Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Mar 7, 2005, 04:48 PM   #1
Reeves
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to Reeves
Blu-Ray

Has anyone heard of this thing called "Blu-Ray"? Apperently they are making dual-layered discs that hold up to 54GB! These machines are due out in 2006/2007. I'm quite intrested in it, does anyone think Macs will get BD-Rom, BD-R, and BD-RW drives. I hope so because this looks impressive.
www.blu-ray.com

Last edited by Reeves; Mar 7, 2005 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Wrong link...
Reeves is offline   0
Old Mar 7, 2005, 05:10 PM   #2
superbovine
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves
Has anyone heard of this thing called "Blu-Ray"? Apperently they are making dual-layered discs that hold up to 54GB! These machines are due out in 2006/2007. I'm quite intrested in it, does anyone think Macs will get BD-Rom, BD-R, and BD-RW drives. I hope so because this looks impressive.
www.blu-ray.com
yeah your behide on things.
superbovine is offline   0
Old Mar 7, 2005, 05:13 PM   #3
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

More info

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=84793

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=75486
Blue Velvet is offline   0
Old Mar 7, 2005, 05:13 PM   #4
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601

Steve mentioned Blu-Ray along with another standard for the next generation DVD at the last keynote. Apple will probably choose a standard within 6 months to a year. I am surprised it has taken so long to take off. I wonder if the unit price for a Blu-Ray drive is still too high for even $3,000 PC/Mac.
BornAgainMac is offline   0
Old Mar 7, 2005, 05:21 PM   #5
GFLPraxis
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves
www.blu-ray.com

Well, it's a tough one.

There are two competing standards, HD-DVD and Blu-Ray.

One of them will probably at some point be ratified as the standard for next-generation DVDs.

Blu-ray is owned SOLELY by Sony, while HD-DVD is owned by several companies.

It's very similar to Betamax vs VHS.

Blu-ray has higher capacity (54 GB on a dual layer disk, vs 30 GB on a dual layer HD-DVD), but HD-DVD is FAR cheaper to produce since they can be produced at current DVD production factories.

I think HD-DVD will probably win out, since a lot of people don't want Sony to have complete control of the standard, and its cheaper as well.
GFLPraxis is offline   0
Old Mar 7, 2005, 05:42 PM   #6
qzak
macrumors 6502

one thing that got me when looking at which mac to get last week was how none of them come with dual layer dvd burners. it just seems like something i thought apple would be ahead of, but they're only up to 8x single layer right now, and that was just upgraded. i mean u can get a dual layer burner for less than 100 bucks now.

i was just suprised they're just at 8x single layer considering all the video editing and stuff people do on macs.
qzak is offline   0
Old Mar 7, 2005, 05:58 PM   #7
BakedBeans
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by qzak
one thing that got me when looking at which mac to get last week was how none of them come with dual layer dvd burners. it just seems like something i thought apple would be ahead of, but they're only up to 8x single layer right now, and that was just upgraded. i mean u can get a dual layer burner for less than 100 bucks now.

i was just suprised they're just at 8x single layer considering all the video editing and stuff people do on macs.
yep, add to that the fact that they cant even put a top o the line gpu in there 2kGBP powermac, well its pretty dire
BakedBeans is offline   0
Old Mar 7, 2005, 06:25 PM   #8
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by qzak

There's a simple reason for this. Can you find dual-layer DVD media as easily as you say you can find dual-layer drives? Thought not.

Blu-ray/HD-DVD hasn't made it to Macs yet for the exact same reason.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 06:45 PM   #9
qzak
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrldwzrd89
There's a simple reason for this. Can you find dual-layer DVD media as easily as you say you can find dual-layer drives? Thought not.

you could find 8x media easily for awhile before apple put upgraded, and u can easily find media faster than 8x now. and yes, i happen to be able to find dual layer media no problem. it costs more yes, but i can find it no problem.
qzak is offline   0
Old Mar 7, 2005, 07:22 PM   #10
absolutmp5
macrumors regular

you have to understand mac though doing a huge community service as a viable option against windows it is a buisness. Product placement and milking their products for all their worth is the most important aspect of how apple operates. besides dual layer buring will definetly be in the new powermacs when the revision, its just something to add for marketing
absolutmp5 is offline   0
Old Mar 7, 2005, 07:41 PM   #11
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrldwzrd89

Actually I suspect Apple is waiting to find out which one will be the standard before they gear up for it.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers