Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crispy3M

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
Hi folks,

My question is this... Is it possible to stream music FROM my ATV 2 to my Airport Express?

My set up:

ATV 2
MacBook Pro
Airport Express
iPhone 4

I've been reading on here and elsewhere for hours but can't find the answer to my question. I've found a ton of people asking the same question and have found the answers to be going about 50/50. Some say yes, some say no, but no one who says yes ever takes the time to explain how to do it.

I have a ATV 2 running Software Version 4.1.1 which is apparently some other iOS? I'm not sure it could be any more complicated.:) I've seen screen shots of an Airplay menu, from an ATV that shows other speakers but mine does not have that. Perhaps that was only available on the ATV1?

I can stream from my MacBook Pro to my ATV 2 and my Airport Express and I can stream from my iPhone 4 to my ATV 2 and my Airport Express, but I can't figure out how to stream from my ATV 2 to my Airport Express.

All replies from those who actually take the time to read this post and truly understand what I'm asking are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

C3M

DefBref

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
The ATV2 is a streaming to device and as such never actually has anything on it that you can stream from it.

What would you want to stream from your ATV2? Its the same as wanting to stream from your Airport express!

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Hi folks,

My question is this... Is it possible to stream music FROM my ATV 2 to my Airport Express?

My set up:

ATV 2
MacBook Pro
Airport Express
iPhone 4

I've been reading on here and elsewhere for hours but can't find the answer to my question. I've found a ton of people asking the same question and have found the answers to be going about 50/50. Some say yes, some say no, but no one who says yes ever takes the time to explain how to do it.

I have a ATV 2 running Software Version 4.1.1 which is apparently some other iOS? I'm not sure it could be any more complicated.:) I've seen screen shots of an Airplay menu, from an ATV that shows other speakers but mine does not have that. Perhaps that was only available on the ATV1?

I can stream from my MacBook Pro to my ATV 2 and my Airport Express and I can stream from my iPhone 4 to my ATV 2 and my Airport Express, but I can't figure out how to stream from my ATV 2 to my Airport Express.

All replies from those who actually take the time to read this post and truly understand what I'm asking are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

C3M

In it's purest form, the ATV 2 is an Airport Express that can also handle photos & video from a PC/Mac.

As DefBref has said, it doesn't store anything so you can't stream from it.

If you have an AE and an ATV 2, then in the Airplay icon in iTunes (or on an iPod/iPhone/iPad), should simply give you the option of where you want to send your stream (speakers connected to AE or speakers connected to ATV2).

HTH.

Crispy3M

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
Replies

Thank you both for replying. I'm new to the Apple TV and am just learning all that it can do. This seems like a great forum with a fair bit of information.

@DefBref - What is not really important. The ATV2 is synched to my iTunes library on the MBP. I would like to use the ATV2 to send the music it's playing to other rooms (zones) instead of having to go to the MBP and run/route iTunes music from there.

@Azzin - The ATV2 wouldn't need to store anything, just the ability to route the synched iTunes library to other speakers.

I would appreciate both of your opinions on this...

I think the original ATV was able to do exactly what I want to do. I found this article on the Apple Support Web Page here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3291

Summary

With Apple TV Software 2.3 you can now stream music from your Apple TV to other AirTunes speakers. These can be speakers connected to an AirPort Express base station, or another Apple TV your network. You can even stream music to multiple AirTunes speakers simultaneously.

Perhaps they have changed this functionality is subsequent Software Versions?

Crispy3M

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
Update

Contacted Apple directly.

And the answer is:

Yes, you can stream from your apple tv to other speakers via Airport Express, etc, etc, BUT... only on the ATV1. The ATV2 does not have this functionality.

Just as both respondents have mentioned, it may have something to do with the fact that the new ATV2 does not have a HD per say?

Anyway, the answer is... It can not be done on an ATV2 at this time. (Software Ver. 4.1.1)

Cheers,

C3M

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
The ATV2 is a streaming to device and as such never actually has anything on it that you can stream from it.

What would you want to stream from your ATV2? Its the same as wanting to stream from your Airport express!

not it's not!
the airport express doesn't have an interface where you can select music to play.

if you have a couple airport expresses around the house, it would be nice to be able to choose and control music from the ATV, and have it play in all the locations.
instead of having to go to your computer to play music.

on the other iOS devices you can play a file using home sharing (which is pretty much how ), and send it to remote speakers.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
As the OP has an iPhone 4, surely the answer is to get the Apple "Remote" app so that he can just use the phone to look at his iTunes library and send the music to the speakers connected to the AE or the ATV 2?

Crispy3M

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
if you have a couple airport expresses around the house, it would be nice to be able to choose and control music from the ATV, and have it play in all the locations.

It certainly would be! :)

Unfortunately, not at this time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.