Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 7, 2005, 04:48 PM   #1
Reeves
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Virginia
Send a message via AIM to Reeves
Blu-Ray

Has anyone heard of this thing called "Blu-Ray"? Apperently they are making dual-layered discs that hold up to 54GB! These machines are due out in 2006/2007. I'm quite intrested in it, does anyone think Macs will get BD-Rom, BD-R, and BD-RW drives. I hope so because this looks impressive.
www.blu-ray.com
__________________
[Made The Switch On December 24, 2004!]
12' iBook G4, 1.2 Ghz, 80GB HD, 512 MB, OS 10.3.8
3G 20 GB iPod (Waiting For The 5G)

Last edited by Reeves; Mar 7, 2005 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Wrong link...
Reeves is offline   0
Old Mar 7, 2005, 05:10 PM   #2
superbovine
macrumors 68030
 
superbovine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves
Has anyone heard of this thing called "Blu-Ray"? Apperently they are making dual-layered discs that hold up to 54GB! These machines are due out in 2006/2007. I'm quite intrested in it, does anyone think Macs will get BD-Rom, BD-R, and BD-RW drives. I hope so because this looks impressive.
www.blu-ray.com
yeah your behide on things.
superbovine is offline   0
Old Mar 7, 2005, 05:13 PM   #3
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
More info

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=84793

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=75486
Blue Velvet is offline   0
Old Mar 7, 2005, 05:13 PM   #4
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601
 
BornAgainMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Florida Resident
Steve mentioned Blu-Ray along with another standard for the next generation DVD at the last keynote. Apple will probably choose a standard within 6 months to a year. I am surprised it has taken so long to take off. I wonder if the unit price for a Blu-Ray drive is still too high for even $3,000 PC/Mac.
BornAgainMac is offline   0
Old Mar 7, 2005, 05:21 PM   #5
GFLPraxis
macrumors 604
 
GFLPraxis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves
Has anyone heard of this thing called "Blu-Ray"? Apperently they are making dual-layered discs that hold up to 54GB! These machines are due out in 2006/2007. I'm quite intrested in it, does anyone think Macs will get BD-Rom, BD-R, and BD-RW drives. I hope so because this looks impressive.
www.blu-ray.com

Well, it's a tough one.

There are two competing standards, HD-DVD and Blu-Ray.

One of them will probably at some point be ratified as the standard for next-generation DVDs.

Blu-ray is owned SOLELY by Sony, while HD-DVD is owned by several companies.

It's very similar to Betamax vs VHS.

Blu-ray has higher capacity (54 GB on a dual layer disk, vs 30 GB on a dual layer HD-DVD), but HD-DVD is FAR cheaper to produce since they can be produced at current DVD production factories.

I think HD-DVD will probably win out, since a lot of people don't want Sony to have complete control of the standard, and its cheaper as well.
GFLPraxis is offline   0
Old Mar 7, 2005, 05:42 PM   #6
qzak
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
one thing that got me when looking at which mac to get last week was how none of them come with dual layer dvd burners. it just seems like something i thought apple would be ahead of, but they're only up to 8x single layer right now, and that was just upgraded. i mean u can get a dual layer burner for less than 100 bucks now.

i was just suprised they're just at 8x single layer considering all the video editing and stuff people do on macs.
qzak is offline   0
Old Mar 7, 2005, 05:58 PM   #7
BakedBeans
Banned
 
BakedBeans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: What's Your Favorite Posish
Quote:
Originally Posted by qzak
one thing that got me when looking at which mac to get last week was how none of them come with dual layer dvd burners. it just seems like something i thought apple would be ahead of, but they're only up to 8x single layer right now, and that was just upgraded. i mean u can get a dual layer burner for less than 100 bucks now.

i was just suprised they're just at 8x single layer considering all the video editing and stuff people do on macs.
yep, add to that the fact that they cant even put a top o the line gpu in there 2kGBP powermac, well its pretty dire
BakedBeans is offline   0
Old Mar 7, 2005, 06:25 PM   #8
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4
 
wrldwzrd89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Solon, OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by qzak
one thing that got me when looking at which mac to get last week was how none of them come with dual layer dvd burners. it just seems like something i thought apple would be ahead of, but they're only up to 8x single layer right now, and that was just upgraded. i mean u can get a dual layer burner for less than 100 bucks now.

i was just suprised they're just at 8x single layer considering all the video editing and stuff people do on macs.
There's a simple reason for this. Can you find dual-layer DVD media as easily as you say you can find dual-layer drives? Thought not.

Blu-ray/HD-DVD hasn't made it to Macs yet for the exact same reason.
__________________
iMac Intel (Rev H, 27"), 1TB HDD, 16GB RAM, 10.8.4
wrldwzrd89 is offline   0
Old Mar 7, 2005, 06:45 PM   #9
qzak
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrldwzrd89
There's a simple reason for this. Can you find dual-layer DVD media as easily as you say you can find dual-layer drives? Thought not.

Blu-ray/HD-DVD hasn't made it to Macs yet for the exact same reason.

you could find 8x media easily for awhile before apple put upgraded, and u can easily find media faster than 8x now. and yes, i happen to be able to find dual layer media no problem. it costs more yes, but i can find it no problem.
qzak is offline   0
Old Mar 7, 2005, 07:22 PM   #10
absolutmp5
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
you have to understand mac though doing a huge community service as a viable option against windows it is a buisness. Product placement and milking their products for all their worth is the most important aspect of how apple operates. besides dual layer buring will definetly be in the new powermacs when the revision, its just something to add for marketing
absolutmp5 is offline   0
Old Mar 7, 2005, 07:41 PM   #11
Bear
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sol III - Terra
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrldwzrd89
There's a simple reason for this. Can you find dual-layer DVD media as easily as you say you can find dual-layer drives? Thought not.

Blu-ray/HD-DVD hasn't made it to Macs yet for the exact same reason.
Actually I suspect Apple is waiting to find out which one will be the standard before they gear up for it.
__________________
-----Bear
Bear is offline   0


 
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blu-Ray for MacBook Pros - Finally, a 9.5mm Slot-Load Blu-Ray Drive! Prodo123 MacBook Pro 72 Sep 15, 2013 10:17 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC