Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
I ordered the Kingston V+100 96GB SSD drive yesterday from Amazon. I heard that from a compatibility point of view, it is the best drive because it using the Toshiba controller that Apple uses in its computers with SSDs pre-installed.

I was wondering if anyone has upgraded to this drive and would be able to tell me how much of a performance difference I will get?

I have a 2011 13" MacBook Pro 2.3Ghz. I recently upgrading to 8GB RAM and the computer has the stock 320GB hard drive.

Can't wait to get it - it should be here Tuesday!

NickZac

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2010
It is a good SSD but given you have a 2011, if the price was the same, I would have purchased a SATA3 (6.0) SSD given that the Kingston will only run at half the computer's theoretical maximum data transfer speed.

For at least now, it won't make a huge difference depending on the individual type of SSD, at least for most users. And yes, it is a pretty decent drive and one of good value, so if you got it for a good price, then heck yeah!

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
I managed to snag it for £90 / $148 including taxes.

Can't wait for it to arrive! I didn't want to spend too much money due to how fast SSD technology is progressing. I thought this would be a good place to start without spending too much money. It seems to be a relatively feature rich drive with long term performance compared to some other drives.

I'll let you all know how I get on once it arrives - including some timing comparisons.

This might be a stupid question - but am I still formatting the drive as a Mac OS Extended (Journaled) drive?

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Thank you! I'll report back with some stats.

Is there anything in particular anybody would like me to compare between my current and new drive?

- Boot time from pressing power button to desktop with Wi-Fi connection. Enable auto login.
And run some benchmarks, too. I have been considering getting this drive as well. :)

oButto

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2011
Found a deal for $180 after a $40 mail in rebate for a 128gb v100 in microcenter. Does it run w/o any problems? Getting my macbook pro and the SSD tomorrow :)

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
Found a deal for $180 after a $40 mail in rebate for a 128gb v100 in microcenter. Does it run w/o any problems? Getting my macbook pro and the SSD tomorrow :)

V100 model is different from the V+100 model that I've purchased. Also, I haven't received the drive yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.