Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old Apr 19, 2011, 08:16 PM   #1
FNH15
macrumors member

Samsung ML-1710 Print drivers not working-help!

Greetings fellow Mac users,
I have a problem with my Dell 1110 laser printer (AKA Samsung ML-1710). In Snow Leopard, it would print fine, but in Lion, for whatever reason, it displays the message "/usr/libexec/cups/filter/rastertospl failed". I navigated to the file, and it would not run due to it having PowerPC code. Is there any way to recompile that part of the driver in a code suitable for Lion, and if not, is there anyway to find another driver that is compatible with Lion and the ML-1710?

Thanks,

FNH

MacBook May 2008, 3 GB RAM, 250 GB Hard Drive, Mac OS 10.7, iPhone 3G on iOS 3.1.2
FNH15 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 09:50 AM   #2
Outsider
macrumors regular

The drivers need to be updated to Universal or Intel. It won't work as it stands. Check with the manufacturer to see if they have Intel versions of the drivers that don't rely on Rosetta.

Also, have you tried setting it up with a Generic driver?
Old Apr 20, 2011, 10:48 AM   #3
Mal
macrumors 603

Try the tips here: http://conzone.com/blog/2009/12/mati...r-and-mac-osx/

Never used that printer, so I can't vouch for the solution there, but it looks like good suggestions.

jW
NoiseTrade.com/Walker
Mal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 12:15 PM   #4
drtekrox
macrumors newbie

Download the Linux drivers located On Samsung's Website

Extract the file, you should have a folder called 'cdroot'
Navigate to cdroot/Linux/noarch/at_opt/share
you should see a folder named 'ppd' - Get info and change it's permissions to read/write for yourself and read for everyone else, apply to all enclosed items.

Remove and start re-adding your printer in System Preferences.
You will see a list named 'Print Using' - it will likely be set to Auto, choose Other.

Navigate back to cdroot/Linux/noarch/at_opt/share/ppd
Choose 'ML-1710spl2.ppd'

Done

OSX uses CUPS for printing like linux - printing support is provided in cups by a 'PostScript Printer Definition' file; These are interchangeable.
drtekrox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 05:22 PM   #5
FNH15
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post

Never used that printer, so I can't vouch for the solution there, but it looks like good suggestions.

jW
I used that solution with SPliX, and I actually gained features.
Thanks guys, I've had this problem since Preview 1, and it for pretty annoying to have to keep booting into SL every time I wanted to print!

Thanks,

FNH
Old Jul 21, 2011, 07:43 AM   #6
linnig
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtekrox View Post
Download the Linux drivers located On Samsung's Website

Remove and start re-adding your printer in System Preferences.
You will see a list named 'Print Using' - it will likely be set to Auto, choose Other.

Navigate back to cdroot/Linux/noarch/at_opt/share/ppd
Choose 'ML-1710spl2.ppd'

Done

OSX uses CUPS for printing like linux - printing support is provided in cups by a 'PostScript Printer Definition' file; These are interchangeable.
Alas, does not seem to work with official version of Lion: I get this error message:

The software for the printer was installed incorrectly. Please reinstall the software from the manufacturer.
linnig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 03:27 PM   #7
FNH15
macrumors member

Just use the SPLiX drivers-works with the GM.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 03:37 PM   #8
NeedMoreVideo
macrumors member

I had the same problem yesterday, just get the CUPS drivers for Mac... These are just like the linux drivers above, but they are all nice and packaged up for Mac with an installer...

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/colla...osxsamsung-gdi

Download all 3 things (samsing-gdi, foomatic-rip, and ghostscript). Install all 3 but make sure you install foomatic-rip first. Reboot so that your printer system is restarted then choose the Samsung-1710 foomatic driver and it will work.

I'm using this on my machine and all is happy.
NeedMoreVideo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2011, 01:20 PM   #9
veedow
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNH15 View Post
Thanks guys, I've had this problem since Preview 1, and it for pretty annoying to have to keep booting into SL every time I wanted to print!

Thanks,

FNH
I used the SPLiX drivers for Lion too. All is good! My Samsung ML-1740 is back up and printing in 10.7!

Thanks for the tip everyone.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 04:44 PM   #10
zokinet
macrumors newbie

this worked for me, SPliX

Quote:

Thanks,

FNH
zokinet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2011, 04:05 PM   #11
cramhurst
macrumors newbie

I've tried this out with my ML-1610 and although the printer physically prints the top margin is completely wrong and the print out starts probably 2cm close to the top.

Any ideas what's causing this and how to fix it?

Thanks
cramhurst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2011, 07:40 PM   #12
zub3qin
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedMoreVideo View Post
I had the same problem yesterday, just get the CUPS drivers for Mac... These are just like the linux drivers above, but they are all nice and packaged up for Mac with an installer...

