Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nunes013

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
I am really interested in the square app that can accept credit cards. However they require a social security number. I know this company is fairly new and I just wanted to know do u guys think it is safe giving them the number. I know it's for identity purposes but this is the only thing keeping me from activating. Has anyone here used it and really liked it. I'm not a business owner. I'm still a student but I plan on starting a private saxophone studio soon and it would very convenient to use this so parents don't have to have cash or checks when they pay.

Shawnpk

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I've used the square app. It works great and takes very little effort. People are really surprised/shocked when I ask them to sign my iPhone/iPad. Opened up a whole new revenue stream. Not sure if they are still giving the swiping dongle away for free anymore as I read somewhere it is now available at Apple stores for $9.95.

libertysat

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2010
My sales have declined substantially over past 3 years which got me looking at my merchant services costs

I was paying over $40/month just for the privilege to accept all 4 plus (minus) the % per transaction

I switched to Square a couple months ago and am completely satisfied

Square immediately sends customer an email receipt and to me an alert that the transaction happened and next day another telling me how much they just dumped into my account

No fees except for 2.?% for swiped transactions and a bit more for keyed in sales
The little reader gizmo was free and they even sent a gift of a free rubber case

Go for it, nothing to lose...

sotorious

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
So thats all it charges you is that 2.x% and it doesnt charge you the % that visa or american express charge per swipe?!

Shawnpk

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
So thats all it charges you is that 2.x% and it doesnt charge you the % that visa or american express charge per swipe?!

Yep. Just 2.75% per swipe and nothing more. Plus, they take Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover. Not sure why people who have an iPhone/iPad would choose any other service.

sotorious

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
Yep. Just 2.75% per swipe and nothing more. Plus, they take Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover. Not sure why people who have an iPhone/iPad would choose any other service.

Wow i sort of turned the other cheek because i thought it was 2.75% ontop of like the 4% american express would charge. Damn and they werent reporting to the IRS all this time and now i think they are, time to get into this.

Also it doesnt have to be a business bank account, i could just add my very own bank/ checking account to it and the money would get deposited in there correct?

Shawnpk

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Wow i sort of turned the other cheek because i thought it was 2.75% ontop of like the 4% american express would charge. Damn and they werent reporting to the IRS all this time and now i think they are, time to get into this.

Also it doesnt have to be a business bank account, i could just add my very own bank/ checking account to it and the money would get deposited in there correct?

Yes. I have a DBA and my Square account is attached to my personal account. Works great.

rever3nce

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
OP
i was concerned about the whole SSN too . i ended up just saying screw it and went with it . i have to say this is amazing . just 5 years ago some phone called a razor was the biggest thing and now we can take card payments from an iphone. i just got my device in today and used it already. my step mom owed me $13 for dinner yesterday and she tried to pull the " i only have cash and your dad has it" pulled out the square and told her i could charge her card :D the look on her face was priceless . specially when i told her to sign my iphone haha its an amazing device and will come in handy . i really would like to spread the word so everyone could be comfortable using it with people they dont know. ex if you sell something and they dont have cash on them ASAP you can use the square! but i see some people that you may not know seeing it as a scam or dont feel trusted sliding their card on your phone lol

sotorious

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
I wanna use this for my business for american express because they charging about 4% per transaction, so i want to solely use this for american express only.

Also is there anyway to contact these people by phone?

Last edited:

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
I use it from time to time. No problems. Takes 3 days to get your money. It went in on Monday night and I could use it in my account on Thursday.

mms13

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Baltimore, MD
I've used this once.

I did some research study and was given a stipend in the form of a $200 prepaid visa card. I've always found those to be annoying because you have to use exactly the balance (if you charge over than it get's declined), so I just used Square to get $194.50 sent right to my bank account). It was super easy and fast.
Plus, I get 5% back at many places with my credit card, so charging to it my credit card as opposed to using that prepaid card would actually net me more than $200, so the Square fee doesn't even bother me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.