Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Old Apr 28, 2011, 12:02 AM   #1
sleepykidd
macrumors newbie

rubber bottom warped and falling off

I've got a Macbook 6,1 (late 2009 if I remember correctly) and the rubber bottom has been warping. At first it was just by the track pad, the bottom was a little bit extended but now it won't even fit on the laptop any more. Since the problem started I bought an M-cover to put over it but now that no longer fits on the bottom plate. What's going on here and what can I do? My warranty just expired this month and I hear that apple doesn't deal with cosmetic issues but I don't really want to carry my Macbook around without the bottom of it.

Any help guys? Thanks.
sleepykidd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2011, 04:49 AM   #2
blackburn
macrumors 6502a

It's a common issue, just do a search here. It happened to me and apple replaced it for free. About your warranty you could still try since it's a common defect.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 08:08 PM   #3
sleepykidd
macrumors newbie

Ok so at this point I just decided to take the rubber part off entirely. I have a m-cover on my Macbook so the metal bottom isn't directly touching the surface, and the m-cover comes with little feet so I have traction and the back end of the bottom is elevated. I'm hoping that this helps with heat issues.
sleepykidd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2011, 06:33 PM   #4
Blondie :)
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to Blondie :) Send a message via Skype™ to Blondie :)
I don't know how much this will help actually...the rubber case on bottom is actually reported by apple to dissipate heat. And so by taking that off, and leaving the m cover on, may actually cause the macbook to get warmer as the bottom won't have anything to transfer heat through. I don't know this for sure, but I have a feeling that's what will happen.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 07:16 PM   #5
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030

The rubber coming off is more than a cosmetic issue. It's a functional issue as well. While I can't guarantee it, I'm willing to bet that Apple will help you out here.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 04:25 AM   #6
Changen
macrumors member

Bought mine in feb of 2010. have had my bottom plate replaced three times. The last time I had it replaced it was out of warranty by a week the first genius I saw wanted to charge me $180 I think off the the top of my head so I held off tried again two days later and explained my problem to a different genius and he had it done free of charge. Mine always started to bubble right below the cd drive.
Changen is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook