Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 24, 2011, 12:09 AM   #1
SamWavy
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Toronto, ON
Buy a new/used Mac Pro desktop right now or wait?

Hey guys, Just wondering if you can give me some quick advice.

I currently own a Macbook Pro 2.4ghz Intel i5 (use it with an external monitor, apple keyboard, and wireless logitech mouse),
mainly for music/video production but now it's time for an upgrade since my work is expanding for upcoming summer projects.
If I do buy a brand new Mac Pro right now, I plan on keeping it for 3-5 years then upgrade.
I'm trying to keep a $3000 budget, but sometimes I can go overboard.

Here are my options ..

OPTION 1 - Wait until the next Mac Pro is released.
Upgrade the ram/hd on my Macbook pro for now,
$105 for adding 8gb ram and $120 for a 1TB Hard Drive.
(Currently have 320gb hd and a Western Digital 2GB MyStudio external).
So my cost of upgrade will $225.

I have lot of work to do this summer,
so if i wait for new Mac Pro release,
it better be worth it. Could be months from now!

OPTION 2 - Buy a new Mac Pro right now
Brand New Mac Pro desktop (One 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Nehalem" processor,
3GB (three 1GB) memory, 1TB hard drive, 18x double-layer SuperDrive, ATI Radeon HD 5770 120 with 1GB GDDR5)
It retails for $2599 + Tax, but with a special corporate discount,
I'm getting it for $2100 including tax.
I plan on spending another $120 for a 2TB Caviar Green Hard Drive and $825 32gb OWC Memory Upgrade Kit.
So my total for this beast I'll be spending $3045.

OPTION 3 - Buy a used one, then upgrade after a 2 years.
Used Apple Mac Pro (2.66GHz Intel Quad Core Xeon, 1GB DDR2 ECC Ram,
250GB SATA Hard Drive, 16x SuperDrive with double-layer support, GeForce 7300GT 256MB Ram).
I can get this desktop for $800, and then I plan on spending another $120 for a 2TB Caviar Green Hard Drive
and $825 32gb OWC Memory Upgrade Kit. So my total for this will be $1845.

Let me know your thoughts, suggestions and any useful advice.

Thanks!

Last edited by SamWavy; Apr 24, 2011 at 01:07 AM.
SamWavy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2011, 03:17 AM   #2
Hellhammer
Moderator
 
Hellhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Send a message via MSN to Hellhammer
Well, it's unlikely that Mac Pro will be updated before Q4 2011 or early 2012. That is because there won't be new CPUs before that. So, are you ready to wait that long?
__________________
SSD Editor for AnandTech
You can also follow me in Twitter!
Hellhammer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2011, 07:40 AM   #3
philipma1957
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamWavy View Post
Hey guys, Just wondering if you can give me some quick advice.

I currently own a Macbook Pro 2.4ghz Intel i5 (use it with an external monitor, apple keyboard, and wireless logitech mouse),
mainly for music/video production but now it's time for an upgrade since my work is expanding for upcoming summer projects.
If I do buy a brand new Mac Pro right now, I plan on keeping it for 3-5 years then upgrade.
I'm trying to keep a $3000 budget, but sometimes I can go overboard.

Here are my options ..


I have lot of work to do this summer,
so if i wait for new Mac Pro release,
it better be worth it. Could be months from now!

OPTION 2 - Buy a new Mac Pro right now
Brand New Mac Pro desktop (One 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Nehalem" processor,
3GB (three 1GB) memory, 1TB hard drive, 18x double-layer SuperDrive, ATI Radeon HD 5770 120 with 1GB GDDR5)
It retails for $2599 + Tax, but with a special corporate discount,
I'm getting it for $2100 including tax.
I plan on spending another $120 for a 2TB Caviar Green Hard Drive and $825 32gb OWC Memory Upgrade Kit.
So my total for this beast I'll be spending $3045. ...


Let me know your thoughts, suggestions and any useful advice.

