Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

165102-iphone_galaxy_comparison.jpg

Images from lawsuit

Yesterday, Apple filed suit against Samsung over their "Galaxy" line of Android-based smartphones and tablets. In a statement, Apple claimed that Samsung copied Apple's technology and user interfaces:"Rather than innovate and develop its own technology and a unique Samsung style for its smartphone products and computer tablets, Samsung chose to copy Apple's technology, user interface and innovative style in these infringing products," the Journal quoted Apple's complaint as saying.
As many have noted, Apple also happens to be one of Samsung's biggest customers. Apple uses Samsung displays and semiconductors extensively in their iOS devices. Even so, Samsung says they will respond "strongly":"Apple is one of our key buyers of semiconductors and display panels. However, we have no choice but respond strongly this time," an unidentified official was quoted as saying.According to the Yahoo news article, Apple was Samsung's second-largest client in 2010 after Sony Corp and was responsible for 4% of Samsung's $142 billion in revenue last year.

Article Link: Samsung to Respond 'Strongly' Against Apple Lawsuit

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London
I wonder how long it will be until every tech company is suing every other tech company.

This is getting silly!

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-gb; Nexus S Build/GRI40) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I wonder what will happen here. Form the "who's suing who" infrographics I've seen, Samsung remained pretty much untouched until now.

kdarling

macrumors P6
The phone's look is indeed very similar.

Of course, Samsung's Android phone has many additional items such as their pulldown notification shade with built-in radio and orientation lock controls... which many people would love for Apple to copy.

The tablet is a different matter, and doesn't have the same look.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-gb; Nexus S Build/GRI40) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I wonder what will happen here. Form the "who's suing who" infrographics I've seen, Samsung remained pretty much untouched until now.

that's because samsung supplies all these companies with parts for their phones. Sue Samsung, risk getting the shaft on internals! We'll see what happens.

Ca$hflow

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2010
London, ON
Lawsuits are the game of kings. Very seldom do huge lawsuits settle out of court. They usually go to the end. A lawsuit is usually played as a zero sum game.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
What else would you expect to hear? No company would just bow down and give up....

that's because samsung supplies all these companies with parts for their phones. Sue Samsung, risk getting the shaft on internals! We'll see what happens.

Samsung couldn't pull out on any existing deals, otherwise they'd be in breach of contract.

M

Mr.damien

Of course, Samsung's Android phone has many additional items such as their pulldown notification shade with built-in radio and orientation lock controls... which many people would love for Apple to copy.
No ... YOU want.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
The phone's look is indeed very similar.

The tablet is a different matter, and doesn't have the same look.

But that's the thing, this simply can't be about "look and feel" since the precedents on that are firmly established by Apple vs Microsoft where Apple lost the whole "look and feel" part of the suit.

Like you asked in the other thread, someone with access to PACER could list the infringing patents Apple is claiming so we can get some insight into what exactly Samsung is infringing upon ?

The screenshot showing the App Drawer on the Samsung phone is quite disingenuous, and makes it look like TouchWiz is a rip off of the iOS Home screen, but the home screen isn't anything like that. That's a pull up menu of apps you have installed, how else would they represent it seeing how the icon grid has been standard for years before the iPhone came along and is standard also in other Android based devices ?

Also, I doubt Apple has a patent on icon grids.

Until we have more details on this lawsuit and until Samsung responds with something more than veiled threats in the media from "unidentified officials", I don't think this is quite worth making a temptest and throwing hate around, to either player (calling Samsung's Galaxy phone, the best selling Android device, KIRF and calling Apple sue-happy and scared).

anthonylambert

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2002
UK
a liitle misleading....

I think you mean 4% of 142 million $.....

Samsung's worldwide turnover was only 138.4 billion for 2010. So I'm guessing Apple buys about $6 billion.

Anaemik

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2009
According to the Yahoo news article, Apple was Samsung's second-largest client in 2010 after Sony Corp and was responsible for $142 billion (4%) of Samsung's revenues last year.

