Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Mar 9, 2005, 06:21 AM   #1
budaapple
macrumors regular

how to take snapshot

Can anyone tell me how to take a page snapshot? Used to know but now have forgotten, please help.
Thanks
budaapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2005, 06:25 AM   #2
edesignuk
Moderator emeritus

Apple+shift+3 takes a full screen snap shot.
Apple+shift+4 allows you to select an area to screen shot, you can also hit the space bar which will then allow you to select a window to screen shot.

Is that what you mean?
Old Mar 10, 2005, 07:20 AM   #3
kwajaln
macrumors 6502

Or use Grab (in utilities) and then "capture". When I first switched to Macs, not that long ago, I found this easier than using the keyboard shortcuts because I could see exactly what my options were on the drop-down menu. I also like the "selection" option that enables you to drag your mouse over the exact area you want to take the screen shot of.
kwajaln is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 07:32 AM   #4
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajaln
Or use Grab (in utilities) and then "capture". When I first switched to Macs, not that long ago, I found this easier than using the keyboard shortcuts because I could see exactly what my options were on the drop-down menu. I also like the "selection" option that enables you to drag your mouse over the exact area you want to take the screen shot of.
Speaking of this, why is it that there are Grab services to capture screen or window, in the services menu of every program, but they don't even work in Finder itself?
Old Mar 10, 2005, 08:07 AM   #5
yellow

From the horse's mouth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrishnan
Speaking of this, why is it that there are Grab services to capture screen or window, in the services menu of every program, but they don't even work in Finder itself?
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75484

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple KBase 75,484

About Grab Services

Grab services are available in applications that support services and can accept the result of the service. In the case of the Grab service, TextEdit can use Grab when a document is open, since there is a place to put the resulting image. In the case of the Finder, it has no place to put the result without creating a new document, something a service is not able to do.
yellow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 01:15 PM   #6
PickledSquirrel
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by edesignuk
Apple+shift+4 allows you to select an area to screen shot, you can also hit the space bar which will then allow you to select a window to screen shot.

Is that what you mean?
Thanks still learning shortcuts and loving must of them

-Squirrel
Old Mar 10, 2005, 02:14 PM   #7
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Thanks, Yellow! That explains a lot. I didn't realize Grab was different than using the keyboard shortcuts (which save a file to the desktop). Now I'm curious to see if Grab can save as JPG from the start, which would be useful in comparison to saving a PDF and converting it. Will check that for myself when I get home.
Old Mar 10, 2005, 03:05 PM   #8
aus_dave
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrishnan
Now I'm curious to see if Grab can save as JPG from the start, which would be useful in comparison to saving a PDF and converting it.
Grab captures in TIFF format, which IMHO is nicer to work with than PDFs in Photoshop. You can cut and paste direct from Grab to Photoshop.

The Apple+shift shortcuts are great for taking a screen shot for emails (good for showing disbelieving webmasters how bad their site renders on a Mac ).
aus_dave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 06:37 PM   #9
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus_dave
Grab captures in TIFF format, which IMHO is nicer to work with than PDFs in Photoshop. You can cut and paste direct from Grab to Photoshop.

The Apple+shift shortcuts are great for taking a screen shot for emails (good for showing disbelieving webmasters how bad their site renders on a Mac ).
I was thinking of putting screendumps into photobucket to show y'alls. Unfortunately, photobucket does not take TIFFs. So either way, I must open it in a second app and edit it into a JPG or BMP or etc....
Old Mar 10, 2005, 06:56 PM   #10
floatingspirit
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Yahoo to floatingspirit
Keyboard Shortcuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PickledSquirrel
Thanks still learning shortcuts and loving must of them

-Squirrel
Check this thread, I posted a PDF of Panther shortcuts:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...52#post1317352
Old Mar 10, 2005, 07:20 PM   #11
iLikeMyiMac
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to iLikeMyiMac Send a message via MSN to iLikeMyiMac
Quote:
Originally Posted by edesignuk

Is that what you mean?
If you don't want to have it save as a .pdf to your desktop you can press control in addition to the above key commands to copy the image to the clipboard.
iLikeMyiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 07:43 PM   #12
Blackheart
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Blackheart
Someone should make a sticky with all of the shortcuts. I think it would be useful for all of the people new to OS X.

Great Stickies:
GUIDE: Zap PRAM, Repair Permissions, & run FSCK
GUIDE: Networking Windows with OS X
Guidelines for Getting Help
Blackheart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 07:47 PM   #13
jsalzer
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to jsalzer
SnapNDrag

Hey, try out SnapNDrag (freeware with some shareware additions that do special things - but you don't need those).

It's the best of both worlds. Shoot the screen, a window, or a selected part of the screen. Then drag the result from a "well" in SND's window to wherever you need it. No need to save a temporary pic on your desktop that you'll later have to clean up. If you want to save it, give it a name within the app and drag the shot from the well to wherever you want the pic file saved. It's beautifully done.
jsalzer is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store