Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
Weird, frustrating problem with integer math. I have a 64 bit integer variable that I am trying to use to scan through a file (file position offset value) that simply will not play nice with 32 bit values. No matter what I do, I just cannot alter it, it will not accept any values other than constants. I tried turning on "Use 64 bit math" in the build setting, to no avail. Is there some kind of conversion I need to do to get it to accept other values?

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
Post some code. Are you trying to initialize with a large integer? Are you setting your offset with some math? Are you using an off64_t, long int, something else? Are you using functions that accept this big type?

-Lee

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
Its primary use is in the NSFileHandle method -seekToOffset: which calls for a unsigned long long. Nothing will affect the variable other than a constant. For example,

Code:
int recordAdjust;
long long fileOffset;
   recordAdjust = calcRecordSize( currentRecord );
   fileOffset += recordAdjust;
has no effect on the value of fileOffset. I tried UInt64 and SInt64 and the aforementioned compiler flag (debug mode on a G5, for native architecture, compiling with the 10.4 SDK), nothing will penetrate the variable. I dragged all my sources to a new project, in hopes that perhaps the project file itself was corrupted. Still the variable remains obstinate.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
For example,

Code:
int recordAdjust;
long long fileOffset;
   recordAdjust = calcRecordSize( currentRecord );
has no effect on the value of fileOffset.

Explain how you know it has no effect on the value of fileOffset.

Off the top of my head, I suggest making a simple single-file command-line main() function that demonstrates the problem, and can be compiled with a simple gcc example.c command. Post it.

Try compiling for 32-bit G4 and see if anything changes.

Also, identify what the OS and Xcode versions are.

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
I threw this together:
Code:
#include <stdio.h>

int calcRecordSize(int);

int main(int argc, char *argv) {
	long long fileOffset = 8000000000LL;
	int recordAdjust = 0;
	while(fileOffset <= 8000000080LL) {
		recordAdjust = calcRecordSize(7);
		printf("This time fileOffset is %lld\n",fileOffset);
	}
}

int calcRecordSize(int something) {
	return something;
}

Worked A-OK and printed what i expected:
This time fileOffset is 8000000007
This time fileOffset is 8000000014
This time fileOffset is 8000000021
This time fileOffset is 8000000028
This time fileOffset is 8000000035
This time fileOffset is 8000000042
This time fileOffset is 8000000049
This time fileOffset is 8000000056
This time fileOffset is 8000000063
This time fileOffset is 8000000070
This time fileOffset is 8000000077
This time fileOffset is 8000000084

I'm on a different platform, but I don't really think that's the problem. In your second post you said "aforementioned flag" but you hadn't mentioned a flag as far as i know, so telling us what that is might be helpful.

-Lee

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Are you sure the build you're running is the correct one?

How are you examining the value of fileOffset? Xcode's debugger seems to often show wrong values or nothing at all. If using logging, make sure you're using the right format specifiers.

It's probably one of those bugs that you stare at all day, then come back to it the next and the answer is sitting right in front of you :)

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
I fear I may be experiencing some kind of debugger bug, because when I set it to show disassembly, step through that and then examine the memory location that holds the value, I see a non-zero value where the debugger is showing a zero.

Since PPC is big-endian, a 64-bit variable read as a 32-bit value will show the high-order half of the variable, which is almost always going to be zero in tests like this (otherwise, I would have to be working with a very large test file). If this really is a genuine bug, oh well, not like Apple will be addressing it.

I am running 3.1.2 on 10.5.8, but now I am downloading 3.2.6, which hopefully will not have this obscure problem. It is irritating to have a blind-spot when debugging.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Weird, frustrating problem with integer math. I have a 64 bit integer variable that I am trying to use to scan through a file (file position offset value) that simply will not play nice with 32 bit values. No matter what I do, I just cannot alter it, it will not accept any values other than constants. I tried turning on "Use 64 bit math" in the build setting, to no avail. Is there some kind of conversion I need to do to get it to accept other values?

Step back, take a deep breath, and follow the first rule in debugging: There is nothing strange going on, just _you_ made a mistake in _your_ code, and you need to find the problem in _your_ code. Did you turn all useful warnings on? Could you have two variables with the same name?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.