Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

104037-iphone_4_side_shot.jpg

Reuters reports that the next generation iPhone will start production in July and likely shipping in September.
Apple Inc suppliers will begin production of its next-generation iPhone in July this year, with the finished product likely to begin shipping in September, three people familiar with the matter said on Wednesday.
Reuters cites three people "familiar with the matter". The brief news article also claims that the new iPhone will have a faster processor but "will look largely similar to the current iPhone 4". No other details are provided, but the timeline is in line with recent rumors about the iPhone 5.

The faster processor will likely be the Dual-Core A5 processor that was introduced alongside the iPad.

Article Link: iPhone 5 Shipping in September with Faster Processor, Similar Look

Peterpot

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2011
YES!! I want that phone asap. Oh, and first comment. I'm sure I'll get it one of these times

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I believe it. Makes perfect sense. The iPhone 4 is an awesome phone so it doesn't need much improvement. A little power under the hood combined with a iOS update and the thing will continue the trek of top of the smart phone market.

There will not be a 4" screen on the next iPhone, so let us just cut that off right now. It is not necessary it is not better, although I know some of you think anytime has anything with a bigger number in it you think Apple needs to follow. That is not how they work. They make whole devices, they don't just compile disparate parts with no real rhyme or reason.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
There will not be a 4" screen on the next iPhone, so let us just cut that off right now. It is not necessary it is not better.

If you can have a bigger screen without a physically larger device size and weight, then yes, it is necessarily better.

blazinz

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Springing for just a faster processor. Dont't think thats gonna happen. I'll just stick with my iP4 until the following year...

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
faster processor = good
the iphone 4's chassis looks very sexy already....... no need redesign, honestly.

hope for AWESOME battery life
iOS 5 =)

iOS 5 + iphone 5 compatibility = a sold to me!

Jbrumz85

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
More interested in iOS 5 but faster processor, upgraded camera(s) and hopefully more memory will be a nice little upgrade

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
This will definitely be the first iteration of the iPhone that I will pass on. It's certainly not much of an upgrade from the iPhone 4.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
will only upgrade if the coolest features of iOS 5 can't be run on 3GS...otherwise, i'll wait another year for iPhone 6.

reezer

macrumors member
May 17, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Personally, I think that iP4 is the most aesthetically pleasing phone on the market. I'm not surprised to hear they will not change the design because the transition from 3G to 3Gs was similar.

The faster processor isn't necessarily a good enough reason for me to upgrade because the apps that I use regularly perform more than adequately on my iP4 (probably on 3G/3Gs models too). If I decide to start shooting more video (and editing it) or do other heavy lifting on my phone I will consider upgrading.

That being said, I think it is important for Apple to upgrade to a dual core processor, increase the memory, and make it capable of using at least one 4G network to compete with the latest Android based phones on the market.

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2008
to really stay ahead of the market Apple will need to:

add a 4" screen
keep the same form factor
add the dual core A5 processor
update the GPU to something similar (but most likely not as powerful) as in the iPad 2
while keeping the same or possibly even improving the battery life
add a 64GB version
(possible 8 MP backlit CMOS sensor camera along side possible 1080p recording since the iPad can now output in full 1080p through HDMI)

Since it sounds like Apple is going to make us wait till September anything less than this rather reasonable list would be a major letdown while allowing the competition more time to get caught up.

Last edited:

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
So this is more of the Snow Leopard like refresh not much changed but what a difference it made ;) I for one will be upgrading to a much faster dual core :D better video and of course an antenna that does not have the grip of death thingy.

I am sure someone will vice grip the iPhone 4S (5) to death even if they fix the problem out of obsession. :)

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
to really stay ahead of the market Apple will need to:

add a 4" screen
keep the same form factor
add the dual core A5 processor
update the GPU to something similar in the iPad 2
while keeping the same or improving the battery life
add a 64GB version
(possible 8 MP backlit CMOS sensor camera along side possible 1080p recording since the iPad can now output in full 1080p through HDMI)

Since it sounds like Apple is going to make us wait till September anything less than this rather reasonable list would be a major letdown while allowing the competition more time to get caught up.

Please site sources of when has Apple cared about staying ahead of an artificial market. I am trying to think of a time and they never really cared. They bring out what works when it works and that is why they do so well without having to have 100 products out all the time.

Nope Apple will take its time and do it right, as for a better camera really how big do you want to take your picture, I want sharper image and video not more gimmicky camera that don't hold their water. Faster response time on the UI would be welcome. The Snow Leopard of the phone business.

And for those that want 4G not sure if I care or want to see my battery go dead fast. I must admit 3G just does not seem slow to me and its more about location location location.
This article does not make me all warm inside about 4G for now.
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-20046412-251.html

Last edited:

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
I wonder if AT&T will bump up the upgrade window? Mine is in Jan 2012, which would be ~4 months shy of the release date for the phone.

beebler

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8H7)

Apple is also gunning for the iPad 3 to be released alongside it but I doubt it'll end UO that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.