Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

133353-ipad_2_japan_500.jpg

Nikkei reports that the iPad 2 will finally debut in Japan on Thursday, April 28th. The launch comes a month later than originally planned due to the earthquake and tsunami that devastated significant parts of the country. The news comes by way of CNNGo:That veritable font of all knowledge, the Nikkei Shimbun newspaper, says the shiny lust-bauble will hit Japanese stores in stealth mode, more than a month after the scheduled March 25 launch-date.Beyond the original announcement of delay, Apple has not officially announced the ship date for the iPad 2 in Japan.

This week should be a busy week for Apple as they are believed to be launching the white iPhone 4 to multiple countries on Wednesday.

Update: The White iPhone 4 is apparently also making its way to Japan on the same date, April 28th. A reader sent in this picture taken at a Softbank store, which lists the 4/28 date as the start of sales:

062058-whiteiphone.jpg

Article Link: iPad 2 and White iPhone 4 Launching in Japan on Thursday

kfury77

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2007
Osaka, Japan
YES! So excited. Been waiting for this for a long, long time. I will be queuing outside the Apple Store, Shinsaibashi, Osaka tomorrow for a black 32GB. woohoo!

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4 (32GB, JB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's about time.

Aodh

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2011
Not that I'm complaining (I'm here in Tokyo), but tomorrow, and we're only finding out today? And the website still doesn't have a date? Seems a little strange to come out of no-where with the source being one newspaper and not apple it seems.

johnsmith84

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2010
I may be wrong but...

this is not very likely. Golden week - a week long holiday - starts on the 29th. I really doubt that Apple would choose the start of this vacation to launch a new product.

Aodh

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2011
this is not very likely. Golden week - a week long holiday - starts on the 29th. I really doubt that Apple would choose the start of this vacation to launch a new product.

Well, back when they launched the last batch outside the US, they said they would launch in Hong Kong, Korea and a few other countries next month, but they still haven't notified them either AFAIK. Would be nice, but a little strange. As for the holiday, the only way I see this to be true is if they have the attitude of 'oh yeah, it's out now if you notice'.

nishioka

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
Seems like you'd want a little bit more fanfare than that. I was in Sapporo last year when the first iPad was scheduled to launch, and you couldn't go near a Softbank, Bic Camera, or (obviously) the Apple Store without seeing signs and banners proclaiming its arrival. Maybe this is some new marketing ploy.

Thoby

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2011
iPad 2 Singapore

Any inside info on when iPad 2 will be launched in Singapore. It is suppose to be this week..but no news on the launch date yet, and April is ending

johnsmith84

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2010
Well, back when they launched the last batch outside the US, they said they would launch in Hong Kong, Korea and a few other countries next month, but they still haven't notified them either AFAIK. Would be nice, but a little strange. As for the holiday, the only way I see this to be true is if they have the attitude of 'oh yeah, it's out now if you notice'.

Golden week is a big holiday here. Everyone goes back to their hometown or on vacation. The roads are crazy - 4 or 5 hour traffic jams are the norm and the trains and planes are booked months in advance. Kinda like a mini Christmas without the presents. I really can not see them launching during this holiday.

Edit: From Wikipedia

Golden Week - Golden Week is the longest vacation period of the year for many Japanese jobs... Golden Week is an extremely popular time to travel. Flights, trains, and hotels are often fully booked despite significantly higher rates at this time. Popular foreign destinations in Asia, Guam, Saipan, Hawaii, and major cities on the west coast of North America, such as Los Angeles, Seattle, San Diego, San Francisco, and Vancouver, as well as in Europe and Australia, are affected during these seasons by huge numbers of Japanese tourists

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yatta yatta !!!
Too bad I'm right now in a more remote area far away from any Apple Store or Yodobashi. Need to wait until Sunday ! Guys, let me one over; please ...

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
updated the story.

White iPhone 4 apparently also launching on April 28th.

062058-whiteiphone.jpg

dacapo

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2010
updated the story.

This will probably sell like hotcakes compared to the black iPhone 4, since most people that I saw in Tokyo seemed to have a strong preference for white mobile phones.

Aodh

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2011
Golden week is a big holiday here. Everyone goes back to their hometown or on vacation. The roads are crazy - 4 or 5 hour traffic jams are the norm and the trains and planes are booked months in advance. Kinda like a mini Christmas without the presents. I really can not see them launching during this holiday.

Edit: From Wikipedia

Golden Week - Golden Week is the longest vacation period of the year for many Japanese jobs... Golden Week is an extremely popular time to travel. Flights, trains, and hotels are often fully booked despite significantly higher rates at this time. Popular foreign destinations in Asia, Guam, Saipan, Hawaii, and major cities on the west coast of North America, such as Los Angeles, Seattle, San Diego, San Francisco, and Vancouver, as well as in Europe and Australia, are affected during these seasons by huge numbers of Japanese tourists

I live in Tokyo and have been here for 3.5 years so far, I know what the holiday means, and that's why I said Apple's attitude would have to be a carefree happenstance. I know they wouldn't delay in Japan only if they were launching tomorrow throughout the rest of Asia, no matter if there's a holiday or not. Tough on the workers who wanted to visit their families... They still haven't put the date on the website, but I guess we'll find out in less than 12h what's up.

Aodh

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2011
updated the story.

So... They make a big deal about the white iPhone and don't mention the iPad 2 at all? If you were working there, which would you advertise more? I wonder what's really up, also, it started raining in Tokyo and really windy. I'd feel sorry for anyone that lines up if it's not released.

tdstom

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2009
Pasadena, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

Well maybe Apple is just being sensitive. Considering some people are still without basic food and shelter they thought "hey let's not throw a $500 electronic device at them with our usual fanfare. Let's just quietly release it and see what happens".

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
This will probably sell like hotcakes compared to the black iPhone 4, since most people that I saw in Tokyo seemed to have a strong preference for white mobile phones.

And the iPhone 4s already were selling like hotcakes, no? :eek:

gorgeousninja

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2007
secret mountain retreat

mavis said:
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4 (32GB, JB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's about time.

Maybe you are in another Japan from the one I live in that had the major earthquake/tsunami/mutliple nuclear meltdowns that meant everyones attention was somewhat distracted....
After the delay this seems a bit sudden, but I'm more than happy to have some good news for a change.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.