Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DonKon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
Hi, i am new to Nas and need some help with xbmc on atv 2.

I have the Netgear wndr3700 v2 router, Apple tv 2 JB'd and a WD Elements 2tb drive. I have xbmc install on the apple tv 2 already. I am also on windows 7 64x

I plug the hard drive in and it adds without problems with the router. The problem i have is how to setup it so it works in Xbmc. I was told to do SMB since i want to stream 1080p mkvs through xbmc and my hard drive. I tried searching google but havent found any good info for a newb like myself.

I hope someone can help me step by step as how to get xbmc to detect the ReadyShare drive so i can access movies and media files.

Also do i have to have xbmc on my pc for it to work with xbmc on apple tv??

Thanks in advance

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2009
The easiest way to get this to work is to first try it in your Mac/PC. Much quicker since you have a keyboard.

Also, were exactly are you getting stuck? Have you selected the option to add and SMB Share?

As far as I know, something changed in the latest nightly builds that makes the whole process much easier, since now you can browse your disk from the XBMC menu, without having to add your NAS IP Address or disk name.

BTW, you need to have the latest nightly build to be able to play HD files.

DonKon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
I am trying to play media from my hard drive. The xbmc version i have is 10.0.0 which i downloaded from nitotv.
The problem i am having though is that i have absolutely no clue what step to take so that i can access my movies on hdd. I went into network settings on xbmc but under SMB i see 2 fields, one has workgroup and nothing else. So i have no clue what to do from there to achieve the connection.

eTip

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
I am trying to play media from my hard drive. The xbmc version i have is 10.0.0 which i downloaded from nitotv.
The problem i am having though is that i have absolutely no clue what step to take so that i can access my movies on hdd. I went into network settings on xbmc but under SMB i see 2 fields, one has workgroup and nothing else. So i have no clue what to do from there to achieve the connection.

In Music, Movies, Videos or TV Shows with Library Mode *off*, select "Add Source" then "Browse" then "Windows Network" to choose your share.

In my experience, there are two ways to learn your way around XBMC - experimenting or reading (or a combination of the two). Some good information here:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBMC_Quick_Start_Guide

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=38964

Coincidentally, I just ran across this guide. Check out "Setup the Sources" beginnig on P. 5
http://www.datafilehost.com/get.php?file=4cce8466

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.