Download all 3 things (samsing-gdi, foomatic-rip, and ghostscript). Install all 3 but make sure you install foomatic-rip first. Reboot so that your printer system is restarted then choose the Samsung-1710 foomatic driver and it will work.

Tried this and it worked GREAT!
Thanks a million!
zub3qin is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2011, 03:59 AM   #13
cramhurst
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramhurst View Post
I've tried this out with my ML-1610 and although the printer physically prints the top margin is completely wrong and the print out starts probably 2cm close to the top.

Thanks
I found the answer in another thread. There is something wrong with the latest foomatic rip version. If you find your printer margin is way out install the previous version, I think it was dated 2008, it's below the latest version on the download page. This worked perfectly and now my ML-1610 prints perfectly on Lion! :-)
cramhurst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:42 AM   #14
Tamburinmannen
macrumors newbie

Problem with Samsung ML 1710 in Lion

I got the same message. Does anyone have a solution? I use the printer via my Asus WL-500 router.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linnig View Post
Alas, does not seem to work with official version of Lion: I get this error message:

The software for the printer was installed incorrectly. Please reinstall the software from the manufacturer.

Last edited by Tamburinmannen; Aug 31, 2011 at 10:49 AM.
Tamburinmannen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2011, 03:37 PM   #15
dcnblues
macrumors member

I've tried every tip here, installed both Splix and the other drivers, and can't get the printer pref install to see anything when I try to add printers. Totally blank screen options.

Any info on where these items get installed, and where Lion looks for them would be most welcome.
dcnblues is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2011, 07:41 PM   #16
Yorb
macrumors newbie

Send a message via ICQ to Yorb Send a message via AIM to Yorb Send a message via MSN to Yorb Send a message via Yahoo to Yorb Send a message via Skype™ to Yorb
Thumbs up

omg thank you. saved me with some last minute concert tickets that MY FRIEND forgot to print.

splix-2.0.0 ftw! make sure you click the splix link in that post btw, because if you just google you end up on the *nix splix and that doesnt work in OS X. :]
Old Jan 13, 2012, 02:38 PM   #17
R Boffy
macrumors newbie

Roy

I used the Linux 2008 "package" on my MacOS 10.7 and it worked, but only after I had shut down and rebooted. This might be an obvious move to some - but not to me!
R Boffy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2012, 07:29 PM   #18
hashman27
macrumors newbie

Quote:

Thanks
Sorry what did you try?

Theres a couple of different suggestions here, and I was just confused as to which one you did. I have the samsung ml-1610 as well and I am so annoyed that it isn't working!

Quote:
I found the answer in another thread. There is something wrong with the latest foomatic rip version. If you find your printer margin is way out install the previous version, I think it was dated 2008, it's below the latest version on the download page. This worked perfectly and now my ML-1610 prints perfectly on Lion! :-)
I guess this post will make sense to me once I understand the first post!
hashman27 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2012, 08:59 AM   #19
jlrathke
macrumors member

Quote:

Thanks,

FNH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post

jW

The SPliX worked beautifully on my new Mac Mini. Now, if someone can help me with my HP CP1215 Color Laser.....

Thanks,

Jerry
iPhone 5
jlrathke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 06:59 PM   #20
strabo
macrumors newbie

Thumbs up Samsung ML-1710 Printer Driver for Lion

Quote:

This is the solution - thank you very much!

Johannes
strabo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:42 AM   #21
omerce
macrumors newbie

altrtv

Hi all,
samsung ml 1710 printer software and drivers on all the friends I suggest the following page. Useful.
Link: http://www.samsungdrivers.net/samsung-ml-1710-driver/

Hope this help..
omerce is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:23 PM   #22
Bernard-C
macrumors newbie

Smile Solution for Samsung ML-1710 Print drivers

Quote:

I do that yesterday with OS X 10.8.2 and my printer work well now.
Bernard-C is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 01:38 PM   #23
barbara.cuba
macrumors newbie

Smile Ml 1710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard-C View Post
I' ve done the same. Thank you!! The printer prints like a new one!
barbara.cuba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:32 PM   #24
mgabe
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard-C View Post
I, too, am having no luck using my Samsung ML1710 with Mountain Lion. Tried to download samsing-gdi, foomatic-rip, and ghostscript and install as advised above and got this message:

"Your security preferences allow installation of only apps from the Mac App Store and identified developers."

Suggestions, anyone?

Thanks.
mgabe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:03 PM   #25
mgabe
macrumors newbie

FIXED!!! I am now once again enjoying my Samsung ML 1710! Thanks much for the super guidance/help!!!
mgabe is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion