Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomwalters5678

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
Hey, I've just bought Portal 2 via Steam and when I try to play it launches to show the menu screen, with only two items. "NO STEAM" which does exactly nothing, and "QUIT" which unsurprisingly does just that.

I've looked around for solutions to this but I can't find any that work. Steam's support have been contacted and I tried all the potential solutions out there such as restarting Steam, changing download server and deleting certain files (all of which I've restored).

Has anyone had this issue? And if so, have you managed to fix it?

Cheers,

-Tom

robgiallo

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2011
Me too

Having the same problem. Reinstalled both Steam and Portal 2, and deleted all of the Library/Application Support for Steam. Also tried deleted just clientregistry.blob several times, but no go. So frustrating - just want to play the game!!!!

tomwalters5678

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
Yep, I deleted Steam, reinstalled, and am re-downloading Portal now, if this doesn't work I have no idea what I'm going to do. Steam could really do with a phone number.

tomwalters5678

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
Right, seems the fresh install did the trick. Have you had any luck? I deleted the folder from /Username/Library/Application Support/Steam and then from the Applications folder. Then re-installed Steam, and re-downloaded Portal 2.

Hope that helps!

Xacto01

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2011
I have the same thing!

I've tried everything mentioned here, and to no avail, nothing works. I still get "No Steam" & "Quit"

cwalkatron

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Try this in Terminal

chmod 644 ~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/com.valvesoftware.steam.ipctool.plist

chmod 644 ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.valvesoftware.steamclean.plist

logout/login

I got those errors because 'ipcserver' wasn't running as it should be.

tomwalters5678

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
Hey, I just got this message from a Steam support agent -

Hello Thomas,

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

Please exit Steam and go to the folder Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/Steam

Delete all of the files in this folder except for SteamApps.

Restart your computer.

Launch Steam and re-test the issue.

Note: This process will not affect your currently installed games.

Does that help?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.