Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vieh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2011
Hi guys! I own a MacBook Pro 2009 Alu Version (still Leopard) and a SanDisk cruzer micro 8 GB memory stick. Yesterday I had to give a presentation at uni, and it looks like I 'contracted' some sort of malware/virus from the uni's (Windows) computer, when I plugged in my USB stick. There's now a folder on there called ZLATO containing a file named 'suvo.exe'. I wasn't able to delete this the usual way and running Sophos confirmed my suspicions.

Now, Sophos is telling me to restart my computer to 'clean up the threat', but even though I've done that, it still won't let me remove the file.

I love my USB stick and have been using it for years, never had any trouble. Do you think I should reformat it or could that damage the stick (I've heard some flash drives aren't supposed to be reformatted, but I really have no knowledge of this)...

Anyway. Any helpful advice would be welcome, because I don't fancy spreading this thing any further.

Thanks in advance!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
... it looks like I 'contracted' some sort of malware/virus from the uni's (Windows) computer, when I plugged in my USB stick.
The file may exist on the USB drive but it can't infect your Mac or spread, because Windows apps, including malware, cannot run on Mac OS X. It's completely harmless to your Mac. You can easily reformat the drive to get rid of it. Sophos isn't recommended for Mac OS X, as it can actually increase your Mac's vulnerability. Read the following link for details. There has never been a virus in the wild that affects Mac OS X since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some education and common sense and care in what software you install:

vieh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2011
Thanks for your answers, I reformatted the stick and all seems well.

@GGJstudios: I wasn't worried about my Mac, I was primarily worried about carrying that thing onto other (Windows) computers I would connect my USB stick to. Not really necessary, is it?

Yeah, I know there haven't been any Mac viruses out there yet, I've actually never had an anti virus programme installed in the four years I've been using Mac. But since I couldn't get rid of the files, I thought Sophos may do the trick. Well, turns out it didn't. Thanks for the link though, will definitely check it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.