Thanks!
I say option 2 but with a twist. get the machine for 2100.

get this ssd for 300

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Intel-SSDSA2...ht_2545wt_1189


get the western digital 2tb for 95 at this site

use BUNNY15 for 15 dollars off
http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?...ing-Hard-Drive

get the ram at this site for 550

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?...-Server-Memory


total cost is 3045 but you get an intel series 320 160gb ssd for free.

Then one more thing do my hex mod in a year see link


http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...551&highlight= you will have a very good setup for years maybe 3 to 5.

Last edited by philipma1957; Apr 24, 2011 at 07:45 AM.
philipma1957 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2011, 07:42 AM   #4
Ommid
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Id get a used 8 core to be honest.
Ommid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2011, 08:42 AM   #5
TomKing
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
ok, so I'm in a very similar situation, I have a couple of big projects coming up this year, and I am going to need a machine to edit with.

Im using logic and several plug-ins. Occasionally deals with RAW video footage, but not to edt, just to view.

So here's my question... (like i said its pretty similar)

Realistically I cant wait until Q1 2012 for the new sandy bridge processors, plus my budget only really stretches to the base model mac pro.

(Now before everyone jumps down my throat, I am aware that it works out more cost effective to go for the duel processor models, and really i should be looking at the hex. but thats where my budget sits)

Now I'll be dropping an SSD in as the boot drive, as that seems essential at the moment. but obviously the base model only has 4 dimm slots, and only 3GB of RAM.

So I've been looking at going second hand, 2008/9 8core, 16GB RAM similar prices to new base model.

I dont need anyone to list the hardware differences, because I know them, but what i could do with is, is someone with real world experience or using Logic with mac pros, and knowing the difference between 667MHz DDR2 and 1066MHz DDR3.

That said, I understand the data transfer rates between the two, and the CAS timings, and fact that one is 2 and the other 3 channel.

What I really need to know, is how this will effect my plugins, and also the performance of logic.

I look forward to your replies.
TomKing is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2011, 01:06 PM   #6
SamWavy
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Toronto, ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellhammer View Post
Well, it's unlikely that Mac Pro will be updated before Q4 2011 or early 2012. That is because there won't be new CPUs before that. So, are you ready to wait that long?
I'm very impatient, and so waiting 6-7 months can be tough since I need to get work done. If I was using this desktop for fun (surfing, checking e-mail, etc.) I would just wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellhammer View Post
I say option 2 but with a twist. get the machine for 2100.

get this ssd for 300

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Intel-SSDSA2...ht_2545wt_1189


get the western digital 2tb for 95 at this site

use BUNNY15 for 15 dollars off
http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?...ing-Hard-Drive

get the ram at this site for 550

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?...-Server-Memory


total cost is 3045 but you get an intel series 320 160gb ssd for free.

Then one more thing do my hex mod in a year see link


http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...551&highlight= you will have a very good setup for years maybe 3 to 5.
How will the Intel 160GB SSD benefit me? That's an additional $300. Would that be for my macbook pro?
This Western Digital 2TB is a must and $95 is a good deal. I'm reading on other posts that the Hynix ram is not as good compared to the OWC ram (but you do save $$$).
SamWavy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2011, 01:33 PM   #7
Transporteur
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamWavy View Post
I'm reading on other posts that the Hynix ram is not as good compared to the OWC ram (but you do save $$$).
That's not true. Hynix is one of the 5 manufactures of RAM left these days and amongst others (mainly Samsung) the very brand Apple themselves ship with their machines.

I never had any problem with Hynix RAM, whereas the stories where people had failing OWC sticks after only a view months don't stop.
Transporteur is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2011, 02:03 PM   #8
philipma1957
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamWavy View Post
I'm very impatient, and so waiting 6-7 months can be tough since I need to get work done. If I was using this desktop for fun (surfing, checking e-mail, etc.) I would just wait.



How will the Intel 160GB SSD benefit me? That's an additional $300. Would that be for my macbook pro?
This Western Digital 2TB is a must and $95 is a good deal. I'm reading on other posts that the Hynix ram is not as good compared to the OWC ram (but you do save $$$).
The example was an illustration of a better deal for the same money.

I use the ssd in my mac pro. It speeds things up a bit. you could just buy the ram and the hdd and spend 2745.


Hynix is good ram. if you study the site you will read far more ram failures of owc then hynix. Owc rebrands ram Hynix is an oem ram maker. I have purchased ram from owc that has hynix chips in it.

I like owc for service and they have nice ssds along with a few nice cases for external hdds. they aslo have great install videos for all kinds of apple gear.
philipma1957 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2011, 02:33 PM   #9
TheStrudel
macrumors 65816
 
TheStrudel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transporteur View Post
I never had any problem with Hynix RAM, whereas the stories where people had failing OWC sticks after only a view months don't stop.
Got a link? I've never heard anything along those lines about OWC RAM being unreliable - nor experienced it myself - and they have free advance replacement, along with lifetime guarantee policies...
__________________
2.8 Penryn Octad MP+10GB RAM+Flashed 4870+OCZ Vtx2+Blu-ray+DS-263N+NEC20"+DellU2211h
NikonD80+Glass, Canon XF100
Video Editing+Photography+Design
TheStrudel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2011, 02:54 PM   #10
Transporteur
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStrudel View Post
Got a link? I've never heard anything along those lines about OWC RAM being unreliable - nor experienced it myself - and they have free advance replacement, along with lifetime guarantee policies...
I don't have a link, but you could try the forum search if you wish. I can't recommend it though, as you'd probably end up with 5000 threads only because the word RAM or OWC in it.

There's a myriad of posts in this forum where people had to return their OWC RAM. Especially for people that don't live in the US that's a pain, which is why I can't understand why people out of the UK still buy that stuff. Local sellers are far more convenient (Crucial, Hynix, Samsung etc.).
Transporteur is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2011, 03:13 PM   #11
Vantage Point
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New Jersey
Hynix Ram was the original RAM in my 2009 iMac and 2009 MB. Very reliable.

Regarding OWC RAM there was a very long thread about problems with this last December. It seems like they had a bad batch. I know this is true because I was one of the people with bad OWC RAM. I called their support and they did help be verify it - you can run on just one stick to test, then remove and run off the other stick to test... Anyway, mine was bad and because OWC has advanced replacement I was able to have the ship my new RAM before the defective RAM was returned - they paid for shipping and did take my CC number in case the old RAM didn't make it back. The replacement was fine, using it now, and I sold the original RAM from my 2010 15" MBP which was Samsung brand. Again, the problem with OWC was a bad batch which cleared itself out in about a month. Haven't read any complaint in months
__________________
MacBook Pro 15", 2.4Ghz i5, 8GB RAM (2010), 750GB WD Scorpio Black + NEC 26" LCD2690W2-BK-SV Monitor
iPhone 5 iPad2 Wi-Fi
Vantage Point is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2011, 02:23 AM   #12
CaptainChunk
macrumors 68020
 
CaptainChunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
My thoughts...

Option 1:
I guess you'd have to ask yourself how much more productive you could be with a more powerful (and more flexible) desktop machine versus your current laptop. And I wouldn't expect to see a Mac Pro refresh before Q1 2012 anyway. The Sandy Bridge Xeons aren't expected to ship until at least Q4 2011.

Option 2:
This is probably the option you'll want to go with if you really think you can use a more powerful machine NOW. And by this, I mean that it will make you more productive, thus more profitable.

Option 3:
Avoid. This is a 2006 (1st-gen) Mac Pro: older EFI-32 platform (limited graphics card choices) and questionable future support from Apple. Also, these machines use DDR2 ECC FB-DIMMs, which cost more than the DDR3 ECC DIMMs that the 2009-10 machines use. OWC's price on a 32GB kit for 2006 machine is actually $1,149. In summary, if you're still considering a used machine, you'll be much better off with a 2009 model at this point.


I would also evaluate whether or not you actually need 32GB of RAM right now. Any way you look at it, it costs a lot of bones to max out your RAM. What software would you be running? Depending on your situation, that money could be distributed to other upgrades that may make a larger impact on performance, like an SSD or faster GPU.
__________________
MP 8x2.8GHz, 16GB RAM, flashed 8800GT; Early '08
15" MBP 2.6GHz, 4GB RAM; Early '08 (RIP)
13" MBP 2.3GHz, 8GB RAM; Early '11
CaptainChunk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2011, 10:30 AM   #13
jetjaguar
macrumors 68000
 
jetjaguar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: new jersey
question about ram.. if i only want 16gb right now because I dont have the money to get 32...can i just buy two 8gb sticks and just run them ?? or am i killing performance by now using 3
__________________
27" iMac | iPhone 6+ | iPad Air | aTV
jetjaguar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2011, 12:43 PM   #14
derbothaus
macrumors 601
 
derbothaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
You may loose 100 points in Geekbench. Negligible consequence really. Memory is so fast these days. I don't see much difference between 1066MHz and 1333MHz. Some will say you must have 3x dimms, they can't tell the real world difference either.
__________________
Mac Pro W3680, GTX 680, 12GB DDR3, SSD; MBP, 2.6GHz Core i7, 16GB DDR3, SSD; Eizo fs2333
derbothaus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2011, 03:53 PM   #15
Knollwood7E
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
I am planning on switching my investment analysis programs from PC (on high performance desk top w/ Windows 7 Ultimate) to the 12-core MAC PRO. I was planning to wait on the next update of the hardware, believing it would be soon, based on comments in the Buyer Guide section of MacRumors. However comments in this forum clearly show that no upgrade is expected before q4/2011 or q1/2012.

what is the current view about how much of a performance difference there will be between the current MAC PRO and the next one? My applications are actively updating multiple screens, heavily computational, and simultaneously processing streaming financial data coming in from Bloomberg. If there is a major boost expected, then I would continue to use my PC until the next MAC PRO; otherwise I would buy now. I definitely want to get away from Windows.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Knollwood7E is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2011, 05:07 PM   #16
blunti
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knollwood7E View Post
I am planning on switching my investment analysis programs from PC (on high performance desk top w/ Windows 7 Ultimate) to the 12-core MAC PRO. I was planning to wait on the next update of the hardware, believing it would be soon, based on comments in the Buyer Guide section of MacRumors. However comments in this forum clearly show that no upgrade is expected before q4/2011 or q1/2012.

what is the current view about how much of a performance difference there will be between the current MAC PRO and the next one? My applications are actively updating multiple screens, heavily computational, and simultaneously processing streaming financial data coming in from Bloomberg. If there is a major boost expected, then I would continue to use my PC until the next MAC PRO; otherwise I would buy now. I definitely want to get away from Windows.

Thank you in advance for your help.

These 12 core beasts are still going to be beasts once the Sandy Bridge xeons come out... So if I was to buy one now (meaning you NEED it for work/hobby/whatever), I would clearly stick to the 12 core one...
blunti is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To buy a Mac Book Pro.. or to wait... logangetter MacBook Pro 16 Feb 27, 2014 09:06 AM
Buy 2009 Mac Pro or wait for new mini? OS-SEX Mac mini 8 Feb 4, 2014 03:33 PM
Buy iMac 27" now or wait for Mac Pro? badlydrawnboy Buying Tips and Advice 13 Oct 11, 2013 02:01 PM
Buy a maxed out i7 iMac or wait on the Mac Pro? JWSandi iMac 15 Jul 30, 2013 01:35 PM
Better wait for an iMac or buy a Retina Mac Pro ? davidgnomo iMac 16 Jun 16, 2012 08:22 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:25 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC