Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 26, 2011, 01:32 AM   #1
rumorsmac
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Does an IPad need virus protection?

I updated my iPad I feel like it's running slower now.... Are you supposed to have anti virus protection and if so what do you recommend?
__________________
safe eyes coupon
rumorsmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2011, 01:33 AM   #2
upinflames900
macrumors 6502a
 
upinflames900's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
No... I would try updates or complete restore... you don't have a virus
__________________
It may be just a fruit, but at least it works
upinflames900 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2011, 03:16 AM   #3
btbrossard
macrumors 6502a
 
btbrossard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chicagoland
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumorsmac View Post
I updated my iPad I feel like it's running slower now.... Are you supposed to have anti virus protection and if so what do you recommend?
I hear if you buy a retail copy of Norton and keep the iPad inside the Norton box, you're fully protected.
btbrossard is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2011, 04:40 AM   #4
NZed
macrumors 65816
 
NZed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada, Eh?
The only way you can get an iPad virus right now is that you dont update your firmware and by jailbreaking it and then like 1 in a billion chance, you download something from cydia and you get infected!

The virus that rumored to exist is actually an iPhone virus that infects iPad because it runs the same iOS.

So no, no viruses. Restore. Or maybe the current iPad firmware has issues/bugs(I dont know cos i dont have one)...
NZed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2011, 08:39 AM   #5
sinsin07
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Yes. Kleenex
sinsin07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:18 PM   #6
donaldcarter55
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumorsmac View Post
I updated my iPad I feel like it's running slower now.... Are you supposed to have anti virus protection and if so what do you recommend?
No, no it doesn't.

It's not impossible for someone to create a virus for the iPad, and if you jailbreak and aren't careful (like leaving your SSH password as "alpine"), it's possible you can get infected. However, an iPad is so heavily locked down that especially if you don't jailbreak, there's incredibly little a virus can do. It also won't get allowed past the App Store verification process.

It's also possible to get a virus on a Mac. Hell, it's POSSIBLE to get one on Linux! The difference is, virus coders know that Windows is by far the most widely used operating system, and it's also the easiest to crack. So, that means they'll get more infections for less work, sounds like a perfect target to me.


I'm a programmer, have owned iOS devices, and have written experimental malicious code for all three desktop platforms and mobile systems too. (note I didn't release them!)
donaldcarter55 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:26 PM   #7
yetanotherdave
macrumors 68000
 
yetanotherdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bristol, England
Send a message via AIM to yetanotherdave Send a message via MSN to yetanotherdave Send a message via Yahoo to yetanotherdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldcarter55 View Post
It's also possible to get a virus on a Mac. Hell, it's POSSIBLE to get one on Linux! The difference is, virus coders know that Windows is by far the most widely used operating system, and it's also the easiest to crack. So, that means they'll get more infections for less work, sounds like a perfect target to me.
This is simply not true.

To date there are ZERO virus' for OS X (not sure about linux). None. Not one. Never have been.
This is not because of lesser market share. People have tried and failed. Prizes of tens of thousands of dollars have been offered. And not collected. The huge "internet legend" status of someone who managed to write the first OS X virus would be more than enough motivation for some, and for those that hate OS X just because would love to acheive this.
This is before you look at the anti virus companies, who would LOVE there to be a geniune OS X virus so they can sell their software. They often come out with proof of concept vulnerabilities, but never a proof of concept virus.

Saying that no one is targetting OS X because Windows is a larger target is like saying no one will try and steal my Honda if there's a Ferrari parked next to it.
__________________
It's just a ride, & we can change it anytime we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings & money. A choice, right now, between fear and love. - Bill Hicks
yetanotherdave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:33 PM   #8
maclaptop
macrumors 65816
 
maclaptop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Western Hemisphere
Nothing to worry about, just enjoy it.
maclaptop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2011, 11:45 PM   #9
Blue Fox
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
That's the nice thing about a "walled-garden" ecosystem that Apple has created with the iOS devices. The App Store is pretty much the filter for anything malicious getting into the iOS ecosystem. I'd think you would be better off winning the lottery......twice......than running into a true malicious virus on an iOS device.

Not to mention, I don't even think an antivirus for iPad even exists.
__________________
27" i7 iMac w/SSD | 32 GB iPhone 5 | 120 GB iPod Classic | 13" MacBook Pro w/SSD
Blue Fox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2011, 12:11 AM   #10
NZed
macrumors 65816
 
NZed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada, Eh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yetanotherdave View Post
This is simply not true.

To date there are ZERO virus' for OS X (not sure about linux). None. Not one. Never have been.
This is not because of lesser market share. People have tried and failed. Prizes of tens of thousands of dollars have been offered. And not collected. The huge "internet legend" status of someone who managed to write the first OS X virus would be more than enough motivation for some, and for those that hate OS X just because would love to acheive this.
This is before you look at the anti virus companies, who would LOVE there to be a geniune OS X virus so they can sell their software. They often come out with proof of concept vulnerabilities, but never a proof of concept virus.

