Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Mar 6, 2005, 09:38 PM   #1
masterhiggins
macrumors newbie

Airport Extreme inconsistencies?

Hello, everyone. I have a bit of an irritating issue. I've had my powerbook for about 1 year and half now and I recently purchased my wife a new iBook (xmax present). We both have exactly the same airport extreme card (with the same firmware according to system profile), yet she is able to access our Airport Express network in areas that I'm unable to. Is there a logical reason for this? Or is there a way to fix it? My signal strength drops dramatically for some reason. The only thing that I can think of is the difference in our laptop casings? Other than that, I'm completely bewildered. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

-Sam
masterhiggins is offline   0
Old Mar 6, 2005, 09:39 PM   #2
jackieonasses
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to jackieonasses
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterhiggins
Hello, everyone. I have a bit of an irritating issue. I've had my powerbook for about 1 year and half now and I recently purchased my wife a new iBook (xmax present). We both have exactly the same airport extreme card (with the same firmware according to system profile), yet she is able to access our Airport Express network in areas that I'm unable to. Is there a logical reason for this? Or is there a way to fix it? My signal strength drops dramatically for some reason. The only thing that I can think of is the difference in our laptop casings? Other than that, I'm completely bewildered. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

-Sam
The iBook's antenna is in the screen i think, (maybe the other way around) And the Powerbook's casing is steel - not a very good passive substance.

kyle
jackieonasses is offline   0
Old Mar 6, 2005, 10:25 PM   #3
biohazard6969
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to biohazard6969 Send a message via MSN to biohazard6969 Send a message via Yahoo to biohazard6969 Send a message via Skype™ to biohazard6969
yea i find that with my 12" powerbook, it never got a good enough signal in my room in the basement (still in highschool) but my imac G3 right beside it gets almost full signal, i ended up buying an airport express to extent the network so that my powerbook would have internet in my room, i assume its the casing, and on the powerbook, i believe it is the bluetooth antenna that is on the screen
biohazard6969 is offline   0
Old Mar 6, 2005, 10:32 PM   #4
Rod Rod
macrumors 68020

All aluminum PowerBooks have their Airport antennas on the upper case, right behind those plastic nubs on either side of the screens (on the lid). iBooks have their Airport antennas in the same spot but since the lids and bezels are made of plastic, they get much better reception than PowerBooks.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers