Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Apr 24, 2011, 01:45 PM   #1
gabespana12
macrumors newbie

How to use an iPhone on at&t without data plan?

I'm considering buying an iPhone 3GS off of ebay to replace my old phone which is on at&t, the only plan on my current phone is a $30 voice plan, I would like to keep it that way. What exactly do I need to do with this iPhone to keep my plan? (I also plan on using my current sim card) Do I need to jailbreak and/or unlock it? I was also wondering if I could use a jailbroken iPhone on a pay as you go network, specifically at&t pay as you go. If so, how could I do this? Thanks for your all's help!
gabespana12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2011, 01:58 PM   #2
wordoflife
macrumors 604

You can keep your $30 voice plan but you would have to sign up for a data plan. They have one for $15
It is possible to use the iPhone without data (for an unknown period of time) if you have a data opt out on your account because AT&T considers "data opt out" as a data plan. Also, you don't need to JB/unlock your phone to use it on AT&T whether it is pre or post paid.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 02:02 AM   #3
eastercat
macrumors 68040

AT&T will automatically add a data plan for the iPhone. There's no avoiding it.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks