Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zim

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 5, 2002
My wife and I have decided not to renew our lease in hopes to buy a house (already pre approved for our mortgage and have been shopping around). So, this means, deep breath, moving in with her mom for a short, emphasis on the short, period of time.

My question is regarding keeping us networked (We both do freelance so having access to the web is important). Her mom has a single PC running Windows 98 on a DSL connection. We have two Macs running on a wireless set up. My current wireless devices are an original ABS and a single AirPort Express. The situation is, how do we keep her active while granting us access to the web through our computers?

Some ideas that I have thought about...
1. Buy the a new ABS Extreme so that her computer can plug into the LAN port (eek a bit on the expensive side).
2. Buy a second AirPort Express so that one is used to distribute the single and the other is connected to her computer (more reasonable price plus could be used in our new home).
3. Buy a hub for 40 bucks knowing that I will never use it again after... hopefully a months time.

Both 1 and 2 are most appealing because it would allow us to buy something that would extend or add to our wireless network when we do buy a house. Number 3 seems like wasted money because we would never use the hub again but might be the easiest and best way to do this.

Does Windows 98 even work with the AirPort networks?
Would Windows 98 work plugged into the ethernet port of the AirPort Express?
Is it east to set up?
Ideas?

Thanks!

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Why not just get a new third party router. I got mine for like 20-30 bucks at best buy. Much cheaper than airport, works just fine, and includes 4 hardwired ports so your mother in laws machine can be plugged directly in. No reason to make this complicated and expensive, just buy the cheapest working solution and move on. Shop around. This could be a really cheap thign to accomplish.

A hub may not be a good solution because unless the modem acts as a router, you need something to act as the DHCP server (this varies by ISP and modem)

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Get a cheap wireless router. It would allow you to extend your wireless network and hook up your moms computer to it with ethernet. Plus it is cheaper than any of the solutions you said ($20-30, $40 tops).

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
strider42 said:
Why not just get a new third party router. I got mine for like 20-30 bucks at best buy. Much cheaper than airport, works just fine, and includes 4 hardwired ports so your mother in laws machine can be plugged directly in. No reason to make this complicated and expensive, just buy the cheapest working solution and move on. Shop around. This could be a really cheap thign to accomplish.

)

Yeah -- so what if it's $40. Cheaper than any other solution, and you can always use the router later. When you move into your new house, you may want a wired and wireless solution (e.g., a desktop, a printer, whatever). And you're already good to go this way.

zim

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 5, 2002
My only concern with getting a third party wireless router is that I use my AirPort Express for wireless printing and also AirTunes. From what I have read, AirPort Express would not function as I want when adding a third party router in.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
zim said:
My only concern with getting a third party wireless router is that I use my AirPort Express for wireless printing and also AirTunes. From what I have read, AirPort Express would not function as I want when adding a third party router in.
I know what you mean. I have an interesting setup for my home network, to say the least. It does neatly solve all of the problems with file sharing, WDS, DHCP servers, etc. - the only downside is that it's on the expensive side.

Cable Modem
*connected to*
1-port Router
*connected to*
16-port Ethernet Hub
*connected to*
Macs/PCs that connect via Ethernet, Ethernet printer, AirPort Extreme Base Station
*AirPort Extreme Base Station connects wirelessly to*
AirPort Express Base Station, most computers that connect wirelessly
*AirPort Express Base Station connects wirelessly to*
My iMac G4 (see signature)
*connected via Ethernet to*
My Windows PC (no internet access) (see signature)

Quite a complex setup, but it allows:
All computers requiring wired connections to connect
All computers requiring wireless connections to connect
My iMac to connect, which needs the AirPort Express to boost the signal because the wireless reception in my bedroom is lousy
All computers that wish to share files with each other to do so
Blocks file sharing and other local traffic from entering the Internet

zim

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 5, 2002
wrldwzrd89.. you got me thinking.

What if I went: DSL to ABS (original ABS) wireless. Macs all have airPort cards and will connect wirelessly. Windows computer connects by ethernet to AirPort Express thus making it wireless.

Question:
Can a PC running Windows 98 use the ethernet port on the AirPort Express?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
zim said:
Another option would be to get the Linksys WRT54g wireless 11g router. I don't have one, but I've read where it will work with the Airport Express to extend the network. AFAIK, it's the only 3rd party router that can do this. Other routers will only work with the AExp set as a client.

It used to be that you'd have to get some 3rd party firmware for the Linksys to get it to work with AExp. I just read a post that stated that the latest Linksys firmware will work with AExp.

Check it out. The Linksys can usually be had for $40 after rebates.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
zim said:
wrldwzrd89.. you got me thinking.

What if I went: DSL to ABS (original ABS) wireless. Macs all have airPort cards and will connect wirelessly. Windows computer connects by ethernet to AirPort Express thus making it wireless.

Question:
Can a PC running Windows 98 use the ethernet port on the AirPort Express?
One question. Doesn't the ABS have some ethernet ports?

zim

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 5, 2002
ftaok said:
Another option would be to get the Linksys WRT54g wireless 11g router. I don't have one, but I've read where it will work with the Airport Express to extend the network. AFAIK, it's the only 3rd party router that can do this. Other routers will only work with the AExp set as a client.

It used to be that you'd have to get some 3rd party firmware for the Linksys to get it to work with AExp. I just read a post that stated that the latest Linksys firmware will work with AExp.

Check it out. The Linksys can usually be had for $40 after rebates.

Thanks for the tip! I will look into the Linksys.

ftaok said:
One question. Doesn't the ABS have some ethernet ports?

Not the original graphite one. I think that the Snow ABS was the first to have dual ethernet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.