08:37 AM   #11
Ultrafire88
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Am sorry to hear of your iPad's misfortune. I have some advice that may help you in the future, further down this post.

But first, from personal experience, I think it highly unlikely that Apple will honor the wrty. I had a tiny dent at the top near the headphone hole which happened about 9 months ago but which never affected the operation of the iPad. Then last week, I could not get iTunes to recognise the iPad at all. I put it down to some usb connector error but incredibly, Apple initially rejected my claim on the basis that the usb fault could have been linked to the damage suffered earlier! It took a lot of calls but I finally got them to agree to replace my set (which created another prob for me as per my post #1).

So here's the advice:-

Take a photo of your damaged iPad next to a newspaper making sure the date is clearly visible to lock in the date of the accident. That way, if say, 5 months down the road, your iPad fails because of a totally unrelated hardware fault, you can prove that it was not because you had just dropped the iPad. May also help if you record evidence (video?) that it currently still works normally.

Of course you can still try for a replacement and I hope Apple will make an exception and replace your set. Failing which, the other responders have some good advice about taping the crack and using a case that hides it.
Ultrafire88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:04 AM   #12
Fubar1977
macrumors 6502a
 
Fubar1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Yorkshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. View Post
Does your home insurance cover you for accidental damage? It may be worth pursuing that as an option if it does
Good point Phil.
I know my home insurance covers my gadgets against loss/damage and theft in or away from the home.
Depends on your cover and how much your insurance policy would be affected by the claim, it`s worth checking.
__________________
“The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win you're still a rat.”
Fubar1977 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:09 AM   #13
Legion93
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Death Star, Rishi Maze
Send a message via MSN to Legion93 Send a message via Skype™ to Legion93
Firstly so sorry to hear your issue. Apple's warranty and Apple Care scheme covers hardware defects, not user faults. However, go to an Apple retail store and explain your issue, getting a "genius" on your side can be very worthy.

Be wary, Apple will not replace your iPad with a new one, however you may be given a discount repair or promotion if you approach them with the right attitude.
__________________
MacBook Pro 13" 2011 iPod nano 7th Gen iPhone 5 iPad 3
Legion93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2011, 08:01 PM   #14
swansonjamie
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NZ
Yeah I'm kind of over it now, there's not much I can do.
I'll pursue some of the options that have been listed here - but if nothing comes of it, I've still got an iPad that works (and yes, i can cover the damage with a nice case). This mistake could have been a lot worse! :/



Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrafire88 View Post
Am sorry to hear of your iPad's misfortune. I have some advice that may help you in the future, further down this post.

But first, from personal experience, I think it highly unlikely that Apple will honor the wrty. I had a tiny dent at the top near the headphone hole which happened about 9 months ago but which never affected the operation of the iPad. Then last week, I could not get iTunes to recognise the iPad at all. I put it down to some usb connector error but incredibly, Apple initially rejected my claim on the basis that the usb fault could have been linked to the damage suffered earlier! It took a lot of calls but I finally got them to agree to replace my set (which created another prob for me as per my post #1).

So here's the advice:-

Take a photo of your damaged iPad next to a newspaper making sure the date is clearly visible to lock in the date of the accident. That way, if say, 5 months down the road, your iPad fails because of a totally unrelated hardware fault, you can prove that it was not because you had just dropped the iPad. May also help if you record evidence (video?) that it currently still works normally.

Of course you can still try for a replacement and I hope Apple will make an exception and replace your set. Failing which, the other responders have some good advice about taping the crack and using a case that hides it.
swansonjamie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:29 PM   #15
hondaivtec2007
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pa
Go buy Square trade insurance for less then $100.00 wait 2-4 weeks and submit it to be covered under warranty. Thats your best bet
hondaivtec2007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:30 PM   #16
hondaivtec2007
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pa
Go buy Square trade insurance for less then $100.00 wait 2-4 weeks and submit it to be covered under warranty. Thats your best bet
hondaivtec2007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 02:11 PM   #17
whudat
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
My story.

I just returned from Vegas this weekend. I had decided to take my iPad 2 with me against the recommendation of the wife. A day into the trip, I dropped my iPad 2 not more than 6-8" onto a tile floor. I hid this from the ball and chain so that I could avoid the dreaded hands on the hip "I TOLD YOU SO" berating. Actually, she aint that bad. LOL. What had happened was, the lower left corner of iPad dented just enough to put a small crack from the dented corner to the Home button. It wasn't a huge crack but large enough that had me bumming pretty badly.

I decided to make an appointment with the Genius bar and see what, if anything, they would do for me. I was truthful and undemanding while I told them my sob story. The Genius bar attendant mentioned that they were out of units but would run in the back to see how much a repair would run me. When the genius bar personnel returned, he came back with a unopened iPad 2 box. He mentioned that this isn't something that they normally do, that the warranty doesn't cover such damage, and that they sometimes have a policy of allowing for a replacement. The one time, non warranty, replacement is purely discretionary. I was stoked.

Brought the unit home. Little to no back light bleed. Unit is in better shape that my original. I'm going to come clean with the wifey tonight.

TLDR. Long story, short. Be cool and honest and you may have a shot at finding the right attendant that might take pity on you and provide an on the house replacement.
whudat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:10 PM   #18
swansonjamie
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NZ
The Apple store sounds awesome!
As I said in the post though, New Zealand is missing out. Apple did some licensing deal ages ago with a reseller here, because the market is so small I don't think Apple is allowed to set up direct retail until the contract expires.

Basically means we're stuck with a company that isn't as nice - cause they probably buy the units off Apple for a high price anyway. Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whudat View Post
TLDR. Long story, short. Be cool and honest and you may have a shot at finding the right attendant that might take pity on you and provide an on the house replacement.
swansonjamie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 10:41 AM   #19
GadgetAddicted
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
...and THIS is why I didn't buy the smart cover PROTECTIVE case
GadgetAddicted is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 12:28 PM   #20
doodads
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: East BF, TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by swansonjamie View Post
Hey, thanks for your reply :-)
The dog didn't chase me as such, it just came out of no where when i was walking to my door and ran toward me barking. Which at the time, made me jump. I mentioned it to them today, but nothing really came of it. They just sort of shrugged it off, so I'll bring it up with them again!

See what happens.
Is there a leash law where you live? If you don't have any luck at the Apple Store, try Judge Judy against the dog owner.
doodads is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 01:10 PM   #21
withasigh
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Try this Screen Protector

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/rev...ag-for-ipad-2/

That screen protector, while clear over the screen part, has a black border that would cover up the broken glass on your iPad.
withasigh is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad > iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dropped my iPhone 5c. Does that void warranty? icaroc iPhone 25 Feb 28, 2014 09:20 PM
Dropped iPhone, tiny crack - Still possible to replace under warranty? naz-dream-boys iPhone 12 Nov 17, 2013 10:56 PM
Dropped my phone, is my warranty void? chrf097 iPhone 4 Jun 22, 2013 06:30 PM
Void warranty after iPhone dropped? asidance iPhone 3 Apr 22, 2013 04:14 AM
Does the Amex warranty cover dropped phones? MaxPower49 iPhone 11 Sep 14, 2012 04:20 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC