Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
So Apple replaced my old computer with a new Quad i7 2.2GHZ the day they were released (2/24). They also upgraded my glossy standard screen with a HR Matte screen. I have since upgraded the RAM to 8GB and the HDD to a 640GB Samsung 7200RPM drive.

Here is my thinking. I have more "horsepower" than I need in all honestly. My old 'Classic' early 08" had a 2.5GHZ Penryn with 4GB of RAM and the Matte screen, so I think the performance of the Air and that one I had for a few years it comparable. Really the only intensive programs I use are Photoshop CS4 and Aperture 3, but an SSD will help with the speed. I don't "batch process" 100s of photos at a time, so I would think it will be fine on the Air.

I would sell this computer to help fund the purchase of a 1Ds2. This would be my only computer, as my 15" is my only computer. My concern is the size of the SSD and playing NBA 2K11 and Black-ops. From what I understand, the SSD is soldered to the LogicBoard, so what I choose now is what I am stuck with...My iTunes library is 100GB of music, so I presume alot of swapping of music, just like what I did on my iPad.

Any advice is much appreciated. I will head down to the Apple Store tomorrow and check them out. I have heard that a refresh maybe coming in June as well....

Whorehay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
So Apple replaced my old computer with a new Quad i7 2.2GHZ the day they were released (2/24). They also upgraded my glossy standard screen with a HR Matte screen. I have since upgraded the RAM to 8GB and the HDD to a 640GB Samsung 7200RPM drive.

Here is my thinking. I have more "horsepower" than I need in all honestly. My old 'Classic' early 08" had a 2.5GHZ Penryn with 4GB of RAM and the Matte screen, so I think the performance of the Air and that one I had for a few years it comparable. Really the only intensive programs I use are Photoshop CS4 and Aperture 3, but an SSD will help with the speed. I don't "batch process" 100s of photos at a time, so I would think it will be fine on the Air.

I would sell this computer to help fund the purchase of a 1Ds2. This would be my only computer, as my 15" is my only computer. My concern is the size of the SSD and playing NBA 2K11 and Black-ops. From what I understand, the SSD is soldered to the LogicBoard, so what I choose now is what I am stuck with...My iTunes library is 100GB of music, so I presume alot of swapping of music, just like what I did on my iPad.

Any advice is much appreciated. I will head down to the Apple Store tomorrow and check them out. I have heard that a refresh maybe coming in June as well....

Hard to make a decision for you if you will be using Photoshop and Aperture, but in my experience, it's fine but not ideal. However, I love the power/size combo and don't think I'll give up this machine for an MBP. If anything I'd just get a cheap PC desktop to pair with it if I need the power.

The SSD is not soldered onto the computer, the RAM is. So most people here would recommend the 4GB of RAM because you cannot replace that aspect of it. Not saying the SSD is easy to change, but I believe it is possible and there are kits out there that allow you to do it.

unclet

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2011
Bloomington, IN
I work in Aperture 3 a lot on my 13" Air, and it feels much faster and more responsive than it did on my 2009 Macbook Pro, so if that's your main concern, I'd recommend the Air.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
ok, thanks guys. I didn't know the RAM was soldered onto the board. So I will do the 4GB RAM if I decide to get this, which I am kinda stoked to do!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.