Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dangelovich

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2005
Hi everyone...

I've been programming on a PC for a while (mainly in VB, Java, and C/C++) and I want to start on my mac.
I've looked at some books (specifically, O'Reilly's Learning Carbon and Learning Cocoa) but have found them difficult to follow (since Xcode has been updated so much since they were published).
I tend to pick these things up quickly, as long as I'm shown the right way the first time. (Show me something once, and I've learned it forever)

Where's a good place to start? I've looked at Apple's developer site, so I'm already familiar with most of the basics... I just need some tutorials and such so I can learn enough to go on my own and discover the rest as I need it...
The O'Reilly books were great apart from being outdated. Are there books for 10.3 yet?

dangelovich

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2005
I had a look at those sites... Cocoa dev central seems to be the most useful.
Still, I'm looking for something more in the tutorial category... These sites have a few that I could find, but not many...

Any newer books out there?

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
dangelovich said:
I had a look at those sites... Cocoa dev central seems to be the most useful.
Still, I'm looking for something more in the tutorial category... These sites have a few that I could find, but not many...

Any newer books out there?

Yeah. The very first one listed. :rolleyes:

Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
yeah, the Hillegass book 2nd edition is the least worst. It's a shame, but the great learn cocoa book hasn't been written yet IMHO.

iCreate

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2002
Near Insanity
dangelovich said:
Hi everyone...

I've been programming on a PC for a while (mainly in VB, Java, and C/C++) and I want to start on my mac.
I've looked at some books (specifically, O'Reilly's Learning Carbon and Learning Cocoa) but have found them difficult to follow (since Xcode has been updated so much since they were published).
I tend to pick these things up quickly, as long as I'm shown the right way the first time. (Show me something once, and I've learned it forever)

Where's a good place to start? I've looked at Apple's developer site, so I'm already familiar with most of the basics... I just need some tutorials and such so I can learn enough to go on my own and discover the rest as I need it...
The O'Reilly books were great apart from being outdated. Are there books for 10.3 yet?
The best start would be learning Objective-C. "Programming in Objective-C" by Stephen G. Kochan will give you all the basics before trying to tackle GUI programming with Cocoa. When you're ready for Cocoa then check out "Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X" by Aaron Hillegass.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.