Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

svandevecht

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
hi,

I have a 2010-12 MBA, 13' 1.86/2gb/256ssd and face issues with my battery performance.. it runs empty in around 2.5 hours when easy emailing & browsing + skype. or watching a movie also drains it imm.

when I just got it, it should excellent figures, good really run it (on wifi) for 9-10 hours.. but few month later is is really getting worse.

coconut battery shows a 93% health, so that cannot be it?

I returned to the store and did not wanted to help me they tested some things and said it was fine.

now I see that SKYPE is a heavy processor user, even when not in use..

does any one else have this same issue? I bought it so I can work full day without charging it, but now it's empty before lunch!

PS: have latest updates & even have screen brightness on 50%

vukmaxim

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2010
drive@earth
hi,

I have a 2010-12 MBA, 13' 1.86/2gb/256ssd and face issues with my battery performance.. it runs empty in around 2.5 hours when easy emailing & browsing + skype. or watching a movie also drains it imm.

when I just got it, it should excellent figures, good really run it (on wifi) for 9-10 hours.. but few month later is is really getting worse.

coconut battery shows a 93% health, so that cannot be it?

I returned to the store and did not wanted to help me they tested some things and said it was fine.

now I see that SKYPE is a heavy processor user, even when not in use..

does any one else have this same issue? I bought it so I can work full day without charging it, but now it's empty before lunch!

PS: have latest updates & even have screen brightness on 50%

Do you use Skype 5, or 2.8.0
I am using 2.8.0 and no heavy processor usage when idling, from 0.0 to 0.4%

maxylle

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2011
that is same thing with out MBA 11 inches :( Sad but I'm not really bothered since I got my desktop mac and ipad. Honestly though I was spoiled with Ipad's battery life... :) wink*

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
I have Skype open in the background (no video chat), Google chrome with 5 tabs, Twitter open, and Activity Monitor, and my temps are at 35°C and Activity Monitor shows Skype as using 0.0-0.3% of my CPU. Also, my estimated battery life is jumping between 9-10 hours, so no problems here. And aso, I'm running the latest Skype.

When video chatting, though, Skype uses about 10-20% CPU, but I haven't really looked at it that much.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
...does any one else have this same issue? I bought it so I can work full day without charging it, but now it's empty before lunch!

Open Activity Monitor and set to processes for all users. You must have something using CPU causing a battery drain. See which process is using the CPU and that will be your problem.

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I have Skype open in the background (no video chat), Google chrome with 5 tabs, Twitter open, and Activity Monitor, and my temps are at 35°C and Activity Monitor shows Skype as using 0.0-0.3% of my CPU. Also, my estimated battery life is jumping between 9-10 hours, so no problems here. And aso, I'm running the latest Skype.

When video chatting, though, Skype uses about 10-20% CPU, but I haven't really looked at it that much.

Dang SR71, That is a lot of diagnosis for owning your first Mac, 3 days now:p

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
Hey now, I may have only had a Mac for a few days (4 now, so ha!), but that doesn't mean I can't make diagnoses. ;)

I just thought you should have more then 2 battery cycles on your machine if you are commenting on battery life, lol :p

I am glad to see you are enjoying the Mac experience:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.