So Yahoo would have us believe that Samsung's revenues last year were in the region of $3.5 TRILLION???? LOL

Tell me they were responsible for 4% of a $142B total ($5.7B) and I'd have a much easier time believing it.

edit: Ahh, seems like I was just beaten to it.

spcopsmac21

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Samsung is starting to be less and less innovative, they really are setting down at the drawing board , scratching their heads trying to come up with a design and then....." bing!!! their iphone mail alert just popped off and there is their next cell design!!

talkingfuture

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2008
The back of beyond.
I think this may be one of those stories where the media make it sound much bigger than it is. A load of lawyers will make a ton of money and the two companies will come to some sort of licensing agreement or Apple will get a discount on some of the parts they buy.

kenypowa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2008
somewhere
Samsung is starting to be less and less innovative, they really are setting down at the drawing board , scratching their heads trying to come up with a design and then....." bing!!! their iphone mail alert just popped off and there is their next cell design!!

Apple is starting to be less and less inovative. The iPhone UI hardly changes for the last 4 years. But hey, lets sue everybody.:rolleyes:

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I think this may be one of those stories where the media make it sound much bigger than it is. A load of lawyers will make a ton of money and the two companies will come to some sort of licensing agreement or Apple will get a discount on some of the parts they buy.

Or this will drag out for years and be eventually settled/judged when it is completely irrelevant. Actually, this is the most likely outcome, since all civil lawsuits over IP in the states last for years.

We'll never quite know what happened nor do I believe anyone will dig deep enough so we actually know Apple's claims in all of this.

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
this to me is soooo damn stupid.
Apple buys 5.3 billion in parts from Sammy then sue them for copying(allegedly) their design. Whatever man.

BrettJDeriso

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2010
Northern Virginia
Way to bite the hand that feeds you, Steve. What an idiot. Production of Samsung Galaxy S handsets was brought to a crawl last year because of display shortages -shortages caused by tring to satify (oamong other things) Jobs' insatiable appetite for touch-sensitive screens.

Jobs should be kissing Samsung's a__, not suing it.

I suppose it's too much to hope Sammy would cut them off as a customer until this blows over. Of course, that wouldn't be in their best interests.

AppleMacDudeG4

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2011
Similar look

Given the photograph, they do look very similar. I wonder what Samsung would do if Apple won the lawsuit? Would they charge Apple more for the parts that they provide to them or would they realize that it is not a good idea to make one of your largest buyers to leave you for someone else?

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Samsung couldn't pull out on any existing deals, otherwise they'd be in breach of contract.

So what? They're already getting sued by Apple, so what's another lawsuit? Point is, contract breach or not, Samsung could cripple Apple's whole ecosystem within days by halting all processor shipments. Apple makes the vast majority on iDevices and this would kill Apple's whole economic model. And this doesn't even account for Samsungs components that go into their Macs. As a result, Apple would have no hardware to sell. They would dip into their treasure chest. It could be devastating to Apple.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
So what? They're already getting sued by Apple, so what's another lawsuit? Point is, contract breach or not, Samsung could cripple Apple's whole ecosystem within days by halting all processor shipments. Apple makes the vast majority on iDevices and this would kill Apple's whole economic model. And this doesn't even account for Samsungs components that go into their Macs. As a result, Apple would have no hardware to sell. They would dip into their treasure chest. It could be devastating to Apple.

But then they'd have been hammered with 2 law-suits, and then lost their 2nd biggest customer. Thats financial suicide, Apple would find someone else for parts.

cfraley26

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2011
Here's a thought apple.... Let's stop being the big bad bully on campus, and just make your damn products! I love Apple products. but, the way this company is constantly suing other companies because of so called "infringements". Its getting really old and really stupid fast!

Do what you do best: MAKIN GREAT DEVICE"S!!! You're not good at this! You are burning bridges that you will potentially NEVER get back! And then you will lose the upper hand in the market! Be smart, stop suing every little freakin thing that comes along!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.