Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Searching for a used MacBook with CS5 MS already installed (they are out there, but I semi question the legitimacy of some as they have no media included, just preinstalled), and I am starting to also question on whether finding one with CS5 is really important if my main purpose is to learn Xcode, write iPad apps, and teach my oldest girl how to do the same. For those of you with CS5, how useful is it for App creation? What other applications should I be looking at with those goals? I have found I can get a decent 2.4ghz dual core with 4GB ram plus HD for around $400 (without CS5). Thanks!

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
CS5 has nothing to do with app development at all, so it's not important.

For graphics for your apps, there are dozens of other tools out there, you don't need CS5 unless you're a graphics designer and want to do graphics design.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Searching for a used MacBook with CS5 MS already installed (they are out there, but I semi question the legitimacy of some as they have no media included, just preinstalled), and I am starting to also question on whether finding one with CS5 is really important if my main purpose is to learn Xcode, write iPad apps, and teach my oldest girl how to do the same. For those of you with CS5, how useful is it for App creation? What other applications should I be looking at with those goals? I have found I can get a decent 2.4ghz dual core with 4GB ram plus HD for around $400 (without CS5). Thanks!

You don't need the Master Suite at all. There might be an argument for getting Photoshop and Illustrator but anything else is a complete waste of time.

Having said that if you ever plan on branching out into web development the Master Suite becomes more useful (although personally I'd go with Web Premium in that case).

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Thanks!

Appreciate the feedback, saves me at least $250. The one I had found for $650 With it installed had less memory, but had a 15in monitor and backlit keyboard at expense of less memory. Think one of the 13-in I had found will work fine for me without it.

hec204

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2010
Don't even bother looking for a computer with the Adobe Suite preinstalled, trust me I'm willing to bet that 99% of those preinstalled copies are pirated. No one in their right minds would sell their computer with a legitimate $2500 software suite that can only be installed on one computer at a time.
Might as well pirate it yourself if you're really going that far, you can always use the 30-day trials too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.