Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple!Freak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2005
East Coast
Possible? Can I import my firefox bookmarks in to Safari? Where even do I find the folder in "Finder" holding the bookmarks for Safari? Sorry, I know a PC a lot better than a Mac and I am making the switch.

Let me know! Thanks!!!

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
You can literally do this via drag and drop.

Go into Firefox, then in the View menu select Sidebar > History.

Then open Safari. Click the little book looking icon underneath the Back button... you'll now be in the bookmark management section of Safari.

Now, for simplicity's sake, you're probably gonna want to resize the Safari and Firefox windows so you can see them side by side to easily drag and drop... but you can drag bookmarks from Firefox and drop them into Safari.

Apple!Freak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2005
East Coast
Chaszmyr said:

Then open Safari. Click the little book looking icon underneath the Back button... you'll now be in the bookmark management section of Safari.

Now, for simplicity's sake, you're probably gonna want to resize the Safari and Firefox windows so you can see them side by side to easily drag and drop... but you can drag bookmarks from Firefox and drop them into Safari.

Alright the only problem is my bookmarks came from Firefox on my PC. I took the file in which they were stored from firefox on my PC to my External HDD and now need to know where to drop the file.

Now I could probaly download firefox for mac, then put the file I have with my booksmarks from firefox PC in that and then do what you said however I am exactly 1,038 bookmarks and doing that all manually would take a couple hours. It's got to be easier. Anyone know?

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
From the finder, you can drop the files into Safari the same way I had told you to do it from Firefox.

pizzach

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2005
Canada
Much easier than I would have thought. I saw a link on Google recommending importing the file into Internet Explorer. Then, since Safari imports Internet Explorer's favorites the first time it is run, delete the preference file to Safari if it has been run already....That's a lot of work!

Either that or I was thinking there would be a special Bookmark import program someone wrote. There is a bookmark export program or two. :D

applepie6214

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2008
Vancouver
Alright the only problem is my bookmarks came from Firefox on my PC. I took the file in which they were stored from firefox on my PC to my External HDD and now need to know where to drop the file.

Now I could probaly download firefox for mac, then put the file I have with my booksmarks from firefox PC in that and then do what you said however I am exactly 1,038 bookmarks and doing that all manually would take a couple hours. It's got to be easier. Anyone know?

If I understand correctly, you're asking how to transfer the bookmarks from the Firefox browser on your PC to the Firefox browser on your Mac.
Add the Foxmarks Bookmark Synchronizer to both computers' Firefox and it does the work for you.
Link: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2410

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004

will this work in the other direction? safari bookmarks to firefox? I'm guessing it should but have you tried it?

Not Kelly Bundy

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2009
Import Bookmarks from Firefox to Safari.....Easy !!!!

I can't believe that I figured this out !!! :eek: I did get a few clues from this forum....thanks !!! :D

OK.....open Firefox, then open the "bookmark manager" by clicking on "Bookmarks", then, "Organize Bookmarks"....there you will find under the "file" menu..."Export".

Click on "Export" and a window pops up that will allow you to export your bookmark file to your Desktop [preferably] .

Open Safari, hit "File", hit "Import Bookmarks" and choose from "Desktop".

It took me longer to write this than it did to import my bookmarks !!! :cool::cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.