Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glassflank

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
I am having the following trouble with this monitor.

• When I turn the monitor off and the laptop is running, I cannot turn the monitor back on, it freezes, I need to unplug and replug the power to get it back on
  • When starting the laptop with the lid closed, it does not pickup the monitor, I need to unplug and replug the cable from the mini display port until it works, usually the monitor freezes at lease once while doing this
  • Sometimes the Apple Light on the back of the monitor screen/lid stays on when I have the monitor plugged in and the laptop lid closed, I am not sure what exactly causes this as it only happens sometimes

I am running a cable that goes from the Mini-Display/Thunderbolt output on the laptop to the Display Port input on the monitor.

As a workaround I have a 10 minute Monitor Sleep timer to turn the monitor off, as I cannot use the power button without freezing the monitor.

Thanks for your help!

Nathan.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
I am having the following trouble with this monitor.

• When I turn the monitor off and the laptop is running, I cannot turn the monitor back on, it freezes, I need to unplug and replug the power to get it back on
  • When starting the laptop with the lid closed, it does not pickup the monitor, I need to unplug and replug the cable from the mini display port until it works, usually the monitor freezes at lease once while doing this
  • Sometimes the Apple Light on the back of the monitor screen/lid stays on when I have the monitor plugged in and the laptop lid closed, I am not sure what exactly causes this as it only happens sometimes

I am running a cable that goes from the Mini-Display/Thunderbolt output on the laptop to the Display Port input on the monitor.

As a workaround I have a 10 minute Monitor Sleep timer to turn the monitor off, as I cannot use the power button without freezing the monitor.

Thanks for your help!

Nathan.
This is not normal behaviour. If you can, I'd test the display with another similar computer to rule it out, else I'm thinking you may have a faulty laptop.

ramw5p

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2010
interesting.

Im having similar problems. In clamshell mode monitor brielfy turn on..go through password, then back to sleep and wont wake up.....on hold with apple right now to talk about it

nanoguy

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2011
I've got similar problems.

For comparison, my Dell U2711 works just fine with my 2009 13" MacBook Pro via a Mini-Displayport to Displayport adapter cable.

But using the same monitor with the same cable on my new 2011 13" MacBook Pro makes the Dell freeze! The Mac seems to recognize that an external screen is attached, but the Dell stays black. All of the five touch-button lights go off, the power button stays lit (blue), but none of the buttons shows any response (even after unplugging the displayport cable). I have to unplug the power cable of the Dell to get it back to life. But still, there is no way how I can use it with the Laptop.

I have a gut feeling this has something to do with the new Thunderbolt? Does anyone have an idea how to fix this issue?

glassflank

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
I've got similar problems.

For comparison, my Dell U2711 works just fine with my 2009 13" MacBook Pro via a Mini-Displayport to Displayport adapter cable.

But using the same monitor with the same cable on my new 2011 13" MacBook Pro makes the Dell freeze! The Mac seems to recognize that an external screen is attached, but the Dell stays black. All of the five touch-button lights go off, the power button stays lit (blue), but none of the buttons shows any response (even after unplugging the displayport cable). I have to unplug the power cable of the Dell to get it back to life. But still, there is no way how I can use it with the Laptop.

I have a gut feeling this has something to do with the new Thunderbolt? Does anyone have an idea how to fix this issue?

The issue you describes is the exact same issue I have with my 2011 Macbook Pro, I recently had a 2009 Macbook pro (was stolen) and it did not have the issue.

Looks like it is a problem with the new Macbook Pro's, I suspect the thunderbolt port as well.

eonaeon

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2008
Down Under
I'm having the same problem with my 15" 2011 MacBook Pro and my new Dell U2711 Monitor as well... doesn't help the problem, but good to know it's not just me!

eonaeon

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2008
Down Under
That fixed it for me, thanks for that:

Menu->Other Settings->DDC/CI->Disable

Edit: ok maybe not after all - if my MacBook Pro has been asleep for a while, it still won't wake with the monitor plugged in.

Last edited:

nanoguy

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2011
Update fixes this issue

I have just installed Apple's most recent updates. Among them was one that is supposed to fix issues with Thunderbolt. Well, it actually worked for me. I can now use my Dell via Mini-DP to DP cable at full resolution.

There is only one issue left: The screen freezes when I first connect the cable and then turn on the monitor (i.e. pressing the Dell power button). It also freezes when I turn off the screen before disconnecting the cable. But by simply reversing the order (first turn on screen, then connect cable; first disconnect, then turn off screen) everything is alright. :)

Try it out!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.