Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bgut1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2011
I just ordered an ATV2 (mostly for the purpose of running PlayOn/Hulu through XBMC) and no matter how many times I search on Google, I can't seem to get answers to some of my questions and would appreciate any help you nice folks could give.

1. What firmware do the ATV2's currently come with? 4.2.1 or 4.3? I was hoping to get one with 4.2.1 as I understand that XBMC has issues with 4.3?

2. What is the best way to jailbreak the ATV2? If 4.3, Seas0nPass or Sn0wBreeze? If 4.2.1, GreenPois0n?

3. What is the best way to install XBMC once I jailbreak? Through NitoTv or SSH?

4. Is their any benefit to purchasing ATV Flash? Is it only for people who don't want to SSH? I see that it adds CouchSurfer Pro and Last.fm. Anything else that I can't get through NitoTv? Don't want to needlessly spend $20 when I can do most of the work myself.

5. What are the must have apps to download through NitoTV? Overflow, PLEX, etc.?

6. Last, what is the best way to store and play DVD's? Through iTunes, rip through Handbrake and play through XBMC or PLEX?

I really appreciate the help. Thanks.

Last edited:

bgut1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks Blueroom.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
1. What firmware do the ATV2's currently come with? 4.2.1 or 4.3? I was hoping to get one with 4.2.1 as I understand that XBMC has issues with 4.3?
They're using fragmented version numbers with the ATV2 for some dumb reason. It's called 4.2.1 by the device but it's the version 4.3. Might be actually higher than that (modified 4.3.2?) now but I'm at work and cannot check.

That being said, it depends on whether or not it was shipped with the new version. I doubt that they would update the ATV2s in store like they do the computers.

2. What is the best way to jailbreak the ATV2? If 4.3, Seas0nPass or Sn0wBreeze? If 4.2.1, GreenPois0n?
I personally like Pwnagetool, but I've used Seas0nPass before and it works pretty well. The auto-scripting of iTunes restore is very handy.

3. What is the best way to install XBMC once I jailbreak? Through NitoTv or SSH?
I've always done SSH, but I've been a Mac guy for a long time. Are you a Windows user? If so the SSH option may be new for you.

4. Is their any benefit to purchasing ATV Flash? Is it only for people who don't want to SSH? I see that it adds CouchSurfer Pro and Last.fm. Anything else that I can't get through NitoTv? Don't want to needlessly spend $20 when I can do most of the work myself.
Unless you specifically want those special features, there's no reason to purchase that software. All it is is an idiot-proof jailbreak that isn't called a jailbreak for marketing purposes.

6. Last, what is the best way to store and play DVD's? Through iTunes, rip through Handbrake and play through XBMC or PLEX?

If you're a Mac user, I highly recommend the DVD Automator functions located HERE. Takes about 20 minutes to setup, but will save you hours of headaches later on.

bgut1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks Blevins321. Although I'm a Windows user your advice is helpful. I hope to buy a Mac this year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.