Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Old Apr 23, 2011, 12:18 PM   #1
kdelaney
macrumors newbie

Red face Connect External Monitor via USB - MacBook Pro

Greetings! I live in a blended family (I use mac , roommate uses pc - haven't converted her yet). She and I would like to live in harmony and use a shared desktop workstation.

I've hooked all external components (mouse, keyboard, printer) via USB to a Lenovo K33415 Port Replicator. NEC AccuSync LCD also connected to Port Replicator via VGA.

When I plug her PC in, it recognizes all components immediately. My MacBook recognizes all components except the monitor.

Do I have to use a Mini DisplayPort to connect the monitor to the Mac? Or can I make it work as is with the USB?

Thank you sooooo much!!!!
kdelaney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2011, 04:29 PM   #2
joshjohnson
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdelaney View Post
Greetings! I live in a blended family (I use mac , roommate uses pc - haven't converted her yet). She and I would like to live in harmony and use a shared desktop workstation.

I've hooked all external components (mouse, keyboard, printer) via USB to a Lenovo K33415 Port Replicator. NEC AccuSync LCD also connected to Port Replicator via VGA.

When I plug her PC in, it recognizes all components immediately. My MacBook recognizes all components except the monitor.

Do I have to use a Mini DisplayPort to connect the monitor to the Mac? Or can I make it work as is with the USB?

Thank you sooooo much!!!!
Does the port replicator work with displaylink software? that's pretty much the standard for USB video: http://www.displaylink.com/ The os x driver is here: http://www.displaylink.com/support/mac_downloads.php

Note usb video is really slow to respond vs the displayport or dvi or vga because of the limited bandwidth and you will need the built-in screen on that macbook to install the driver but you should be able to watch youtube videos. Also, forget games, it does NO 3d.
joshjohnson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2011, 06:17 PM   #3
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030

You are far better off going through VGA.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 08:14 AM   #4
discounteggroll
macrumors 6502

they do have USB dongles which convert to a VGA display. OWC sells them (as well as chinese vendors) and they work, but to a limited extent. We use them at a K-12 school and for that use it is fine. I would do mini display to vga if you are doing anything video related.
discounteggroll is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook