Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Apr 18, 2011, 08:12 PM   #1
appleguy123
macrumors 603

Dropped MacBook Pro. Now It Won't Charge.

I can't believe I just did this! I baby all of my Apple products, and this is totally out of character.
I had my laptop in an incase sleeve when it dropped onto the right corner from about 1.5 feet. it was all good except for a small dent, until about three days later. Now it won't charge.
I unscrewed the computer and removed the top. It looks like the corner that is dented is pressing against the battery(I've enclosed pictures).
Do I have any chance of just taking the battery out and manoeuvring the aluminum to the right spots?
How much will it cost to repair if I can't fix it? Any chance at all that it might be covered(I have AppleCare, but I know its a longshot)?
Pictures of the damage:
Thumb resize.
Thumb resize.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 08:13 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Apple's warranty and AppleCare do not cover damage from accidents; only manufacturing defects.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2011, 08:14 PM   #3
Apple OC
macrumors 68040

ouch ... I doubt it would be covered ... it might not be too expensive though

good luck
Old Apr 18, 2011, 08:17 PM   #4
appleguy123
macrumors 603

But do you guys think it's worth the effort to remove the battery and try to push the aluminum into the right place? The warranty sticker was already disconnected because apple had to tamper with the battery for my last repair.
If you think it might be possible(even with a lot of effort) I'll buy a tri-wing screwdriver and try it.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 08:20 PM   #5
Apple OC
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleguy123 View Post
But do you guys think it's worth the effort to remove the battery and try to push the aluminum into the right place? The warranty sticker was already disconnected because apple had to tamper with the battery for my last repair.
If you think it might be possible(even with a lot of effort) I'll buy a tri-wing screwdriver and try it.
why not? ... you got nothing to lose ... just be careful
Old Apr 18, 2011, 08:25 PM   #6
Reflow
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Reflow
Ouch that a good size dent. Have you tried the basics on resetting the SMC and PRAM. Its worth a shot. As for the damage looks like you need to replace the top cover. I did this on my current MBP and let me tell you that if you plan on doing this you have to almost completely remove the whole insides of the computer to replace the top. I ordered my top assembly from Here I hope this helps. Also if you plan on taking it apart iFixit has great repair guides..
Old Apr 18, 2011, 08:28 PM   #7
appleguy123
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflow View Post
Ouch that a good size dent. Have you tried the basics on resetting the SMC and PRAM. Its worth a shot. As for the damage looks like you need to replace the top cover. I did this on my current MBP and let me tell you that if you plan on doing this you have to almost completely remove the whole insides of the computer to replace the top. I ordered my top assembly from Here I hope this helps. Also if you plan on taking it apart iFixit has great repair guides..
Your link doesn't work(at least on iPad). I did try to smc reset, but the computer died while it was booting up. I'm pretty screwed now.
If I pull the battery's power supply from the logic board and use the MagSafe, will it run? Is there any danger in doing it?
Edit: I got the link to work the second time.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 08:40 PM   #8
Reflow
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Your link doesn't work(at least on iPad). I did try to smc reset, but the computer died while it was booting up. I'm pretty screwed now.
If I pull the battery's power supply from the logic board and use the MagSafe, will it run? Is there any danger in doing it?
Edit: I got the link to work the second time.
I don't know why it didn't work but the site is called usedmac.com. As for the battery issue yes you can remove it and use the charger to power it up. What model MBP do you have? As I do have an extra top casing that I replaced on my 13" MBP.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 08:50 PM   #9
appleguy123
macrumors 603

Quote:
I don't know why it didn't work but the site is called usedmac.com. As for the battery issue yes you can remove it and use the charger to power it up. What model MBP do you have? As I do have an extra top casing that I replaced on my 13" MBP.
I'm on a 17". I tried running without the battery and it didn't work.
When I say not charging, I mean that the MagSafe doesn't light up, and the computer won't charge. I had this exact same issue before on this same computer.
Does it mean that the battery isn't at fault?
Old Apr 18, 2011, 08:56 PM   #10
Reflow
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I'm on a 17". I tried running without the battery and it didn't work.
When I say not charging, I mean that the MagSafe doesn't light up, and the computer won't charge. I had this exact same issue before on this same computer.
Does it mean that the battery isn't at fault?
Put the battery back in and plug charger back in to the machine. Reset the smc and wait 5 seconds then try powering on the unit.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 08:59 PM   #11
appleguy123
macrumors 603

Quote:
Put the battery back in and plug charger back in to the machine. Reset the smc and wait 5 seconds then try powering on the unit.
Can I reset the smc is the machine is completely dead?
Old Apr 18, 2011, 09:03 PM   #12
Reflow
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Can I reset the smc is the machine is completely dead?
Yes it just needs to have the MagSafe plugged into the machine when you do the reset. Just you wait 5 to 10 seconds before you push the power button
Old Apr 18, 2011, 09:07 PM   #13
appleguy123
macrumors 603

Quote:
Yes it just needs to have the MagSafe plugged into the machine when you do the reset. Just you wait 5 to 10 seconds before you push the power button
The problem is that the computer isn't recognizing the MagSafe, or the MagSafe is broken and the battery isn't. I have no other macs or power packs to test.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 09:13 PM   #14
Reflow
macrumors 68000

Quote:
The problem is that the computer isn't recognizing the MagSafe, or the MagSafe is broken and the battery isn't. I have no other macs or power packs to test.
I had a similar problem with my MBP as it would not charge and no light in the MagSafe. I did these steps and it worked.

1. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
2. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
3. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time. Wait 5 to 10 seconds
Press the power button to turn on the computer. *
Old Apr 18, 2011, 09:20 PM   #15
appleguy123
macrumors 603

Quote:
I had a similar problem with my MBP as it would not charge and no light in the MagSafe. I did these steps and it worked.

1. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
2. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
3. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time. Wait 5 to 10 seconds
Press the power button to turn on the computer. *
Didn't work. I got the residual battery to reboot the computer, and the time was back in 2000, so the smc did reset, but the problem persists.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 09:29 PM   #16
Reflow
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Didn't work. I got the residual battery to reboot the computer, and the time was back in 2000, so the smc did reset, but the problem persists.
Oh you might want to check your magsafe to see if all the pins are showing on the end itself. Iv'e noticed sometimes the pins stick in the charger. You might want to give apple a call to see if they can help at all, it's worth a try. Other then that I'm out of ideas...
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:14 PM   #17
marshallbedsaul
macrumors 6502a

I say give it a go try to fix the dent maybe you can push it out.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:51 PM   #18
DePaulBlueDemon
macrumors regular

At this point you have nothing to lose. Apple will no longer honor the warranty since all future problems that may arise could have been caused by this huge dent. As such, you can mess with it all you want.
DePaulBlueDemon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 06:08 AM   #19
PwcrLinux
macrumors newbie

Hello there!,

Damage coverage only available at Best Buy store.. It's good protection from accidental damage and handling.. That's why the apple doesn't offers from accidental damage..
Old Apr 19, 2011, 10:28 PM   #20
appleguy123
macrumors 603

I'm working on getting the dent out. It's a slow process, but I'm definitely making progress.
Here's some update photos after about 45 minutes of tedious hammering(screwdriver through washcloth to protect from puncturing).
Thumb resize.
Thumb resize.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 09:07 PM   #21
appleguy123
macrumors 603

I took it to Apple, and they didn't even notice the dent. They just gave me a new MagSafe which has made my computer work again. The problem is that the computer superheats magsafes causing them not to work.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 09:09 PM   #22
Reflow
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I took it to Apple, and they didn't even notice the dent. They just gave me a new MagSafe which has made my computer work again. The problem is that the computer superheats magsafes causing them not to work.
Great to see you got it working again!!!!!!!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro