Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wattser93

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
My 13" MBP used to idle at about 120ºF at 2000RPM fan speed at an estimated 6 to 8 hour battery life. Yesterday though, it started acting up. It's now idling at 170ºF+ and is at 3200-4000RPM under idle, with an estimated 1:30 battery life, so something is under a heavy load for no reason.

Activity monitor shows that 50% of the processor is being used, but when you add up the numbers that activity monitor provides, it only comes out to about 10% load. Istat also confirms that the processor is under about a 50% load, so something is creating a load on the processor, but I can't find the source of the problem.

I know how to do a search but in the few minutes I looked I couldn't find one that was unique enough to help me diagnose my problem exactly. Before using Applecare I'd like to try and diagnose it here. And if it's a hardware problem, I'll gladly take a 2011 model in replacement from Apple, so I don't plan on opening up my laptop to look inside or anything.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Have a look at Activity Monitor (Applications / Utilities /) and select All Processes and sort by CPU to see what the culprit may be.

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
Acitivty_Monitor.png

Wattser93

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
5638953324_3c94ec13cf_b.jpg

Thanks for the help. I have no idea what "mds" is. Anybody have any ideas?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.