Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:32 PM   #1
Klokio
macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro 15in shutting off when run on battery

Hi everyone,

I have the last model of the MBP that had the removable battery (so I think 2008), recently whenever I run it on the battery it shuts off at pretty high percentages charged, for instance it just shut off and was at 60% charge. This doesn't happen when it is plugged in with the battery in or out (I frequently take the battery out in an attempt to save it when I'm at my desk anyway).

I'm going to guess this is just a battery problem and mine is going bad, even though istat says 85% health. Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks for your time!
Klokio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:58 PM   #2
Intell
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios
This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 10:24 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2011, 07:09 PM   #3
Klokio
macrumors newbie

I would calibrate my battery, however it does not go to sleep when it runs down. It simply shuts off as if someone had pulled the battery out with no warning. Should I try and calibrate the battery this way?
Klokio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 01:41 PM   #4
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klokio View Post
I would calibrate my battery, however it does not go to sleep when it runs down. It simply shuts off as if someone had pulled the battery out with no warning. Should I try and calibrate the battery this way?
Reset the SMC, then try calibrating. Instructions for both in the link posted by Intell.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 01:47 PM   #5
snaky69
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klokio View Post
Hi everyone,

I have the last model of the MBP that had the removable battery (so I think 2008), recently whenever I run it on the battery it shuts off at pretty high percentages charged, for instance it just shut off and was at 60% charge. This doesn't happen when it is plugged in with the battery in or out (I frequently take the battery out in an attempt to save it when I'm at my desk anyway).

I'm going to guess this is just a battery problem and mine is going bad, even though istat says 85% health. Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks for your time!
Don't take out your battery, for one it doesn't save it at all, so you're not doing it any good, and for seconds, you're making the computer cut back on its processing power.

Put it in, and leave it in.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2332
iPhone 4S, 32GB, Black
snaky69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro