Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Apr 30, 2011, 07:20 AM   #1
cathy88
macrumors member

Macbook Pro multi monitor (Displaylink)

Im currently using a 17" Macbook Pro and I would like to set up two dual external monitors for it. After researching I understand there are few ways

Matrox DualHead2Go
USB adaptor with DisplayLink Support
PCI express graphic card (work for my 17")

Im lending towards using the USB adaptor one simply because its cheaper (similar price to PCI express card too).

My question is there are so many product supporting displaylink which is the best? I understand I cant play videos or games on this, which I am fine with.

Thanks in advance
cathy88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2011, 07:35 AM   #2
johnnj
macrumors 6502a

I have this one:

http://www.jr.com/diamond-multimedia/pe/DDD_BVU195/

I think that all devices based on specific DisplayLink chips are pretty much the same. Just go for the one that provides the resolution you require. They all use drivers direct from DisplayLink.

I looked into the Matrox solution and it wasn't going to work for me because I wanted the 2nd monitor to be in portrait orientation.

As you said, performance isn't great on the USB monitor, but it can be adequate depending on what your needs are.
johnnj is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro