Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EasyB

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2005
I have a 1.25ghz Aluminum PB, it runs extremely hot. I was wondering if the new ones run any cooler or if they have better battery life.

I need to send mine back to apple to have another issue repaired for a few weeks. I was thinking if upgrading to a new one so I would not be with out a machine for two weeks, then when this one gets back I could ebay it. I just don't believe that mhz and bluetooth 2.0 is enough of a reason to upgrade. Is there anything else that could persuade me?

Thks

debroglie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
EasyB said:
I have a 1.25ghz Aluminum PB, it runs extremely hot. I was wondering if the new ones run any cooler or if they have better battery life.

I need to send mine back to apple to have another issue repaired for a few weeks. I was thinking if upgrading to a new one so I would not be with out a machine for two weeks, then when this one gets back I could ebay it. I just don't believe that mhz and bluetooth 2.0 is enough of a reason to upgrade. Is there anything else that could persuade me?

Thks

Well, I had a 867 12" and now i have the 1.33 12" and it is much less hot. I don't know if that helps you at all
Brad

appleupnorth

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2003
Minnesota!
You cant go wrong with an Apple PowerBook.

I just have to say there are three things that really stand out with the newest PowerBooks. (I just got my 15" PowerBook this week from my org. 15" 500MHz G4)

-Quality of the materials I think that the newest models have "stepped up" the quality of materials used in the laptops. They are more rigid, less flexible and above all scratch way less than they used too.

-The new trackpad When I got this laptop, I thought it was stupid that Apple re-invented the trackpad... well, this simple little upgrade, is definitely a huge time saver. It keeps the clean lines of the PowerBook line with the added touch of quality again.

-Shh! Its Quiet I noticed right away that the fans seem to run way less than my original computer (though I know they were notorious for that) and that under a heavy work load - the fans ran very silently. In fact my Toshiba projector is louder.

I think the innovation of this series of laptop again sets Apple forward. Its not a G5 like so many people want, but for mobile professionals, its a great tool.

Matt

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
i suppose in theory the new PB's should run hotter, being a faster chip and all. but my PB is my first mac so i cant compare... just going off theory which has already been disproven

kiwi-in-uk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2004
AU
Have you looked at what is chewing up the processor to cause the heat?
I found that some HP graphics mgmt s/w, Safari at times, and MS Word tend to use a lot of processor cycles, sometimes approaching 100% when I might consider the machine to be idle. At these times the fan kicks in and the PB is rather warm.

Just an idea.
rgds

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.