Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
According to Powerpage, Apple has in the works a palmtop computer, or mini laptop.
Sources who claim to have see one have commented to the PowerPage that an internal planning spec details that the new machines runs a stripped-down flavor of Mac OS X. We're told that it will finally utilize Apple's Inkwell technology to "write anywhere" and neatly fold into your pocket - rather like an enlarged Motorola RAZR V3 mobile phone with a keyboard.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Seems highly unlikely... I think the time for those devices has come and gone, and won't return any time soon.

stoid

macrumors 601
AirUncleP said:
Is Inkwell used anywhere else?

I recently purchased a graphics tablet, and when it's plugged in, I have the option of enabling Inkwell. Of course, at a desk with a keyboard, it's much easier just to type, especially because Inkwell is not too easy to use (though easier than the standard Palm text squigglies).

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2003
England
iWalk? iNewton? iBook Mini? Mini Book?

Pffffft I don't have any enthusiasm for this 'rumor' what so ever.

bosrs1

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2005
I'm torn on this news. On one hand I think it's a cool idea. I've always liked PDAs and their potential, espeically if you combine this with Apple's newfound love of Motorola.... :)

However these devices aren't nearly as hot as they used to be. However Blackberries are doing well so maybe it's a variation on that theme?

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
PowerPage has a history of putting bogus leads up to drive traffic to the site. As much as I would love to have a pocket-sized Mac it ain't gonna happen.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I had a palm ( visor neo) and a pocket pc,(toshiba 7 something) both of them last about 2 months before i just gave up.... their nice but on the pee-cee side of it it stinks. if i had in on my mac and had it sync with ical that would be nice, but i don't have loads of stuff in ical either.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
I think that the palmtop computer has always been an idea ahead of the available tech, starting with the Newton and right on through the current offerings. I've been using a Palm for years. They are handy, but I always think that they don't quite do enough, or that the unit is too dang clunky for what it does. Not quite right.
I would love for someone to put a powerful device into a small package. Frankly, I'm excited about the PSP. While I'll mostly use it for games, I can see how the WiFi capabilities, along with the leaked news of web browser, email, and Office-type apps, would make it convenient in places where a laptop is cumbersome. Add in the ability to listen to some tunes and watch movies, and all it won't do is make phone calls...yet. Not saying the PSP is the answer, but perhaps it's success in areas beyond games will inspire others, like Apple, to push the boundaries.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I love my BlackBerry, but for it's communication abilities, not for it's PDA capabilities. If this is basically a palm with OS X, I (probably) won't be interested. But if it comes with communication capabilities, similar to the BlackBerry... I'll be all over it like white on rice.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Raven VII said:
I love my BlackBerry, but for it's communication abilities, not for it's PDA capabilities. If this is basically a palm with OS X, I (probably) won't be interested. But if it comes with communication capabilities, similar to the BlackBerry... I'll be all over it like white on rice.

I love the blackberry. My dad has one for work. its such a great way to get in touch with him. but the PDA aspect is so-so.

Anyone like the Treo by palm. it seems cool, but a bit big and won't sync with .mac mail

yossele

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2003
Bobov
sure, they need one, it has to fit the line.
iPod mini - Mac mini - Book mini!

they need to add a PowerPod though

Yonizzle

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2005
Durham, NC
Page 2 indeed..

Has PowerPage gotten anything right in the last 3 years? 5 years? Doesn't seem worthwhile posting anything from them without another source..

MacPhreak

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2004
Lexington, KY
It's the rumor that just won't die.

While I'd love to see another Newton, I really doubt this is true. The handheld market has gotten cold recently, as evidenced by Sony's withdrawal. Steve has already said 'no' (wasn't it last summer at some sort of conference where a reporter asked him about an Apple PDA?). And last but not least, the Newton was one of the first things, if not the first, that SJ killed off after returning to Apple. I don't see him with too much enthusiasm for a Newton-like device.

