Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
I have been holding out for the new Smart Cover compatible Feather case for some time. But take a look at the photos on this page... http://www.myincipio.com/iPad-2-Smart-feather-Ultralight-Hard-Shell-Case/

Is it just me, but does it cover the hinges of the Smart Cover? And if it does, will that mean that the Smart Cover can't be removed without removing the Feather case first?

I know it too early to tell, but if that's the case then the new Feather will seriously fail. One of the things people like about Smart Cover is the ability to remove it with ease. And if you do remove the Smart Cover, will it have an annoying sticking out flappy/flexible bit?

I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:

prisoner6

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2011
Certainly looks like it snaps on over the center magnet on the hinges at the very least.

It looks like this is how they are getting around leaving a large uncovered area.

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Looking at the pics it's hard to come to any other conclusion. Guess I will have to wait for first reviews, but I don't see the problem with leaving a gap as the sc is on most of the time. At this rate I think I will just go for a bodyguardz or similar.

kenlounge

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2011
According to their customer service rep...

"The Smart Cover will be able to be removed without having the feather removed."

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
It looks like it just covers the smart cover hinge, doesn't mean it locks it in. Probably just hovers a bit over top to keep the iPad protected but not lock down the smart cover, just arc over it.

prisoner6

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2011
It's good to know the Smart Cover can be removed without removing the case, but would it not then leave a piece of the case sticking out on that side?

Not a huge deal to me, but might be to some.

Personally, I actually like the design, just wish there was a clear option.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
I have been holding out for the new Smart Cover compatible Feather case for some time. But take a look at the photos on this page... http://www.myincipio.com/iPad-2-Smart-feather-Ultralight-Hard-Shell-Case/

Is it just me, but does it cover the hinges of the Smart Cover? And if it does, will that mean that the Smart Cover can't be removed without removing the Feather case first?

I know it too early to tell, but if that's the case then the new Feather will seriously fail. One of the things people like about Smart Cover is the ability to remove it with ease. And if you do remove the Smart Cover, will it have an annoying sticking out flappy/flexible bit?

I hope I'm wrong.

That's exactly how it works. Doesn't mean it's a complete fail. If you like having the Smart Cover on ALL THE TIME, then it's perfect.

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
That's exactly how it works. Doesn't mean it's a complete fail. If you like having the Smart Cover on ALL THE TIME, then it's perfect.

So you are saying you know for certain that it does have to stay on? How do you know?

If your right then I have to disagree that it's not fail. The whole point of the smart cover is that it is easy to remove. I have never heard of anyone that does not take it off at least occasionally for a bit of gaming when you don't want tue extra weight and flapping of the sc.

And why would the hinges need covering anyway? I have read every thread going and never seen one request for sc hinge protection.

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
idiotic thread, speculative nonsense!

You're the idiot. Everything is speculative if you don't own one - are we not allowed to talk about stuff we don't have? Do you even know what a discussion forum is for, you tool.

If no one could speculate, this would be a very quiet forum. Are the site owners idiotic too? (hint; it's called 'Mac Rumors').

Last edited:

kvizzel

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2011
the part covering the smart cover magnet looks like its a flap that will move. look at the crease.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
So you are saying you know for certain that it does have to stay on? How do you know?

If your right then I have to disagree that it's not fail. The whole point of the smart cover is that it is easy to remove. I have never heard of anyone that does not take it off at least occasionally for a bit of gaming when you don't want tue extra weight and flapping of the sc.

And why would the hinges need covering anyway? I have read every thread going and never seen one request for sc hinge protection.

Chill dude!!!

Just speculation, but I'm 99.99% sure of it. But it's not a complete failure. I'm just saying that there are some users out there that would like the security of knowing that their precious iPad 2 will not fall to the ground if they grab it by the Smart Cover. This design does that.

Relax man, it's not the end of the world.

And if I'm wrong, now skin off my nose. I'll go on living. :)

Roofy.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2009
it looks like you have to put the smart cover on first, then the case. the case looks like it goes over the "stick" in between the hinges. I guess that way the smart cover cant come off easy. Sounds a bit backwards to me though.

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
So it seems i was right; the smart cover can't be removed with the Smart Feather on :eek:

This is, IMO, massive fail Incipio. Of your reading - why why why did you make this crazy decision?

I cant see many Smart Cover owners wanting one now, i certainly don't as i love to take off the Smart Cover for gaming sessions. Looks like the Belkin Snap Shield is the best option for now.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Kind of depends on how easy the feather is to take on and off. I like my smart cover, and would rather hold it in place....assuming I could take the feather off easily.

OTOH, if it's difficult to take the feather (and thus the smart cover) off, then I'd agree with you about it being a bag o' fail.

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
i think its just molded to the shape of smart cover attachment and doesn't hold it in place so you should be able to easily remove the cover

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
i think its just molded to the shape of smart cover attachment and doesn't hold it in place so you should be able to easily remove the cover

Incipio have said it does need to be removed first.

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Kind of depends on how easy the feather is to take on and off. I like my smart cover, and would rather hold it in place....assuming I could take the feather off easily.

OTOH, if it's difficult to take the feather (and thus the smart cover) off, then I'd agree with you about it being a bag o' fail.

Even if it was easy it would still be a real pain IMO. And whenever I remove a case from iPad or iPhone it still to be cleaned and a small piece of grit/dirt can cause more scratches than if you had nothing on at all.

Aqua Bliss

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
I actually like this idea. How often do you guys remove your smart cover?

Intentionally (besides to put on front and back skins), I think I've done it maybe once or twice in a month and a half. It's fallen off on it's own more often than that.

This case will probably ensure the smart cover stays in place and it won't be easy for it to fall off with the case on. I don't think it will be hard to remove the case. Incipio makes great feather cases that go on/off easy when you want them to, and not when you don't. I've been using one on my iPod Touch 4g and it has a perfect mold.

Sign me up for a frost version of the smart feather, can't wait.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009

Intentionally (besides to put on front and back skins), I think I've done it maybe once or twice in a month and a half. It's fallen off on it's own more often than that.

This case will probably ensure the smart cover stays in place and it won't be easy for it to fall off with the case on. I don't think it will be hard to remove the case. Incipio makes great feather cases that go on/off easy when you want them to, and not when you don't. I've been using one on my iPod Touch 4g and it has a perfect mold.

Actually my Smart Cover is off more than it is on. My smart cover is only on when I'm using one of the stand positions, or if my iPad is not in use/in transport. If you wanted your smart cover to stay on permanently, why not get some sort of folio case?

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010

I have it on most of the time, but take it off a couple of times per day for some games. Apple intended this kind off usage, that's why they used magnets. If I wanted something on all the time I would not have got a smart cover, I would have got a full case.

It makes no sense.

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
Smart Feather is the dumbest design idea I have ever encountered.

The smart cover in the first place was designed to be easily removed to show off the iPad. That was the entire point and incipio tosses this out the window by demanding one remove the entire case in order to do this.

I would be venture to say that the majority of iPad users have more than one case and like to switch things around a little. It's like wearing the same pair of pants every day, who wants to do that? A little variety keeps things interesting I've always been told.

I like to change my case to something more durable if I'm going to the gym and have something lighter at home, but what I do not want is a struggle like with the Marware micro shell, OMG what a piece of crap. A great idea gone way bad.

I want to easily be able to slip my iPad into one case or another in no more than 20 seconds. That should not be hard for a manufacturer to accomplish!

So for all you going after the Incipio smart feather do report back on how your enjoying this idiotic design!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.