Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

damitssam

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
My Iphone 4 top button is broke (actually stuck, won't push down) so its still covered by the one year warranty. I've already had 2 iphones replaced due to physical defects... Can you request a white iphone to swap as the replacement phone?

In previous times, could you swap the color of a defective product?

Thanks

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
I don't believe so, but there have been stories of people getting lucky.

Hans Brix

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Give it a try. Worst they can say is no. You'll still be walking out with a new iPhone either way.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
My screen is broken (not on purpose) and I think if I get a replacement (if I can't talk my way into a white) that I will sell the brand new replacement and get a white retail.

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

The only time they will give you a different color is if they are out if stock of the color you have. This has always been their policy.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
i love how everyone's telling the OP "no".

i've read threads on here over the years of people successfully swapping their 3G or 3GS from black->white or white->black.

i'm gonna say it all depends on the genius.

however, since the white iPhone just came out.. i highly doubt they'll be willing to swap out colours. had both came out at the same time, then i think it'd be a different story.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

i've read threads on here over the years of people successfully swapping their 3G or 3GS from black->white or white->black.

however, since the white iPhone just came out.. i highly doubt they'll be willing to swap out colours. had both came out at the same time, then i think it'd be a different story.

Care to share any of those threads that have successfully done this?:p

jfyrfytr25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008

^^^
this.

Their policy is that warranty exchanges are for the exact item you have. I'm sure exceptions are made. But, as he said, since the white was just released then I think it is gonna be difficult to get this done at this moment.

coooolwhip

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2011
Don't they usually give you a factory refurbished iphone if yours is broken? In that case there won't be any white refurbished ones yet. They won't let you change colors anyway.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Don't they usually give you a factory refurbished iphone if yours is broken? In that case there won't be any white refurbished ones yet. They won't let you change colors anyway.

In the case of a newly launched model, they keep a few brand new iphones in the white boxes for the purpose of warranty exchanges. I got a brand new 3GS as a replacement a week after I bought mine on launch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.