Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ronaldcastillo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
I'm planning on ordering an iPad 2 soon, and was wondering if the white bezel gets dirty quickly? I plan on placing a screen protector over here, so that will probably help the problem out. But for the home button does it attract a lot of dusts and is it noticeable? Thank you!

sarends

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2009
I own a roofing company and take my white iPad 2 Verizon 3G with me everywhere. It has a gray smart cover. The iPad itself cleans up wonderfully but the smart cover gets very dirty (incidentally, I am looking for another cover - going to try a Yoobao).

The white iPad's white material is glassy and is very resistant to getting smudged/blackened like a white MacBook does.

iSingandiDance

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Nope, not at all. But my blue poly smartcover has accumulated quite the grime.

A red leather pickup is on the horizon.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
Two white ones in my house. Neither looks bad yet. Appears to be reverse painted glass to me, so the white border gets cleaned when the screen does.

number84

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2011
If you're worried about the home button get a screen protector that comes with protector for the home button as well. BSE's screen protector has them.

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
I've had my white iPad 2 for weeks. The black model seems to show a lot more "dirt" (fingerprints especially) than the white model.

I have the original iPad in black so it's easy to make comparisons.

I wouldn't worry about the white model. They're both covered in glass as has been pointed out and wipe clean easily.

Jigsawjammer

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2009
NYC
I own a roofing company and take my white iPad 2 Verizon 3G with me everywhere. It has a gray smart cover. The iPad itself cleans up wonderfully but the smart cover gets very dirty (incidentally, I am looking for another cover - going to try a Yoobao).

The white iPad's white material is glassy and is very resistant to getting smudged/blackened like a white MacBook does.

Same thing for me- the smart cover is what you need to consider more for dirt as I have the gray cover as well and need to watch out for dirt on that.

I wanted black originally but think the white is actually great.

calvy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2007
The white bezel is painted white underneath the glass, same as the black. The white home button is covered with a glossy finish, Neither absorb oils and yellow. Same as the old white iPod I have. It's not glass on the front, but it does have a clear plastic over the white plastic, so it doesn't yellow.

Long story short, quit worrying about white people! Buy it, it's awesome.

scwatkins77

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2011
No if anything it hides dust and fingerprints much better ...

Yep.

It's not like the paint is the top layer. It's beneath the glass, so it can't get dirty. And the dust and fingerprints on the glass don't show up against the white background like they do the black.

calvy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2007
No it's not distracting to watch movies or play games. Just like the silver bezel on my anti-glare Macbook Pro does not distract from it's screen.

MasonH

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2011
I'm planning on ordering an iPad 2 soon, and was wondering if the white bezel gets dirty quickly? I plan on placing a screen protector over here, so that will probably help the problem out. But for the home button does it attract a lot of dusts and is it noticeable? Thank you!

Both are glass covered so no difference there.

However the black bezel nicely "fades away" when you are watching something, reading something or playing a game. For me with the white one... not so much.

The white never gets out of the picture for me... It just is always very noticeable.
Like a picture frame or a refrigerator or something :)

Just glares in your face. And who wants to notice the bezel all the time ?

Well that's one man's opinion anyways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.