I've got a few more points, but this has been hashed and re-hashed so many times, I'll quit now.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Why a palmtop Mac would be useful

I don't believe it. There COULD well be such a thing in the labs, but I bet it stays there. It will be a long time before a really GOOD device could be made at the right price. (Maybe someday.)

That said, I'd buy some kind of pocket Mac for sure, at the right price :) And not just because it would be fun and cool. It would be USEFUL.

Something small but able to do anything JUST IN CASE you need it. Sometimes you leave the house knowing you'll probably need to do some heavy-duty computing--editing photos, building web pages, 3D rendering, video effects, writing a paper, etc. So when you know you'll need a FULL-size laptop, you can take one with you! But what about the other times, when you expect you're less likely to need those things--and therefore wouldn't bother lugging any full laptop? Then what happens when you unexpectedly need--or want--your files? Your apps? Your email? Your games? Your client proposals? Your vacation photos? What if you suddenly need to check movie times, retrieve email, or look at the weather via your cell-phone and Bluetooth Internet? Or play a WiFi LAN game of UTX from sheer boredom? What if you need to make a little change in Photoshop or Final Cut, and not have to drive to the office?

With a palmtop Mac, IF something comes up, you can do what you need to do. The small screen may not be ideal, but it will get the job done--instead of leaving you with nothing.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
TMA said:
iWalk? iNewton? iBook Mini? Mini Book?

Pffffft I don't have any enthusiasm for this 'rumor' what so ever.

I think iBook Mini hits the nail on the head, since as the article pointed out it goes with their "Mini" theme. I think they should market it as a sub-notebook though, not as a PDA. Hmm...maybe they revive the G3 or use some other low-power Moto chip?

I picture something like this:

low-power G3 running at 800MHz (gotta have at least 5 or 6 hours battery life)
6" to 8" Widescreen Display (touchscreen). At least 640 pixels wide.
Full qwerty keyboard
1 or 2 USB ports (possibly also FireWire)
Bluetooth and Wi-Fi enabled (same setup as Mac mini)
1.8" Hard drive at 20GB or 40GB
1 RAM slot, up to 1GB (laptop memory)
small external video connector (same as iBooks)
not sure about video card, but something with 32MB VRAM and ability to run full-fledged OSX and drive and
NO optical drive
Under 2lbs. weight

Omitting the optical drive and using a 1.8" hard drive will allow the unit to be quite a bit smaller than he Mac Mini. As with the iPod mini when it first came out, it would not be that much cheaper than the cheapest iBook. (especially considering the expensive hardware like touchscreen and 1.8" drive). So maybe something like this could sell for $800 initially?

As with the iPod mini, I think there would definitely be a market for it. It would be the size of a small paperback book so we're talking a whole new level of portability. It could be marketed to students or mobile professionals that just need a machine to take notes, edit documents, surf the web, send email, etc. And the bluetooth and external display connector mean that you can use it as a full-fledged computer at your desk at your dormroom or office.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
PDAs are a thing of the past, a dying breed. I hope apple do not go down this blind alley.

Smartphones are the replacement now.

dhns

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2003
Germany
Yonizzle said:
Has PowerPage gotten anything right in the last 3 years? 5 years? Doesn't seem worthwhile posting anything from them without another source.
As this comes from the "EU Bureau" they might have misinterpreted as rumor our real project which aims at exactly what they tell: http://www.dsitri.de/wiki.php?page=QuantumSTEP - but we are not related to Apple - just Mac-Enthusiasts.

And we are doing that only because we believe that there *is* still a demand for devices compatible to MacOS X not only in look and feel (as theming would provide) but also in API, data formats, way of handling things. E.g. what about copying the address book or calendar files to the handheld device by drag&drop and simply use them? No worry about Syncing?

-- hns
http://www.dsitri.de

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
If it were something similar to the Palm Pilot, would make some sense. It would seem that they could go with a version of the iPod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.