Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikepitch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
Just bought the new apple tv and have it linked through to my pc via wi-fi and working fine. I have all the family movies and music in itunes with art etc and all movies are all categorised eg children's thrillers etc. The problem I have been having is accessing these from my apple tv. All my movies show up in their various genres and are accessible as such with the exception of the 'childrens movies'! For some reason, when I open this folder in apple tv it shows all the movies and music files not just childrens movies. This happen regardless of the name i give to the childrens genre folder. I cant find a way to have it only show Childres movies in this category.

Any help would be most appreciated as Apple have no idea!

Cheers mike

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
Maybe the keyword "movies" is the problem? What happens if you just call the genre "children's"?

mikepitch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
Hi Sedulous thank you for your reply.

Its currently names children's but have tried kid's, kids films etc etc but with no success, not really sure what, if anything, i'm doing wrong.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
What do you mean by "categorised"

What i have done is create playlist folders and smart playlist. I drop the smart playlist inside the playlist folder and this helps me keep things organized.

You have to turn on playlist ( and make sure it is selected for movie and TV shows) on the ATV.

So what i have is a Playlist folder named Everybody Loves Raymond, and iside of that i have a smart playlist for each season.

I have also creatded a folder called Films by Actor and inside of that a smart playlist for each Actor i want to categorize in that manner.

You get the idea i have about 25 of these folders and they help me keep things in order.

Penquin79

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2011
Strange problem

Question for you. The movies that you imported into iTunes, how were they tagged? That is how was the Title, genre, art work, year, etc. assigned? If they were tagged with MetaX or similar then because that information is written directly into the movie file it is permenant. Trying to change the Genre using iTunes will not change the permenant info in the movie file. You have to use the tagging program again. I learned this the hard way when I tried to change the artwork on a movie file using iTunes "get info". Itunes tried to accept it but as there was now one artwork in the movie file itself and another art work in the iTunes library file the movie crashed and would not play.

So if again they were tagged with MetaX as a general movie, and then you changed the genre of the files in iTunes, it is probably going back to that original genre in the movie file. Try doing this, delete one of the Childrens movies from the library but tell it to keep the file when asked. Then go back and re-import the movie to the library and see what genre iTunes has assigned it. Itf it assigned something chances are that is what is written into the movie file and your stuck with it until you re-tag the movie.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.