Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

russianmob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2011
And,,, aside from SB, what is the max SSD available in the projected new 11" in June? Still max 128GB/4GB RAM? If larger projected in June, reason alone to wait.

Psilocybin

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Depends on the price they want to sell it for

russianmob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2011
Will bigger SSD/RAM be available in June for 11" MBA?
right now it's 128GB/4GB... if it will be more, I'd consider waiting.. thanks!

retrorichie

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2011
I would pay an extra $300 or so for a 512 option. 256 vs 512 is the difference between the Air having the ability to be my primary computer (and I'm really pulling for this). If I can't get 512, I guess I will have to look into some cloud storage alternative or something before I can pull the trigger.

Psilocybin

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I would pay an extra $300 or so for a 512 option. 256 vs 512 is the difference between the Air having the ability to be my primary computer (and I'm really pulling for this). If I can't get 512, I guess I will have to look into some cloud storage alternative or something before I can pull the trigger.

Well if you use MobileMe you can get extra cloud space. Dropbox can also add extra cloud space or you can get yourself a nas

russianmob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 25, 2011
Cloud storage is great but i have tons of files I need local in my apps. This is why I'm on the fence about returning my 11" and getting new in June with a bigger drive (if it is going to be available). 13" not an option, love the portability of 11". Anyone hear anything about how much SSD will be available in the refresh in June?

jlblodgett

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2008
Who says the MBA is going to get refreshed in June, anyway?

The MBA hard drive space is pretty much exactly the same as it was 3 years ago. 128 SSD.

I would not expect an increase until SSD prices drop significantly. The 256 SSD model is already $1599 -- so a larger sized drive is going to drive up costs significantly.

TrollToddington

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
256GB ~ £330, 512GB ~£850, the difference is about £500 which is quite a lot, say twice or three times, more than $300.

fyrefly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2004

The same guy who correctly predicted the SB-equipped 13" 2011 MBP and the guy who correctly predicted 2010 11" MBA.

The MBA hard drive space is pretty much exactly the same as it was 3 years ago. 128 SSD.

I would not expect an increase until SSD prices drop significantly. The 256 SSD model is already $1599 -- so a larger sized drive is going to drive up costs significantly.

SSD Prices are dropping, but you're right that I'm not sure if they've dropped enough for Apple to bump the $999 base-model 11" to 128gb.

If the OP was asking what'll *fit*, OWC has up to 360GB. But it'll cost you more than the 11" Air Costs. ;)

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Aura_Pro_Express

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
SSD Prices are dropping, but you're right that I'm not sure if they've dropped enough for Apple to bump the $999 base-model 11" to 128gb.

If the OP was asking what'll *fit*, OWC has up to 360GB. But it'll cost you more than the 11" Air Costs. ;)

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Aura_Pro_Express
Thanks for the link. SSD and flash storage are still so expensive, they are luxury items in anybody's book. As you point out, OWC's 360GB flash storage module for the MBA costs several hundred dollars more than the price of an entry level 11 inch MBA. That kind of storage is clearly the wave of the future but it's still too expensive for most mortals, it seems to me.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Upgrades to both may be required

While I would really like to have the option to get a 256G SSD in the 11.6" MBA update, I highly doubt that Apple would release this option for the 11.6" MBA unless they were able to also provide a 512G for the 13.3" MBA. I suspect that it is probably is pretty important from Apple's perspective to differentiate between the two MBA versions in terms of their storage capabilities.

Looking at it from that perspective, I don't see the SSD sizes changing in a possible June 2011 update. I sadly suspect that that type of an update is something that we won't see until in 2012 (with Ivy Bridge?)

If I can stomach the GPU downgrade we are forced to take with SB and there is a backlit keyboard I will be will tempted to upgrade come June. If there was also a 256G option for the 11.6" MBA, I'd upgrade without needing to think about it. :)

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
Sorry I replied in the wrong topic first.

But to be on-topic: I don't expect the SSD size to increase, NAND prices haven't dropped at all apparently so it would be too expensive for Apple to bump them. But maybe the 256GB as a (very expensive) option on the 11", people have already proven that the Apple-branded 256 GB SSD will fit in the 11".

RAM: I think the 4GB BTO option is very popular so it's probably a nice cash cow for them, I'd expect the next one to be 2GB standard still. I can't imagine an 8GB option.

Last edited:

retrorichie

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2011
256GB ~ £330, 512GB ~£850, the difference is about £500 which is quite a lot, say twice or three times, more than $300.

What you pay as a consumer and what Apple pays to their supply chain as the largest global consumer of these items is not comparable.

mutsaers-vr.nl

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
The Netherlands
Gekkeprutser : are you Dutch ?

Sorry I replied in the wrong topic first.

But to be on-topic: I don't expect the SSD size to increase, NAND prices haven't dropped at all apparently so it would be too expensive for Apple to bump them. But maybe the 256GB as a (very expensive) option on the 11", people have already proven that the Apple-branded 256 GB SSD will fit in the 11".

RAM: I think the 4GB BTO option is very popular so it's probably a nice cash cow for them, I'd expect the next one to be 2GB standard still. I can't imagine an 8GB option.

Ridley

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2011

I saw the reply already given, but thought I'd add the latest from apple insider, as of April 22nd http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/04/22/apple_to_begin_production_of_thunderbolt_macbook_airs_next_month.html

Anyway I wrote on here before that I suspect the MBA has excellent margins for apple right now... much better than MBPs. People commented that Apple is getting the C2D chips for very cheap! If the prices are going to stay the same, I wouldn't expect a significant increase in other features. I'd love to be wrong though and get a backlite keyboard, 4 gigs ram standard, 128 gig SSD standard, SB processor, thunderbolt, 3G antenna, SD card reader, and HD camera for $999 in an 11 inch air! haha

retrorichie

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2011
It's true but it does not disprove my point.

Depending on where you look the price difference between a ~250 GB SSD to a ~500 GB SSD can be as little as $400 to the end consumer. All I'm saying is that if 6 months ago the Apple pricing to go from 128 to 256 was $300, it stands to reason that with their purchasing power six months later they could offer a 512 drive for another $300 jump. I am not trying to imply that this is in any way a given, but it would certainly make the Air a much more attractive machine and I'm sure Apple knows this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.