Saying that no one is targetting OS X because Windows is a larger target is like saying no one will try and steal my Honda if there's a Ferrari parked next to it.
The bolded sentence is false!!!!!!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-9905095-37.html

http://www.informationweek.com/news/207000434

There is NO viruses for OSX but there are trojans that exists in the wild.

Oh and never ever compare OSX to a Honda. OSX is like... a fully customized Rolls Royce but people just wouldnt steal it because its like a painting, it'll be recognized anywhere(As if the OSX is hacked but apple quickly released an update or security update to kill it right away)!
NZed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2011, 01:15 AM   #11
alphaod
macrumors Core
 
alphaod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 上海 (Shanghai)
The iPad isn't even a full computer.

Quite frankly, you can't do much on the iPad outside of it's limited functions.
__________________
Mac Pro | iMac | Mac mini | MacBook Pro | MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod
alphaod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2011, 01:54 AM   #12
yetanotherdave
macrumors 68000
 
yetanotherdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bristol, England
Send a message via AIM to yetanotherdave Send a message via MSN to yetanotherdave Send a message via Yahoo to yetanotherdave
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZed View Post
The bolded sentence is false!!!!!!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-9905095-37.html

http://www.informationweek.com/news/207000434

There is NO viruses for OSX but there are trojans that exists in the wild.

Oh and never ever compare OSX to a Honda. OSX is like... a fully customized Rolls Royce but people just wouldnt steal it because its like a painting, it'll be recognized anywhere(As if the OSX is hacked but apple quickly released an update or security update to kill it right away)!
A trojan is not the same as a virus. A virus is self replicating, self spreading and self executing, without user interaction. A trojan is simply a malicious piece of software that the user has to actively install. HUGE difference. Most OS X trojans require that the user input the admin password!

My point with the car analogy is that while the Ferrari represents a bigger payout[1], no car their will ignore a lesser valued car[2], especially if it doesn't have an immobiliser[3].

[1] window. larger market share.
[2] os x. smaller market share therefore smaller perceived payout from hacking.
[3] anti virus. os x people don't run it, most windows users do.
__________________
It's just a ride, & we can change it anytime we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings & money. A choice, right now, between fear and love. - Bill Hicks
yetanotherdave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2011, 04:22 AM   #13
NZed
macrumors 65816
 
NZed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada, Eh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yetanotherdave View Post
A trojan is not the same as a virus. A virus is self replicating, self spreading and self executing, without user interaction. A trojan is simply a malicious piece of software that the user has to actively install. HUGE difference. Most OS X trojans require that the user input the admin password!

My point with the car analogy is that while the Ferrari represents a bigger payout[1], no car their will ignore a lesser valued car[2], especially if it doesn't have an immobiliser[3].

[1] window. larger market share.
[2] os x. smaller market share therefore smaller perceived payout from hacking.
[3] anti virus. os x people don't run it, most windows users do.
I didnt say anywhere that a trojan is the same as a virus, i was just informing the OP that although Viruses doesnt exists for OSX, trojans do

And for the car part nvm, i get your point.
NZed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2011, 09:19 AM   #14
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by yetanotherdave View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldcarter55 View Post
It's also possible to get a virus on a Mac.
This is simply not true.
I think there's some confusion here. It IS possible to get a virus on a Mac, because Mac OS X, like every other OS, is not immune to malware. However, it's not possible to get a virus on Mac OS X at this time, since none exist. If one were to be released into the wild, it would be possible for Macs to be infected. This was true with Mac OS before OS X, and it will most likely be true again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yetanotherdave View Post
[1] window. larger market share.
[2] os x. smaller market share therefore smaller perceived payout from hacking.
[3] anti virus. os x people don't run it, most windows users do.
The market share myth is exactly that: a myth. Read a few of the existing threads on Mac malware and you'll see it proven false.

There has never been a virus in the wild that affects Mac OS X since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some education and common sense and care in what software you install:
Mac Virus/Malware Info
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2011, 01:24 AM   #15
iKingsley86
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by upinflames900 View Post
No... I would try updates or complete restore... you don't have a virus
100% Agree!
__________________
Tech for fun.
iKingsley86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2011, 02:34 AM   #16
photolover
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
well.....

i think you should think of this question after your ipad really get viruses
photolover is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Most Unobtrusive Virus Protection s15119 Mac Applications and Mac App Store 17 Feb 28, 2014 05:25 PM
Anti-Virus protection for Mac ? bandu.gunaratne MacBook Pro 3 Dec 10, 2013 11:19 AM
Virus protection for iMac? neilbey Mac Basics and Help 1 Mar 6, 2013 06:21 PM
Bootcamp virus protection Washac Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac 4 Jan 14, 2013 03:02 AM
Do I need any Virus or Malwhare protection? 420benz iMac 13 Jun 3, 2012 01:57 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:20 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC